Goose Green community meeting 18th Jan: keeping East Dulwich clean

jamesmcash

Hi all,

A few people have contacted me recently about issues regarding waste: location of bins, collections, street cleaning etc. So I am organising an online community meeting where Goose Green residents can raise concerns and hear directly from the council's relevant Cabinet Member and Senior Officers. I hope it's helpful!

Details below:

Hello Goose Green resident,

Join your local councillors in Goose Green, Cllr James McAsh, Cllr Victoria Olisa and Cllr Charlie Smith on Tuesday 18 January 2022 for an online ward meeting.

The theme is: Keeping East Dulwich Clean

Guests include Cllr Darren Merrill (Cabinet Member for a Safer, Cleaner Borough) and senior council officers who can answer your questions on:

- Residential waste

- Business waste

- Public bins and street cleaning

The meeting starts at 7pm ? 8:30pm and will take place online via Microsoft Teams.

Pre-registration is required to attend this meeting. Simply visit: https://bit.ly/CleanerED and enter your name and email address.

Hope to see you on the 18 January 2022.

Best wishes

James

On the whole I think Southwark's street cleaners do a great job, not helped by the litter louts who persist in our midst. Some, though, don't put the bags on top of the litter bins, which means they are more likely to be ripped by foxes. Also, leaves need collecting more often and drains need de-clogging to stop the massive puddles we get (cf. Adys Road at Goose Green). If you can stretch your remit to frontages, please be inventive when it comes to ways of getting people to remove scrawl on private business's property - persuade them to act in their own best interests?

• 2 weeks later...

If you live above a shop in Lordship Lane there are limited options for where to put rubbish and recycling which could definitely do with improvement.

Just wondering if anyone who has lived in another borough in a flat above a shop has any good ideas from previous experience to bring to this meeting on 18 January.

Hi James

Could you mention the revolting habit some dog owners have of bagging the dog poo and then leaving the bag on the pavement? Who on earth thinks this is acceptable? If they cannot find a bin take the bag home and put it in their own rubbish bin.

James has been helpful in dealing with the process of collecting the full bins but not picking up spilt litter around them, in Dulwich Village. (Perhaps the bin-bag collectors and installers are forbidden from picking up litter that was already there, likely from crows and squirrels? If so, this is lunacy!) I wonder whether it is a good idea to approach the chains (Costa, Gail's, etc.) to ask them to supply a worker a day (not in their own time, of course) to collect stray cups and wrappers in a 200m distance from their shop? McDonald's do that.

James will you be discussing fly tipping? It is a real problem on Darrell road behind the nursery. The street lights have been broken for months which means it?s dark and easy to dump rubbish. I?ve reported the street lights 3 times. Not the only street in the area where are lights are not repaired and rubbish dumped in the dark.

Hi James

Please can we discuss this (again) at the meeting. The bins on north-cross road- photos from Sunday afternoon (today).

The council licences a street food market and therefore knows there will be waste generated

The council does not empty the bins on Saturday morning before the the market starts, or after the market has finished because north-cross is not classified as a main road. Therefore it is simply left like this until the next scheduled clean up (I believe that north x is on the twice a week cleaning rota due to it's status).

This is despite the issue being raised month after month over several years. This is a predictable, repeated issue but it is never addressed properly or permanently.

I don't know how the council can keep failing to adopt a common sense view that tells us this road needs to be added to the cleaning schedule for the weekends. The law on litter is that cleaning schedules should be determined by the need- this is not happening here.

James, the communal bins just off Oakhurst Grove at Greenview Court are always a disgrace. I assume some of the residents just think you can dump any old rubbish outside these bins (eg mattresses, old furniture, etc). This rubbish spills out onto Oakhurst Grove and takes ages for it to be cleared. When I walk past you also see people going through the bins looking for whatever and throwing the rubbish from the main bins on the ground. This bin area needs to be gated off from Oakhurst Grove, and maybe a camera to stop any residents from dumping.

I see that Walworth Road, which is similar to Rye Lane in terms of businesses and footfall, is very clean. There?s been an effort, I think, to scrub it up and keep it like that (eg. hardly any litter; shop shutters scrubbed clean). How come this is not the case on LL and Rye Lane, where many businesses pay scant attention to how their properties look once they?ve shut up shop?

Was there a special campaign by the council to concentrate on Walworth Road? If so, could the same be done for grot spots nearer to where EDF readers live and work?

Too many businesses (Lloyd?s in N X Road, the pharmacy at the GG roundabout do nothing to clean up their act and ought to be helped/persuaded/compelled to do so.)

Over to you, Cllr.

Hi

I came along to this meeting and didn't find it productive at all. I came with a specific complaint about a council service that I paid for that didn't work, and still don't have a response as to when this will be sorted. I've now made a complaint, attended a meeting in my spare time, and spent a lot of time on hold to various departments trying to get answers to things.

The service I booked is now 3 weeks late and causing a lot of stress among my neighbours. Four days have passed since the meeting and now and nothing has changed.

• 1 year later...

Do you think there'll be another one of these meetings in January to celebrate all the amazing achievements this year and to plan for the year ahead?

I see some Bah Humbug has put signs up around Goose Green itself complaining that the streets haven't been swept for four months.

They should be invited to the next one of these meetings to find out how much effort our councilors are putting in.