Printer Problem

MSA

Hello,

I have a HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-One Printer.

I use it via a wireless connection to a Sony Vaio laptop, which runs on Windows Vista.

Last week I tried to open the 'HP Digital Imaging Monitor' software, which enables a document to be scanned via the printer, but received the following error message -

''Parsing error in file C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqscloc\1033.xml''

I've checked the above file directory and '1033.xml' doesn't exist in the folder 'hpqscloc', instead there is a file called 'hpqscloc.dll'.

The printer is fine when used independently, e.g. photocopying, it's just when I try to print or scan from my laptop. There's no problem with the wifi connection either.

I've Googled the error message, and the general consensus is to uninstall and reinstall the HP software.

I tried this, but for some reason it won't remove all the HP software, which I have to do before trying to install new HP software.

I've also tried System Restore to a restore point before the problem occurred, but that hasn't worked either.

One of the bits of advice on the Google search was to perform a 'forced uninstall' to remove all the original HP software. But having never done this before, I thought I would ask on here first to see if anyone had, and if so could they recommend a reliable 'forced uninstall' software I can download.

I'm also open to any other suggestions to solve the problem.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if this will work in Vista but worth a try - click the start button and in that search box type "windows fax and scan" - you should be able to use this with the connected printer and without the HP software. (I'll be well chuffed if I've been able to help you, pls let me know!)

seemster Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm not sure if this will work in Vista but worth

> a try - click the start button and in that search

> box type "windows fax and scan" - you should be

> able to use this with the connected printer and

> without the HP software. (I'll be well chuffed if

> I've been able to help you, pls let me know!)

I'm afraid it didn't work, it just came up with a list of files non-HP related.

It would've been very neat if it had, thanks for the suggestion.

right-clicking Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This might help !!

>

> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-In

> stall-Setup-e-g-Windows-8/parsing-error-in-file-c-

> program-files-hp-digital-imaging-bin/m-p/1478019#M

> 57352

>

>

> Right-Clicking

Thanks R-C, I followed the instructions but didn't get very far.

When I insert the original HP CD it gives me several options, the closest to cancel being 'Exit'.

I clicked on 'Exit' and then right-clicked on the CD drive in My Computer, but it came up with a 'Please insert disc' message, even though the disk is in there.

One of the other options when inserting the CD is to 'Uninstall', but I tried this before, and it didn't remove all the HP software.

This is the procceedure to completely remove and reinstall.

Here are the steps to resolve this issue (was tested):

Disconnect printer USB from the computer.

Inside the HP software/driver cd, go to "util" directory > "ccc" directory.

In here run Uninstaller_L1 through L4 in order.

Check Add/Remove programs inside Control Panel for additional HP programs that weren't removed and remove them.

Delete HP and/or Hewlett-Packard directory inside Program Files.

Goto Program Files > Common Files and delete HP and/or Hewlett-Packard directory there as well.

Go to Start>Run and type "temp". inside this folder delete all files.

Go to Start>Run and type "%temp%". inside this folder delete all files.

For additional cleanup when using Vista, you can download Cleanup Utility and search for additional HP components that weren't removed. Here's a link for the program: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Restart and reinstall the driver using the CD or web driver.

The issue should now be resolved.

Fox

Thanks DF, when I insert the HP CD a window opens (see attached screenshot pic).

I can't get into specific directories. I previously tried the 'Uninstall' option, but it didn't remove all the HP related software. Do you think I should try again and then follow your instructions from ''Check Add/Remove programs inside Control Panel for additional HP programs that weren't removed and remove them.'' ?