Desperate for a new GP

I'm at the end of my tether re my GP. It's impossible to get a same-day appointment, and if you miss the 8 a.m slot for booking, the next appointment they offer (phone consultation only) is in December! They can't all be run like this, can they? Any local (ED, Dulwich, at a stretch Peckham Rye) recommendations? Thank you in advance

DMC do ring at 8.oo but GP will usually rring you back at a given time, depending on out come of conversation can be ofered appt later that day or the next. \

\vry short staffed - only one permenant GP, plus sometimes a locum, also now have a Doctor professionial - hmmm!

Now do phlepotomy for which you can make an appt when you ring.

must agree with you dmc chadwick road it just a joke......

oimissus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not sure which DMC is being referred to but the

> one on Chadwick Road is awful. I'm looking around

> for a new surgery and had heard OK things about St

> Giles, but you have to be on the right 'side' of

> it, I think?

Monkey Wrote:

> The Gardens Surgery is fantastic. I?m hesitating

> to move because I don? want to switch GP.

I recently changed to The Gardens, and I'm very happy with my experiences so far (apart from one very non-welcoming non-medic, I presume one of the admin people, when I went for my "new patient session" with the nurse, but perhaps she was having an off day).

The nurse and GPs have been excellent, though I have had to wait for appointments, but the issues weren't urgent.

The GP appointments were all on the phone but I was very happy with the outcomes and referrals.

So far much better than the two practices I was with previously in the area.

ETA: Depending on what the issue is, you can sometimes circumvent your GP (if you can't get an appointment) by phoning 111. The triage process is a bit of a pain, but once you get to speak to a doctor, you can get an appointment with a GP (not your own) if they think it is necessary, or an A&E/minor injuries appointment ditto, on the same day (in my experience, things might have changed given the current situation with the NHS).

gabys1st Wrote:

> DMC do ring at 8.oo but GP will usually rring you

> back at a given time, depending on out come of

> conversation can be ofered appt later that day or

> the next. \

>

> \vry short staffed - only one permenant GP, plus

> sometimes a locum, also now have a Doctor

> professionial - hmmm!

> Now do phlepotomy for which you can make an appt

> when you ring.

I do not understand why there is a shortage of doctors.

The government pays surgeries for the number of people they have on their books to provide salaries for doctors.

If they could see and talk to people before the pandemic why are they so short staffed now if they were able to operate with no problem before.

Is it a case of letting staff go and keeping the money? Surely the number of doctors should be the same if they are being paid by the government to be there.

DMC always seem to be taking on more and more patient with less and less staff.

Could someone explain

There is a shortage of GPs because so many are either retiring or going part-time, and newly qualified doctors are not keen to become GPs any more (and who can blame them?)

So I've read.

I've also read that existing GPs presently have 300 more patients each than they used to.

As of September 2021 there is 1,704 fewer fully qualified full-time GPs compared to 2015.The average number of patients each GP is responsible for has increased by around 300 ? or 15% - since 2015.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/oct/14/it-is-with-a-heavy-heart-that-i-leave-why-the-unrelieved-pressure-is-pushing-gps-to-quit

Many health professionals have left the NHS in the last 5 years, Covid-19 was the last straw from many. All my friends are thinking of leaving/ retiring early - that is 120 years of very senior, very expert minds leaving because the pressures are too much.

I left 5 years ago and took a 50% pay cut - so I now have to work into my seventies, but rather that than the constant stress and long hours with the threat of clinical staffing cuts and no sign of anything getting better.

bonaome Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> -----------------------

> > but perhaps she was

> > having an off day).

>

> No. She?s like that all the time. And with

> everyone, as far as I can tell, so at least I

> don?t take it personally.

It gave me a really bad first impression of the surgery.

She shouldn't be working in a job where she has to deal face to face with patients.

The other admin sraff and medical staff must be aware, so if she is like it with everyone I find it hard to understand why she is still there.

For those interested in the overall picture in Southwark, link to a presentation given by the local commissioning group to the Council Scrutiny commission this week (haven?t watched the video of the meeting).

https://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s102988/Southwark%20Primary%20Care%20Presentation.pdf

More demand for services (including COVID backlog), less GPs available.

Good tip. I may swap to TJ. Had to make 2 written formal complaints to DMC. Formal complaints get recorded/declared so I now have a template letter 😳 let?s not forget, these surgeries are for profit?they claim a missed appoint fee if you don?t get to your telephone when they call you. They called me 30 mins before my appointment. I was on a call. They say call can be up to an hour before or after the given time. Hour after I understand?.not before 🤷