sainsbury local lordship lane incident

jojobaby

Deleted initial post.

I see I got a bit imagination and made a movie out of it. I am glad they managed to resuscitate the man and hope he is recovering well in hospital. Hope the lady that was in Barry Rd is doing OK too. Strange that the two incidents happened so close together at the same time and were not related.

Lady in Barry Road seemed to have connection with Barry House as staff were coming over to her and it looked as though it was a staff member who went into ambulance with her. 3 police cars and paramedic in attendance for over an hour. Also plain clothes officer with stab vest.

I hope the person is doing ok, if resuscitated and taken to King's then they have a very good chance of making a good recovery and having tests to see if there is an underlying cause that can be treated to prevent or protect from another event, I wish them and their family well.

It sounds as though someone from the public made some very good choices calling the emergency services and giving CPR and this might also be a good point in the thread for people to share or give a list where community defibrillators are accessible in the area.

Almost all out of hospital arrests are a very fast unorganised heart rhythm that can be reset by the use of one of these defibrillators. So one person do CPR, one person call 999, so the paramedics can get there quickly and one go grab a community defibrillator.

They are easy to use - slap on the sticky pads and it will talk to you - it can analyse the rhythm and automatically gives a reset shock, while you wait for the professionals to arrive.

If there is not a shockable rhythm then it will not shock, but it will monitor the heart rhythm while you wait for the paramedics - (carry on CPR, but stand away if the defibrillates tells you to!)

It would be great if the community or Southwark could fund one in an obvious place on LL - maybe one in the Library and one in EDT?

Do encourage schools and other community groups to learn Basic Life Support skills - it is so important, it can keep someone going while waiting for the amazing paramedic team.

Good idea re thread - think a separate one in Lounge would work best. Perhaps the Admin could even open up a new category, under Covid-19, perhaps, so it is easy to reference. (I won't start that new thread, heartblock, as you were the one to suggest it.)

Second everything said by heartblcok, the quicker resuscitation begins the better chance of survival, although rates of Out of Hospital cardiac arrests are very low being between 5 - 8%.

Perhaps Southwark Lewisham and Lambeth Councils can work together to have more community AED's available. These pieces of equipment can make all the difference between survival and fatality.

https://www.londonambulance.nhs.uk/calling-us/emergency-heart-care/

Also as I mentioned a list of where they all are - schools may have one (Alleyn's does I believe) but LL is a good place for local businesses to be aware where the nearest one is - cost of AED's not sure as have only purchased through the NHS, but I imagine around ?1000. Not sure these days as they do get cheaper with mass production.

They are easy to use and some of the more expensive ones can even direct chest compressions between the shocks and tell you if you are doing them properly. I think Zoll sell quite a good one with the additional chest compression info. I'll have a look for info.

I don't work for Zoll by the way and there are other manufacturers, it just that Zoll is a standard make in the NHS, named after the Cardiologist Paul Maurice Zoll, who was one of the first people to develop this life-saving technology.

No, not to my knowledge - and I think this would be useful. It's something that Southwark Council could maybe provide or investigate? Or the local St. John's? Or one of the traders groups on LL? I'll have a look on Southwark Councils website - maybe they have this info already?

The Dulwich Society list

shows the one nearest to that incident is at the Dulwich Park cafe. I believe that's thanks to Dulwich Parkrun.

The Heartsafe page, incidentally, isn't accesssible via my older browser. I end up with a "403 Forbidden" message.

Yes the park run had a campaign and had donations to buy an AED, a really brilliant idea. I personally don?t think this forum is an ideal platform for a community AED finder resource, but I?m often wrong, so do feel free to add that to the lounge if you do think it is a goer.

I would rather Southwark Council produced a list of community AEDs that could be sent to all businesses/organisations that have public interaction and updated every year. Maybe something one can ask our local councillors to consider?

I will be contacting mine.