2nd dose bookings moving date earlier

apod

Hello,

Has anyone had any luck with getting the 2nd dose of the vaccine sooner that initially scheduled?

I had my 1st dose on 11th May and 2nd dose scheduled for 27th July. I really hope I can move the date sooner. My vaccination centre was at Guys at London Bridge.

Has anyone had any luck with the date being moved earlier? Any tips how can this be arranged? I called the line, but was only told that if I cancel my current appt it will be only moved forward.

Thank you.

Whilst it's great to see anyone wanting to get fully vaccinated as soon as possible I would encourage you to stick with your initial date for the second jab.

I volunteer at a local vaccination centre and we are starting to see a significant number of people coming in trying to change their second vaccination date - most of them for non-essential reasons.

This in turn is taking up a lot of resource time to explain why changes shouldn't be made etc etc.

Of course you can cancel and rebook for an earlier slot if you find one. But remember every earlier slot you book is taking a slot away from someone trying to get their first jab.

The key to beating the Delta variant (and all those variants still to come) is to get as many people as possible, especially now the younger adults, vaccinated with at least one dose.

So unless there is an essential reason for bringing forward your date please do think about the knock on consequences of doing so.

Thanks for volunteering and the information but it does go against what we are being told with by NHSSELondon and media about over-40s bringing forward to 8 weeks. I think it's probably more of a problem if you need something other than AZ which we now appear to be swimming in with walk-ins etc.

This is from a recent PHE preprint paper "Effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against hospital admission with

the Delta (B.1.617.2) variant", available at https://khub.net/web/phe-national/public-library/-/document_library/v2WsRK3ZlEig/view_file/479607329 .

Effectiveness against hospitalisation

Vaccination status

Alpha

Delta

Pfizer Dose 1

83% (62-93)

94% (46-99)

Pfizer Dose 2

95% (78-99)

96% (86-99)

AstraZeneca Dose 1

76% (61-85)

71% (51-83)

AstraZeneca Dose 2

86% (53-96)

92% (75-97)

AlanMBarr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Of course you can cancel and rebook for an earlier

> slot if you find one. But remember every earlier

> slot you book is taking a slot away from someone

> trying to get their first jab.

This isn?t true. People able to bring forward their second dose almost exclusively getting AZ and the younger cohort who are getting first doses are getting Pfizer. The government guidance for over 40s is that second doses should be at 8 weeks not 12 weeks.

Of course people should change their appointment online (which now shows earlier availability when you go to change appointments) rather than bother staff trying to deliver vaccines, but the advice is to bring forward second doses. The Guy?s walkin centre explicitly says they?re for over-40s first and second doses.

AylwardS Wrote:

> Here are details of pop-up clinics for those who

> weren't given a date for the second doe when they

> got their first one. Not sure how rebooking would

> work with these

>

> https://selondonccg.nhs.uk/what-we-do/covid-19/cov

> id-19-vaccine/pop-up-clinics/

From the Guys walk-in information on that page ?This clinic is for anyone age 40+. AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine offered. Second doses offered if it is at least eight weeks since the first dose.?

From experience when the second vaccine is added to your record you get a text from the NHS saying ?our records show you have had both doses of the coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine. We are therefore cancelling your appointment on [date], which was booked through the NHS website or 119. If you think our records are incorrect, contact your GP surgery.?

If anyone actually wants to know how efficacy works see the attached document. The trials never tested for hospital admissions. The end point was a symptom and a positive pcr test. Pfizer has a relative risk reduction of 95% and an absolute risk reduction of less than !%. That means 119 people need to get vaccinated to for there to be 1 less case of covid. But 95% sounds better so everyone sticks with that.

ARR is the difference in infection rates between the vaccinated and the control group. So, it is dependent on the number of positive cases in the control group. It is always a much lower number than the RRR.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-thelancet-riskreduction-idUSL2N2NK1XA

I expect this post will get deleted like all your others, because this type of misleading "information" has no place on these pages which is supposed to be for constructive Covid related info.

apod Wrote:

> Hello,

>

> Has anyone had any luck with getting the 2nd dose

> of the vaccine sooner that initially scheduled?

> I had my 1st dose on 11th May and 2nd dose

> scheduled for 27th July. I really hope I can move

> the date sooner. My vaccination centre was at Guys

> at London Bridge.

> Has anyone had any luck with the date being moved

> earlier? Any tips how can this be arranged? I

> called the line, but was only told that if I

> cancel my current appt it will be only moved

> forward.

> Thank you.

Why would you really hope you could move the date sooner? Just be thankful that you have had your first jab.

hammerman Wrote:

> Why would you really hope you could move the date

> sooner? Just be thankful that you have had your

> first jab.

Because having two doses is massively more effective than only having one and the faster we get widespread vaccine coverage the fewer people die. Also because it?s government policy to bring over 40s doses forward from 12 weeks to 8 weeks. Why wouldn?t you really hope to have a potentially lifesaving treatment as soon as possible?

It seems that whilst the AZ vaccine does continue to increase in efficacy after the first dose for some time after 3 weeks, the Pfizer first dose reaches its maximum potential in around 3 weeks - hence that was originally the trigger date for a second dose. As AZ is not being offered in the main to younger patients (because of the clotting issue) bringing forward the second dose does make medical sense. It is still true that the older (even amongst younger cohorts) are more vulnerable than those younger than them, so fully protecting them quickly does now make more sense (the very young adults seem to have - with some tragic exceptions of course - only mild or even asymptomatic infection). Hence government advice to reduce the gap from 12 to 8 weeks between first and second doses. Many will still have booked the second jab 12 weeks later, before that advice changed. And now want to re-schedule to match (the changed) government recommendations.

Government still doesn't seem to have decided whether to extend vaccination to under 18s. It still has a window to do that before autumnal vaccinations for (a) flu and (b) booster Covid for (probably) over 60s kicks-in.

• 2 weeks later...