Fox cull petition

Alan Dale

Quite.

We tamed the wolf into the poodle. I'd rather have wild foxes in london than see people walking round with broken spirited toy sized "fogs".

Please don't feed foxes. It's a right nuisance and is contrary to their interests, as per LD's post.

Disclaimer: I am against the reintroduction of wolves to the Home Counties.

:-)

LD, my point was that feeding and taming wild rats is entirely possible. In the 1800's, in only a few generations, wild rats were selectively bred to produce the domesticated rat.

It might be possible to select and breed from tamer foxes to produce a domesticated fox- this was done from a population of wild silver foxes in Russia. Tame foxes might be the answer ;)

Ridiculous.

We build and build and build but foxes should be killed? When will humans take responsiblity.

I hope the majority of people that see this do not sign it. How fare is a fox attack? Much rarer than a car crash but we wont ban cars.

Accidents happen, you dont need to start a cull because of one incident, an incident I also find very hard to believe even happened.

• 2 weeks later...

The only cull needed is the amount of humans taking liberty with nature and the planet not mention the benefit systems.

Its disgraceful to even think about a cull, shame on you !!!. Media and lack of uneducated people about wildlife that cause the issues in the first place. To many people with no brain cells walking around as if the world owes them something, read book perhaps your learn about what wildlife is. Perhaps you should recycle your petition in the bin.

• 4 months later...
I just witnessed our two cats (brother and sister) stalk a large fox in our garden, I saw them and was worried it might attack them so went outside..what I didn't expect was our cats to turn on the fox and give it a good hiding then they chased it out of the garden..I could only watch with bemusement as it rushed past me squealing with one of my cats digging a claw in its backside. So thats answered the cat/fox question, in my garden anyway.. who knew.

Until your cats become old and infirm and then they become the fox's prey. Nature- it's all swings and roundabouts.

In culling foxes one would need to know the population and then what the ideal population is. A total wipeout would probably mean proliferation of other'vermin'.

dillwihs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The only cull needed is the amount of humans

> taking liberty with nature and the planet not

> mention the benefit systems.

> Its disgraceful to even think about a cull, shame

> on you !!!. Media and lack of uneducated people

> about wildlife that cause the issues in the first

> place. To many people with no brain cells walking

> around as if the world owes them something, read

> book perhaps your learn about what wildlife is.

> Perhaps you should recycle your petition in the

> bin.

Completly agree, Dillwihs, well said.

• 6 months later...

A cull might be kinder on a natural level than what happens in some areas. Someone I know moved to the country and one day they saw a fox taking their dog's food. They were surprised as in the country you rarely seeing a fox. Then they noticed it had a square shaved patch on its abdomen, and they were told that 'humane' pest controllers in some cities are trapping foxes, spaying them and releasing them into the wild. Unfortunately town foxes don't know how to cope as they're used to living above ground rather than under it and scavenging rather than hunting, and if they can't breed they're not going to become part of a family group, so their lives are pretty miserable.

I think there should be much tougher laws against leaving food waste lying around or feeding foxes (I've seen several people do that round here) as getting that right would make a difference.

By the way, we do cull dogs. If they're abandoned by their owners and no one wants to take them in, they're usually put down - they don't get to roam the streets in packs.