Fireworks

PSJ

Does anyone know why people let off fireworks weeks before bonfire night and Diwali? Every year it seems we enter a period of a month or so of fireworks every single night, which is very stressful as a parent and a pet owner.

Tezza Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Because people are perfectly entitled to do so all

> year round, even if the odd person in the huge

> minority doesn't approve for selfish reasons

> (normally because they choose to keep a dog).

>

> I tend to let them off most evenings in the lead

> up to Halloween (although haven't yet this

> evening), culminating in a big display with loads

> of mates and beer in my garden on bonfire night.

> Its part of our traditions that have been in place

> for well over a hundred years and no amount of

> NIMBYs will be doing anything to stop me.

First post.

Obvious troll.

Usual suspect's latest incarnation, I suspect 🙄

Don't bite 🙄

My dog will never learn to live with it, he shakes like an epileptic with fear, he doesn?t understand there?s no actual danger, his eyes say ?danger? despite reassurances from us and despite him never being harmed by anything to do with fireworks.

You?d think he?d get the pattern, but he doesn?t.

But that?s his and my family?s problem, not the problem of the firework-letter-offers.

The firework-letter-offers have every right to do what they are entitled to.

Just to clarify the law for those who think they are entitled to do what they like:

https://www.met.police.uk/ro/report/asb/asb/report-antisocial-behaviour/report-fireworks-creating-unwanted-noise-and-causing-a-nuisance/

'If you?re experiencing nuisance noise from a neighbour regularly setting off fireworks on their property between the hours of 7am to 11pm, please report this to your local council.

UK night time hours are 11pm to 7am. It's against the law to set off fireworks during these times.

Exceptions to this are:

Bonfire Night (until midnight)

New Year?s Eve, Diwali, and Chinese New Year (until 1am)

If you are experiencing a one-off, prolonged night of disturbance caused by illegal firework use, you can report this online.'

See also: https://www.gov.uk/fireworks-the-law

I don't have a problem with people having 'displays' in their gardens particularly. But the random, single bangers let off at sporadic intervals late at night seem pretty pointless / antisocial. The argument (often used on here in relation to inconsiderate behaviour) that 'it's a big city, people can do what they like' doesn't wash with me. If you live in a built up area then it puts more responsibility on individuals to think of the impact their actions might have on others, not less. If you live in the middle of the country, making a lot of noise may not be such a big issue. If you live in a densely populated street, with people all around you, then it's a different story.

I don't have a problem with people having 'displays' in their gardens particularly. But the random, single bangers let off at sporadic intervals late at night seem pretty pointless / antisocial. The argument (often used on here in relation to inconsiderate behaviour) that 'it's a big city, people can do what they like' doesn't wash with me. If you live in a built up area then it puts more responsibility on individuals to think of the impact their actions might have on others, not less. If you live in the middle of the country, making a lot of noise may not be such a big issue. If you live in a densely populated street, with people all around you, then it's a different story.

I totally agree with Rahx3 - the closer your cheeks and jowls are to others' the more you should do to be a good neighbour. If you live in the wilderness, whoop it up and light fires every night, but don't do anything approaching that when you live in a densely populated city. As for fireworks, I would not allow them to be sold unless to licensed operators which is a complete turnaround from my previous take.

I totally agree with Rahx3 - the closer your cheeks and jowls are to others' the more you should do to be a good neighbour. If you live in the wilderness, whoop it up and light fires every night, but don't do anything approaching that when you live in a densely populated city. As for fireworks, I would not allow them to be sold unless to licensed operators which is a complete turnaround from my previous take.

Nigello Wrote:

> As for

> fireworks, I would not allow them to be sold

> unless to licensed operators which is a complete

> turnaround from my previous take.

I agree.

There is a safety issue, as well as a noise issue, which may affect others as well as the person letting of the fireworks.

My sister once had a burning rocket land on her head.

Nigello Wrote:

> As for

> fireworks, I would not allow them to be sold

> unless to licensed operators which is a complete

> turnaround from my previous take.

I agree.

There is a safety issue, as well as a noise issue, which may affect others as well as the person letting of the fireworks.

My sister once had a burning rocket land on her head.

Is it always the same people doing it though (I have no idea!)?

Could it be that someone has a party and thinks fireworks would be a nice touch, not thinking it inconsiderate as they only have a party every couple of years or so. But there's a volume of people that do that?

I can't imagine one household just regularly letting fireworks off just for the sake of it...

Is it always the same people doing it though (I have no idea!)?

Could it be that someone has a party and thinks fireworks would be a nice touch, not thinking it inconsiderate as they only have a party every couple of years or so. But there's a volume of people that do that?

I can't imagine one household just regularly letting fireworks off just for the sake of it...

KidKruger Wrote:

> Typo there I think IlonaM - 2nd sentence/timings ?

Directly copied and pasted from Met website. I think the gist is that - in case of nuisance between 7am and 11pm phone Council Noise Team and during night time hours, 11pm-7am, where an offence is committed, call the police.

KidKruger Wrote:

> Typo there I think IlonaM - 2nd sentence/timings ?

Directly copied and pasted from Met website. I think the gist is that - in case of nuisance between 7am and 11pm phone Council Noise Team and during night time hours, 11pm-7am, where an offence is committed, call the police.

The town of Oban, on the west coast of Scotland, has announced it is re-instating it's firework display this year, 10 years after the last one suffered a firing mistake and the whole ?6000 of fireworks went off in 60 secs. Fortunately there was a reporter from the Oban Times on hand to record it.

Many said it was the best display the town had ever put on!

The town of Oban, on the west coast of Scotland, has announced it is re-instating it's firework display this year, 10 years after the last one suffered a firing mistake and the whole ?6000 of fireworks went off in 60 secs. Fortunately there was a reporter from the Oban Times on hand to record it.

Many said it was the best display the town had ever put on!

When I were a child we could buy loose fireworks everywhere. It was great fun to let off bangers, one fave was to put it in a cow pat (not sure why). 1000s would be injured each year, and then nanny state started restricting both they types of firework on sale and how old you needed to be before you could buy them. Surely people should have retained that right to self harm (and harm friends and family). And it was also unreasonable that you would then be forced to go to an organised display, even if it was much better than having one in your garden.

We are not going this year, stopped going to Brockwell Park once it became ticketed (and it was getting too busy), Blackheath is too busy, Victoria Park was great but no money this year to hold an event.

And to be serious for a second (a) not sure why people would have their own events when organised ones are cheaper and better

(b) It's the letting them off at silly hours which is annoying. When we were kids we'd be tucked in bed before News at Ten

© not sure how you resolve the stress to animals - having had dogs as a kid and a cat now - we give him that stuff to calm him down.

I'm probably the only one on this forum to have made their own fireworks - yonks ago, and illegal, but a phase I was going through (and had access to the chemicals).

I was looking for a clip of the 1967 film Thoroughly Modern Milllie when China Town erupts (firework factory) but couldn't find one, and it is probably casual racism too.

When I were a child we could buy loose fireworks everywhere. It was great fun to let off bangers, one fave was to put it in a cow pat (not sure why). 1000s would be injured each year, and then nanny state started restricting both they types of firework on sale and how old you needed to be before you could buy them. Surely people should have retained that right to self harm (and harm friends and family). And it was also unreasonable that you would then be forced to go to an organised display, even if it was much better than having one in your garden.

We are not going this year, stopped going to Brockwell Park once it became ticketed (and it was getting too busy), Blackheath is too busy, Victoria Park was great but no money this year to hold an event.

And to be serious for a second (a) not sure why people would have their own events when organised ones are cheaper and better

(b) It's the letting them off at silly hours which is annoying. When we were kids we'd be tucked in bed before News at Ten

© not sure how you resolve the stress to animals - having had dogs as a kid and a cat now - we give him that stuff to calm him down.

I'm probably the only one on this forum to have made their own fireworks - yonks ago, and illegal, but a phase I was going through (and had access to the chemicals).

I was looking for a clip of the 1967 film Thoroughly Modern Milllie when China Town erupts (firework factory) but couldn't find one, and it is probably casual racism too.