Forest Hill Road/Colyton Road Roadworks

I agree with Bigmacca, the works have been painfully slow, digging a hole that really should be done in hours seems to take days, re filling again seems to take an age. I saw them there saturday through the day as I was passing by a few times, but very little progress seemed to have been made. The Streetworks legislation which applies to utilities penalises them if their works over run the alloted time, they have to pay fines, I assume to either TFL or the local Council. It would be interesting to know if they apply the same legislation, or at least abide by the spirit of it to their own works. Still, given that we didn't even get a communication from Southwark Council regarding the commencment of these works, I doubt that asking the question would even receive any kind of a response.

One of the problems here is that different gangs have different skills - at the worst the hole diggers are a different group from the workmen who deal with what is in the hole, and the hole fillers (who restore the road surface) are a third group. Each group has to be scheduled into the work - not infrequently the hole fillers are not immediately available once whatever the hole is for has been completed - hence we see diggings with no work going on waiting to be filled. Workmen will be scheduled for cost efficiency (assuming the job is fixed cost) rather than for resident convenience. Unless timeliness of completion is made a clear part of the contract, contractors will not be over-worried by over-runs, and will schedule workmen to fit their cost and profit profiles. For most utilities speed of restoration of service (including stopping leaks etc.) will be the Key Performance Indicator - with restoration of the roadway a very poor second.

^^^ The traffic lights are set to be completed this week? They don't look anywhere close to being finished to me, and it's Thursday now!

Please could you tell us how long the resurfacing is going to take, and is that the last lot of works on Forest Hill Road?

The council has made commuters' lives a misery for two months now, not that anyone gives a damn I'm sure.

Just popped down to the co-op. Not a traffic light in sight, though the holes on the south bound (ie up the hill) have been filled in and the pavement returned to the extent that I walked past wondering why the heck there are plastic fencing up the road when nothing is in fact being fenced off! I guess we have just seen completion of phase 1 which is to remove the (4 years standing) "temporary" danger to human life and property lights and now we'll get the gang who come along and dig it up again to put the new super permanent super deluxe super light traffic lights in place?

What we actually have now is true temporary lights, which have replaced the old permanent ones, cost us god knows how much and have been a real pain the backside. Way to go Southwark Council. A*se/Elbow etc etc

I just received a letter today informing us of the extension to the roadworks up to the cemetery, starting on 4th march. They are doing most of the work overnight to reduce traffic issues and will stop drilling at midnight (well that's alright then, not!)

Looks like they are getting around to the road resurfacing. Colyton Road now closed off, hopefully just for the night. Not sure if they are resurfacing here or just using it as a staging post for the - quiet impressive - kit they have. 7 dumper trucks also parked along Peckham Rye. No notice still. Fingers crossed they won't be move my car and charge me for the privelage.

Hello all,

I have received the letter (see below) which in summary says that unfortunately the works won't be completed by tomorrow but by next Friday, 15th.

Following my complaint, I believe that letters were distributed to St Aidan's on Tuesday (Thanks to the St Aidan's Rd Residents who contacted me). The information on the planned distribution that I now have, indicates that letters were due to go to the part of St Aidan's Rd nearest to Forest Hill Rd in the initial distribution (and sections nearest to Forest Hill Road of all roads feeding into Forest Hill Road).

Renata

Dear Cllrs,

Ref: Update on Forest Hill Rd/Colyton Rd junction Highways Improvement works

We have noticed that there have been comments on East Dulwich forum (EDF) relating to works at Forest Hill/Colyton Rd junction

I would like to update you on progress so far:

? Transport for London (TfL) signal installation contractor (PEEK) is currently on site installing the new traffic lights.

? TfL informs us that that new lights will be ready for commissioning next week, hopefully by Friday 15 March.

? We have noticed some concerns on EDF in relation to delay to our work programme. The letter sent to residents only showed programme for FM Conway works and mistakenly did not include duration of works for signal installation by TfL, which normally follows after Conway civil works. This lack of information on the notification letter may have caused the misunderstanding and we apologies for this. We are confident that the works will be completed next week as mentioned above.

Renata,

Just so we are clear here, the works which were scheduled to take 3 weeks are actually taking (at least) 5 weeks, a whole 66% longer than planned.

I would therefore presume that the Council will be imposing a fine the contractors for this? May I also ask who is responsible for monitoring the contractors. How can it be acceptable for such long delays to incur?

In addition, how on earth does it take 5 weeks to replace one set of lights on a not-very-busy junction. How on earth did we ever build a road system!?!

I would assume the works are being managed by a council officer in the role of contract manager on behalf of teh council liasing with a similar person at conways and Peek, any contract should set out what is being purchased, how it will be delivered/implemented, timescales, costs and pany associated enalties for not meeting deadlines, (if this was even included in the contact) is this the case Renata?

And you still have not answered the question I asked you some weeks ago on EDF about accident levels by Cabrini, any chance of an answer to that as well?

I hope that the clear and present failings involved at this junction do not in any way deter those wishing to see improvements at the top of Forest Hill Road. For those who have not seen it, there's an equally long thread called "Complaining about traffic on Forest Hill Road" on the forum too.