getting DD into dulwich schools for sept 2013?

movingeast

Hi,

We have been househunting in SW London but I recently visited Dulwich and have fallen in love with it. My husband will consider looking at houses in Dulwich ONLY if I can find a good private school for my DD, who will be 5 in Sept. She already has a place at a good SW private school.

Do you think she will get into a private school at this late stage? Do you know what the process might be? I am keen to get more info but as it is halfterm most staff are away so am waiting till next week to speak to registrars.

She will be 5 in September. She is a happy, confident little girl, sociable and doing well at nursery. I have no issue with having her assessed if need be (she was assessed to get into the SW school).

Also, will I find a nursery place for my DS easily?

It's a bit daunting changing our search but we are struggling to find what we want in SW London.

I will be posting some questions about houses and roads in ED on a separate post...

Thanks all!

I'd think that there is a good chance of getting a place at a private school after the state school places are announced in April. There are a lot to choose from in the East Dulwich/Dulwich/North Dulwich/Herne Hill area. Nursery place might actually be harder than a school place...

Hi movingeast

There are lots of great schools and nurseries in this area, so it's good to come to with small children. Re schools, I suspect that you are too late for what's thought of as the prime private schools, such as Alleyns, Dulwich Prep, JAPPS, Herne Hill, Oakfield and Rosemead etc. We've just been through the process with our son and all those schools had their assessments Nov to Jan and have made all their offers now. There may be spaces at schools which are also nurseries, such as The Villa, I don't know much about it, but seems to get good reviews on here. Re nurseries most have a waiting list, so get your son down as soon as possible, I love our nursery (Nellys) but I know it has an 18 month waiting list, also Ducks, again v good (and also a good school up to 7) but has a three year waiting list. In summary, we are blessed with wonderful schools and nurseries around here, but because of that lots of families have moved to the area and demand is very high - and being willing to pay doesn't mean anything - Alleyns has a ratio of 20 applications for each place a 4+, and it's only going one way.

Best of luck, it is a lovely area.