Banned in London...

Top Banana

In the spirit of community cohesion, I thought I would bring this map to your attention - especially with regard to the alcohol confiscation zones.

http://bannedinlondon.co.uk/map.html

For instance, you can have a nice picnic with wine in Dulwich Park, but not in Peckham Rye Park or Brockwell Park. Alcohol does not have to be open to be confiscated. Alcohol confiscation powers have been granted to various members of the stasi to civilians, including private security guards and council officials under the Police Community Accreditation Scheme.

Please note it is not required that you are behaving in a disorderly manner to have your alcohol confiscated ? only that the stasi accredited person ?reasonably believes that a person is, or has been, consuming alcohol [within the designated area] or intends to do so?. Unopened containers can be confiscated. The refusal to surrender alcohol is an offence, punishable with an on-the-spot fine or prosecution.

If you are on the wrong end of Barry Road and come across a particularly officious member of the stasi accredited person then you could well have it confiscated from your shopping - although I must stress I personally have never heard of this happening. Mind you, you never know in this day and age.

TB.

Is there any evidence of the powers actually being abused?

The Home Office guidance says:

"It is the intention that the extended confiscation powers provided by the Licensing Act should be used against those who are, through their drinking, causing a public nuisance or likely to do so"

An arbitrary exercise of the power - confiscation from your shopping, for example - is very likely to be unlawful.

just cos a statute is in place, doesnt mean it is rigidly enforced by the "Stasi". Believe it or not, but the people who do the enforcing are humans and are able to work out whether the situation deserves attention/ action. there is a difference between family group on the rye sharing a bottle of wine on a sunny sunday afternoon, whilst the kids frolic, and a posse of spitting bludz, power drinking buckfast and insane on "skunk" mary jane and plotting to destroy the ville and set fire to the East Dulwich Deli.

innit.

nah

Im not supporting the statute or the use of private revenue muscle to potnetially enforce it, but usually comment like the OP go hand in hand with the guff spouted by UKIP/ Taxpayers alliance mentality.Nothing personal mr Banana, I have no idea if you are indeed a slavering hang em high type, so dont take it personally.

Um no, you misunderstand me Mr Woodrot.

All I am trying to do is make sure people do not lose a valuable commodity through lack of knowledge.

I am completely apolitical. Any legislation can be designed for one problem with the best intentions, then woefully misused with RIPA being one such classic example.

Your example - I am not going to take your alcohol because you seem like decent types, whereas I AM going to take your alcohol cos you seem like a scrote - is never going to work in real life.

"Your example - I am not going to take your alcohol because you seem like decent types, whereas I AM going to take your alcohol cos you seem like a scrote - is never going to work in real life."

....except that is exactly how real life works. Law enforcement involves a lot of exercising discretion, and would be unworkable without it. That is also the reason why there is guidance on how discretion should be exercised. It does mean that people who are on the wrong end of stupid decisions should take on the tiresome business of making an official fuss about it, because that is how decision making gets better. If you are properly interested then make a FOI request to Southwark/Lewisham/Greenwich, and the Met, asking them to disclose the guidance they give on the exercise of these powers.

To me, yes, you are absolutely correct. The law should be used with discretion - that is how society works.

However, if you are confronted with a private sector contractor, with enabled powers but targets to hit then discretion will not be used. Revenue must be made and profits must be made.

The website in the link states:

'ALCOHOL CONFISCATION

Police officers have the power to confiscate alcohol in this area

Borough: Southwark

Alcohol confiscation zone: Borough wide

Number of alcohol confiscations: Unknown

Details: Affects all of the borough except East Dulwich, Village and College wards. Failure to comply could lead to arrest and/or a maximum fine of ?500.'

I understand that to mean that if you are having a picnic in dulwich park (as per the example in the original message) with alcohol you would be okay???