Forest Hill Road/Colyton Road Roadworks

Do Conway have a monopoly on roadworks in Southwark? Does nobody tell them that it's not acceptable to restrict traffic to one lane only (in each direction) during the rush hour? Surely these are relatively minor alterations, without the need to dig deep holes, so there is no reason why the quality of life of so many people should be affected.

I met with council officers yesterday and discussed this and other road issues within Peckham Rye Ward. The reason why these works were necessary was that the temporary lights, while they look like permanent lights have long outlived their lifespan. They also are inflexible, ie they can only do set timing of the phasings. The new lights are flexible, ie the phases will alter on different times of day and days of week dependant on the traffic levels and pedestrians waiting to cross etc. It should make it better for both pedestrians and road users. It also should reduce the likelihood of jams.

Letters did go out to residents, I am aware that very short notice was given. If anyone living near the junction didn't get a letter please contact me.This was unusually short as Southwark got very short notice from TFL that the team working on the East Dulwich Road junction would move up the road to the Colyton Road/Forest Hill Road junction.

Renata

Renata,

Again I can not agree with you. What do you mean by "they had outlived their life span"? Were they dead? No they were functioning perfectly fine. I have no recollection of any failures in the lights. I suspect you mean that they have been fully depreciated and therefore you assume that to mean that they therefore need to be replaced? Most people tend to keep things until the cost of maintenance exceeds the cost of replacement. They don't get rid of them simply because they have finished paying for them!

Next you state that these new flexible lights should be better for both pedestrians and motorists. Better than what exactly. I have previously asked you how many people complained to you about the "temporary" nature or phasing of these lights. Your silence on this leads me to believe that no-one made any complaints.

Therefore what is the justification in spending money on what is a fairy minor junction? I can only think its because there was unspent cash in the current years budget and the council were frantically trying to find anything to spend it on to ensure their budget was not reduced in subsequent years.

STOP WASTING OUR MONEY!!!

Edited to correct typos

Hi Steve and David,

these lights were put in as a temporary measure. Probably if permanent lights were planned from the outset, different ones would have been installed from the start. The replacement of these lights has come from TFL. The temporary light' don't conform with the standards for permanent lights. I suppose it's a bit like arriving at a workplace, being given an old computer to use to write documents and access the web, but it's not being up to scratch; yes it works, but isn't suitable for long term use.

Renata

Fact 1:

The lights were supposed to be a temporary measure whilst the Thanes Water works were undertaken,

Fact 2

When the work was completed the zebra crossing was NOT re-installed.

Fact 3

The council then conducted a ?consultation? on Forest Hill Road.

Fact 4

The council based on the outcome of the ?consultation? said the traffic lights would become permanent

Fact 5

Now ?The replacement of these lights has come from TFL?

Question 1

What was the purpose of a consultation, when TFL dictate what happens to the traffic lights

Question 2

Who is ACTUALLY responsibe for this waste of money, the councillors, TFL or something else.

And finally Renata - "perhaps computer says no"

Hi Dbboy,

Q1: the purpose of the consultation was for local residents to give their opinion as to whether they found the junction functioned better with a zebra crossing or with lights. The consultation was done by Southwark.

Q2: In terms of the upgrade of the Lights, that has been done by TFL. TFL deal with all London's traffic lights. So this was not a Southwark but a TFL decision.

Renata

I dont think any one is suggesting we get rid of the lights and have a zebra crossing, its more a question of are we gold plating here by rep;acing what appear to be perfectly functioning and well used lights with something that has a few fancy bells and whistles that won't really help anyone.

Personally, I think we should also be investing in more of the highly used bike paths that border either side of the pelican crossing near (the now closed off to traffic) Frein Road. I wonder what visionary dreamt up this fantasticly effective addition to the local transport infrastructure.

Not quite sure what everyone is getting so upset about - it is only some minor road works for a few weeks. The lights were temporary, there was a consultation, some people wanted them removed - more people wanted to make them permanent - so they they are being made permanent - with some improvements for pedestrians. Sounds reasonable to me.

It's not the roadworks that people are getting upset about, but rather the needless waste of resources. Replacing fully functioning lights with some different lights which are apparently "better". The point being made was that the junction was working fine as it was. There was no need to waste money which could have been spent on more important issues elsewhere within the borough.

I received this today:

Renata

Re: Advance notification of essential highway maintenance work

Forest Hill Road carriageway resurfacing

The Council is about to complete junction Footway improvement works and Traffic signalization at Forest Hill Road junction Colyton Road /Dunstan?s Rd. The Council will carry out further carriageway resurfacing improvement from Forest Hill Road /St Aidan?s ? Forest Hill Road out side the cemetery.

The works are programmed to commence week beginning 4 March 2013 and will be completed 8 March 2013 or until Completion of works. However, this date can be extended, if poor weather conditions or any other unexpected circumstances prevail.

To undertake the works safely and to reduce disruption to traffic flows and pedestrian foot flow, the above section of carriageway works will need to be implemented during the nights (Monday ? Friday, 20:.00hours ? 05.00hours) when traffic and pedestrian volumes are reduced.

We will undertake the very noisy works i.e. (the use of pneumatic breaker) before 24.00 hours

However operatives will continue with other works i.e. using paver with flashing beacon for laying tarmac

And delivery Lorries with reversing beeping sound to continue with the work on the carriageway.

The Council requires your goodwill and co-operation to facilitate the works and to help the works to be carried out as quickly as possible with minimum disruption to you and all concerned. Also, we request that residents should kindly park their vehicles elsewhere and avoid the locations where ?No Waiting? cones and ?No Parking? signs are indicated. However, as a last resort, the Council being a highway authority has powers to relocate obstructing vehicles at the owners risk and cost.

Why dont they just get on with this work, i go through there at 7.30am, no one there? Saturday or Sundays ,no one there . It must be the same crew that were NOT working on the other junction ?? I can remember once if these sorts of works were on a London transport bus route they were sorted a bit rapid???

There were four people in hi-vis vests standing around a hole smoking roll-ups the other day, so I guess completion can't be far off.

Was there ever any doubt that these 'temporary' lights would ever become anything less than permanent? I think not.

Hi, If nobodyspeaks,

please could you pm me with your details and I will investigate.

The light replacement works are due for completion by the end of the week, so they are probably at snagging/checking stage now, so this would be why the level of activity has decreased.

Hi BigMacca1, these works were scheduled for normal working hours only (outside hours increase costs)

Renata

ifnobodyspeaks Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've still not received any notification about any

> of these works despite living on St Aidans Road.

> Great communication.

I also live on St Aidan's Road and have recieved no notification about this. Does the council actually bother notifying residents at all? It really doesn't seem like it.

Please tell me this latest development doesn't mean the bus stop by the Herne Tavern will be closed?