Speeding fines

tomskip

Received a speeding fine for going above 20mph (25 actually) in that stretch along Peckham Rye outside Harris Boys School recently, fair cop, will pay up.

So now, as you can imagine, I'm very mindful of the 20mph zones. On Barry Road tonight an A-hole was so impatient to get past me that he actually overtook when I had stopped for a zebra crossing and very nearly took out a family with toddlers walking over the crossing!! Why aren't there cameras on Barry Road? I can't even have the satisfaction of that idiot getting a fine in the post, can I?

tomskip Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Received a speeding fine for going above 20mph (25

> actually) in that stretch along Peckham Rye

> outside Harris Boys School recently, fair cop,

> will pay up.

>

> So now, as you can imagine, I'm very mindful of

> the 20mph zones. On Barry Road tonight an A-hole

> was so impatient to get past me that he actually

> overtook when I had stopped for a zebra crossing

> and very nearly took out a family with toddlers

> walking over the crossing!! Why aren't there

> cameras on Barry Road? I can't even have the

> satisfaction of that idiot getting a fine in the

> post, can I?

I had a Porsche SUV do that to me on the crossing on the corner to the Rye opposite the Clockhouse.

20mph an hour isn't a joke, it's sensible and should be enforced. Forget spot speed cameras and go for average speed cameras. Tech is there but governments do not want to offend the powerful motorists lobby.

The one big issue I have with many types of traffic enforcement is that it demonises the responsible driver whilst the asshols get away with it. I'm not talking LTNs here, that's for another thread.

I had my fair share of points in my yuff, some deservedly, some were trivial. I've also been let off, and at times before digital got away with it (when the camera roll had run out). I've been flashed by cameras a few times in France, which have little tolerance, are well marked, and guess what, the traffic runs smoothly close to the speed limit. You put your sat nav on and relax - helped too by quieter roads. Got caught in Austria ten years ago, and whilst it was two in the morning on winding Alpine Roads, should have been more careful. The Tyrol authorities were a pleasure to deal with, the fine was a big slap on my wrists without being disproportionate, no points and no increase in insurance.

Many years ago I got caught doing a modest speed by a speed trap, I ranted at an Uncle and he replied "how much time did I save, and was it worth it". Years later I realised he was right.

Living the dream as a green warrior on my pushbike I occasionally do a slow down motion with my hands to speeding drivers. Sometimes abuse is shouted by them. I've lobbied MPs for average speed cameras such as on Brenchley Gardens, but got no where.

Need a culture change so that motorists are not entitled to drive what they want, how they want, where they want, when they want etc etc.

Funnily enough I quite like the classic car programmes on the box, car SOS, Bangers and Cash and the like.

Oh and the rrrs who overtook me and other cyclist including young families on Townley on Monday morning on the wrong side of the traffic calming.... Back to my uncle, how much time did you save. O8 blue Zafira by the way.

Looking back on my teenage self and in my 20s if I wanted to have the excitement of speed just go down to the local go cart track or watch some live speedway.

I live on Barry road for 20 years and I have asked the council a number of times over the years to put speed bumps and cameras along Barry road but they refuse saying that the speed bumps will damage buses and also that it's down to the police to request cameras and speed bumps as there has not been any serious accidents along Barry road..

Personally I think it's a joke and they are talking rubbish...

Maybe Barry needs speed cameras, maybe an average speed one?

Don't wish speed bumps on Barry, cars and HGVs still speed over them (if it is a bus route they put speed-bumps in that do not damage buses, consequently they are easy to drive over, so cause terrible vibrations and noise as heavy vehicles still speed over them).

The speed bumps on ED Grove are a joke, we either have idling traffic or speeding cars and they are all in the wrong place as were meant to be pedestrian crossing ramps, but when the Townley/ED Grove junction was redesigned along with these crossings - whatever useless road 'planner' designed that disaster didn't understand that you cannot have pedistrian crossings on a corner or near a junction, so they were abandoned and left as useless, dangerous and noisy speed-bumps

The speed bump on the bend is also dangerous, unmarked clearly for the last 2 years, no warning about it being on a corner and only recently re-painted after an accident. It has also caused vibration damage to my neighbours house and the top floor flats suffer vibrations too.

My neighbours sent in a complaint and I believe they are still waiting for a reply.

mrwb Wrote:

> How did you get a speeding ticket outside Harris?

> Police with speed gun? There isn't a fixed camera

> there?

Of course there are speed cameras there. Do you think I'm making it up?

I'm all for 20mph zones if they are actually enforced. What happens in reality is that people tail gate you and get road rage. Why Barry Road can't have those warning signs that detect the speed you are doing and warn you to slow down, I don't know. Similarly on Lordship Lane driving down from the Harvester to the library, there used to be one of those signs before the bend at Court Lane. That has gone but it was useful for slowing drivers down at a point where lots of people are trying to cross the road (to walk down to Goodrich School for example). Why did it go?

Dimelda, be serious please. Nobody will ever impose 10mph speed limits on public roads. And no point in picking arguments with me as I fully support more appropriate speeds in urban areas and simply wish that the authorities would get drivers to follow these. mrwb - there has been a camera there for yonks. tomskip - surprised that you weren't offered a speed awareness course, although 25mph isn't a frighteningly fast speed.

> it should be 10mph in built-up areas.

Fascinating facts #n+1: The first 15 of the 153 finishers in last Saturday's Dulwich Parkrun actually ran the full 5km (a tad over three miles) at an average speed of at least 10mph.

I don't understand why they don't build speed regulators into new cars. The tech is there - they do it with electric scooters, which are automatically speed limited as they cross into different 'zones'. Why we think it's more important to restrict the speed of a scooter than a 2 ton vehicle is odd.

jim_the_chin Wrote:

> Anyone know who the people are standing on half

> moon lane after the traffic lights near the

> railway bridge / Grafton? Don?t appear to be

> police but checking speed.

These are a group of volunteers and local residents who do speed checks for the police and give details of spenders to police for prosecutions... have seen them along Barry road a few occasions over the years

tedfudge Wrote:

> jim_the_chin Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Anyone know who the people are standing on half

> > moon lane after the traffic lights near the

> > railway bridge / Grafton? Don?t appear to be

> > police but checking speed.

>

> These are a group of volunteers and local

> residents who do speed checks for the police and

> give details of spenders to police for

> prosecutions... have seen them along Barry road a

> few occasions over the years

Very interesting, thanks. Found a few schemes around the country, very clear that people should be visible and operate during the day, neither of which is true for these ones.

Also found this for Southwark which, as a cyclist, is the sort of thing that properly winds up motorists and propagates ?warfare? behaviour towards cyclists from car drivers:

https://southwarkcyclists.org.uk/events/community-speedwatch-98/

Just an unwise term, the rest of the article is more sensible, as are most I have met in Southwark Cyclists when ?I have gone on their rides. I want less cars our street but have grown up in the way I present my arguments. I can still slip into 'entitled motorists' from time to time including the two that just had to overtake me this morning, on traffic calmed roads and I caught up and overtook shortly afterwards.

So on the issue of entitlement, speed limiters have been around for yonks but any imposition will lead to a revolt. Blackbox is a good example, new drivers just want to get rid ASAP, and there are only a few policies aimed at more experienced drivers: "sensible driver? install our black box and reduce your premium". Vehicles have been fitted with 'telematics' for yonks where information on use can be downloaded/shared principally for servicing and maintenance. Fiat have a scheme that rewards owners of Fiat 500s for good driving, and their are devices you can buy which can allow you to compete for fuel efficient driving with others. https://www.expressandstar.com/news/motors/2021/03/16/new-fiat-500-owners-to-be-rewarded-for-eco-driving-with-cryptocurrency/

Back to blackboxes I saw a rear window sticker which said something like: Blackbox fitted - I'm just as peed off as you. I wanted to scrawl "blackbox fitted, responsible driver"

And this is from someone who at the age of 18 the day after passing their test drove with their mother and aunt up the motorway for the first time to see how fast they could get their old car going. Fortunately the speed limiter was the car itself (max about 75mph) but that wasn't sensible. Less enlightened times....

This lot feel that there should be no restrictions on drivers. Reminds me of what I have heard and read on the introduction of the breatheliser - well of course I drive more carefully when I have had a skinful....

https://www.freedomfordrivers.org/

(edited to add links)

Is it Community Speedwatch that's being referred to?

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/safety-and-security/road-safety/community-roadwatch

>Very interesting, thanks. Found a few schemes

> around the country, very clear that people should

> be visible and operate during the day, neither of

> which is true for these ones.

Yes - just like police officers should wear cowbells around their utility belts. It's only way to give burglars fair warning that the cops are around.