Midwife choice?

RuthN

I've just found out i'm pregnant with number 2 and wondered what my options are in terms of midwives.

I was with the Lanes with number 1 and thought they were really lovely, got on well with my midwife and had a great service. Unfortnuately i've heard there's been a lot of staff turnover and a friend of mine with them at the moment isn't impressed.

I've heard the Oakwood midwives are good but i don't know how/if i'd get to see them.

Of if it's necessary - are the Lanes really that bad now?

Any advice would be great. I'm only 4 weeks so hopefully that will count in my favour in terms of choice!!?

Thanks

I am fortunate to be with The Lanes for baby #2, having experienced their care for baby #1. I am very happy with the care I have received with them so far. It's a bit difficult to comment on anything further without knowing the specifics of why your friend was not happy with them and I appreciate that it may be quite personal.

Wrt to staff turnover, there are are only two staff members that are new to me since baby #1 in 2010-11. I know one had left to pursue a masters, so wasn't leaving as she was unhappy with them.

Feel free to PM me if you want more specific info and good luck with your pregnancy.

I was with the lanes (vanessa) earlier this year and cant speak highly enough of her. Loved her care and still miss our chats! I also received care from jemima (on mat leave I think) Erika and Kate (both still there) who I also really really liked.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

X

I was with The Lanes for my first but didn't have a great time so for my second I just signed up with the midwives at Kings and they were amazing. I hadn't met the midwife who was there for my labour, but I figure you have enough time to get acquainted in those hours!

I was with the Oakwood Midwives for my daughter's birth in 2010, and they were amazing. I think you have to be registered with the GPs at Forest Hill Road Group Practice to receive your antenatal care with the Oakwood Midwifery Service.

http://www.foresthillroadgp.co.uk/clinics.asp

Unfortunately I cannot recommend the GPs or HVs at FHR Group Practice. I had a terrible time with them, and received both incomplete and incorrect medical advice. And adding to the insult, reception staff were often grumpy and unhelpful. I've since changed GPs and registered with a different group practice. I've heard that a lot has changed at FHR since then, so I don't know if maybe it's better now.

So when you think about changing your midwife, think about the HVs too. If the HVs at the Lanes were ok, stick with them?

I had the Lanes Midwifes this time last year and they were amazing! I had an awful first experience at st Thomas's hospital as they were so under staffed I almost gave birth in the waiting room . I suffered a 4th degree tear with my first. I was terrified about giving birth naturally again and was told by St Thomas's I was have to have a c- section. But with the experience, and wonderful Lanes midwifes I had my second naturally and safely and at home.

I had Mary delivering but all the visits after were from different Lanes midwifes and they were all fantastic. And through the 9 months I was so worried all the time about various things and worried I would tear again etc but Yvonne (my assigned midwife)supported and guided me so well and took all my worries seriously and helped me in every way she could!

I would go with the again if I was you ! Good luck !

Sorry big ramble - still sleep deprived !!

I was with Brierley and they were fab. Rae was my midwife and was fantastic. I also had care from katherine and Ruth - all were lovely.

You do have to be planning a home birth to get on their books as such. I didn't end up with a homebirth but they came to kings with me and delivered my son and just made me feel so comfortable

I had a baby with the lanes last year and though i don't have anything to compare my experience to i would say that they are hands down amazing. My initial midwife kate went on to do her masters and sadie who is one of the new ones took over and they were both equally amazing. I cant see why anyone would complain about the luxury in having a community midwife looking after you!!

I was lucky enough to have the Lane look after me too and I cannot speak highly enough of all midwives in the team. The after care was particularly valuable and after a not great birth experience, their professionalism and kindness helped my recovery 100%. Friends who don't live in southwark had a couple of visits from random midwives after birth and were definitely jealous of the daily visits I was getting! (Although now at 2.24 in the AM I wish they'd told me how to get an over tired baby to sleep....)

I've never heard anything negative said about the lanes service. It really is the gold-plated midwife experience imo. You develop a relationship throughout your preg and they'll respect any decisions you make etc

Not sure I'd turn it down if offered

Agree, I've used the Lanes twice and can't fault the care, particularly for my last pregnancy. I had Erika (she was my midwife for all three babies, but the Lanes didn't exist when I had #1) and met a few of the others, all lovely. It felt like luxury having the midwife come to me for my checkups.

I have just given birth to my first child and am currently with the lanes. The care and attention I have received both pre, during and post labour has been amazing. My midwife is Sadie but I had Vanessa and Clemy during the birth. I had a difficult birth and they were so kind and supportive. We have been having a few issues post birth so being able to call the Lanes for help and advice has been a godsend. Sadly I have moved to Hop and won't benefit from the Lanes second time round. I was suprised to hear some people have had a negative experience because the are all lovely ladies.

If you can utilise the service I would take it up a 100 percent.

Having just visited my sister in law with new baby out of London, I now realise even more how amazing the service from the Lanes (and probabaly other local teams) is. My sil has been 'dischsrged' from midwife care - pretty sure she would still be having daily visits if she was in ED. No experinece in past 2 years, but had Erika for all 3 and thought she was fabulous.

Another vote for the Lanes. I had my second with them in November, having had my first also with them 3 years previously. I was with Erika both times but had other midwives for both deliveries. I had one very long and more complicated hospital birth and then a much faster than expected but straight forward home birth and they were fabulous for both. The care during pregnancy and after the birth both times was outstanding and I felt very privileged to have such personal attention and support. I really don't feel either experience would have been so positive were it not for them.

At my first appointment for my second pregnancy, Erika took the time to go through the staff turnover in the team since I'd had #1, which wasn't alarmingly high and totally understandable. There are at least 3 of the same midwives from over 3 years ago and all those on the team while I was in their care have always been excellent. Can't praise them highly enough.

I'm with Salia,

if you get the opportunity to have a place with the lanes you would be mad to turn it down.

I'm with them now and had them for my 1st about 2 years ago.

Erika, Vanessa and Mary are all still there (who incidentally all attended my birth) and there are three 'new' midwives since I had my son, all of whom I've met and are really lovely, I think you actually have to be lovely to work with the lanes!

What is your friend's issues with them?

In all seriousness when I talk to other people about the service I receive / Have received from the Lanes they are astounded at how good it is, we are truly very lucky to have such a service and I know plenty of people don't get on their list as they are so oversubscribed (for very good reason) but is a real shame to them for missing out

Andrea the HV has sadly left FHGP and we are back with her colleague. Sigh.

Oakwood has also had a big turnover of staff in the last two years. Since I had my last baby, at least half of them have moved on. But they still have the same principles and outlook, which is what matters. I'm sure the Lanes are the same.

I had a bad experience with the Lanes at both before and after care. My midwife could not even be bothered to turn up for the birth! That was my first 4 years ago. I called them for this second baby (due June) and they were so rude on the phone I ended up in tears. Highly unprofessional and rude. I'm now at Kings with their midwives who are fantastic.

Hi There

I'm with the Lanes now and they are amazing! My midwife Erica is really good.

When I tell people that I'm with the Lanes, women always say "Lucky you"!

I went to a meeting the other day to meet some of the midwifes and some of the other pregnant ladies in the area, I had a chat with this girl, her friend had a private midwife, and the service was very similar to the service the Lanes give.

So i would highly recommend THE LANES :-)

Hi there,

I just wondered if anyone who has been with Oakwood Midwives could help? Do you have your first scan prior to the booking appointment or after? I have a sheet of paper from the GP that says I will be allocated a midwife between the 12-17th week of pregnancy for a booking appointment but I think the scan is supposed to be earlier?? What is the normal run of events? ( This is my first baby!)

Thanks for the help

Hi- Follow the link I posted above to the FHR group for info on the Oakwood Midwifery Service...

here's what it says,

"Your antenatal care will be carried out by the Oakwood Midwifery Service based at the practice. They will offer you an initial home visit and discuss with you booking procedures, scanning and delivery options and will look after you during your pregnancy. Midwives can be contacted on 020 8299 5696. Your postnatal and baby check will take place about six weeks after delivery and we ask all mothers to attend this appointment. Your doctor will discuss with you any problems you may be experiencing. The midwives also run an early pregnancy/prenatal clinic on alternate Tuesday mornings 8.30 - 10.00am (please see the board in the waiting room for details)."

xx