Playmobil Hand hits East Dulwich

Did you see this quote from a local GP in the paper today?

?I?ve had an almost overwhelming increase in the number of patients presenting with PlayMobil Hand at my East Dulwich practice. The condition usually occurs on one side [of the body] only and inhibits the ability to rotate the wrist or grip small objects. PMH is a variant of RSI and is caused by frequent, reoccurring behaviour - specifically holding cylinders vertically for many hours during the day. These cylinders have been identified as liquids containers which include such things as bottled water and take-out coffee. However, the complaint crosses the whole of society as extra-strong lager cans and supermarket own-brand cola bottles have also featured in case studies.?

?Vertical grip adaptations for the benefit of sufferers have already been made to shopping trolleys and some pushchairs, but successful treatment may simply involve basic behaviour modification programmes. Playing a musical instrument is a great help ? piano rather than saxophone, obviously ? as is the wearing of the watch on the dominant hand.?

Not strictly East Dulwich, but I got a similarly bizarre email this morning from a company that I book a lot of travel with - until I looked at the date that is...

"Buckingham Palace set to become the ultimate British B&B

In a move that will shock traditionalists, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II today announced that Buckingham Palace, the official residence of the British monarchy since 1837, will open its doors in October this year to paying hotel guests."

This is not an April Fool joke.

We doctors have long recognised PMH or spannerius wankeri to give it's medical name as a serious and disabling medical condition. The patient has to avoid all expensive coffee chain cups and is not allowed to grasp anything larger than a polystyrene cup of builder's tea. They are also prescribed those novelty baseball caps that hold bottles with the straws attached so they don't have to ponce around clutching bottles of water. In fact poncing around in general is discouraged, not on medical grounds but as a matter of general principle.

If you or a loved one is worried about PMH then come and see me at my open surgery tonight betwqeen six and eight at Dulwich medical centre in Crystal Palace Rd.

I'm there under my real name of Dr Feelgood.

• 2 weeks later...