Poor Performance of GP Surgeries

Penguin68

then put those worries/accusations directly ot the GP surgery and say you will include their reply in your letter to an MP. At least then you will have done the most you can adn will have put your claims directly to the doctor or practice manager. I just think you are claiming a lot fo things without anything other than a supposition gleaned from a series of events you have decided add up to your conclusion. Such claims could worry other peopel who up till now may have not even thought about their health being hijacked by a "deliberate strategy" to manage the practice's backlog.

"If I have any questions about their qualifications or their role, I ask questions and if I don't get the answer I want, I ask to see a doctor there and then"

my writing style is v long winded ,apologies

I would rather a HP told me their role ,I'm prob.old fashioned ,but I feel rude asking .

I don't subscribe to a strategy of asking another person a question if I don't like the answer from the first person I asked .

As for asking to see a doctor there and then - you'd expect a doctor to stop what they're doing ( seeing a patient ? ) and immediately come and deal with your queries .

And how would that work on a telephone consultation ?

Jenijenjen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> alice Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The only way to contact them online is via a

> form

> > where you had to sign to confirm you are not

> > seeking any information about a medical

> problem.

>

>

> This is a little misleading. There is a contact

> form which states it shouldn?t be used about a

> medical problem, nothing about ?signing.? I should

> imagine it?s so that those needing medical help

> don?t used a general contact form where there

> query may get overlooked.

not actually 'signing' but ticking a box which in the virtual world is, well, virtually identical. So my intention was not to mislead.

Still misleading. There are options to indicate what your query is about e.g. ?comment or suggestion? ?complaint? which is quite common for online contact forms. To say there is a requirement to tick an option to say the email does not relate to a medical issue is just twisting the facts.

I have to say though I find a couple of the other posts above concerning.

Jenijenjen Wrote:

> Whoeveritis Wrote:

> -----

> > Jenijenjen Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > I submitted an econsult form to FHRGP,

> received

> > a

> > > phone call from them by the end of the day

> and

> > had

> > > an appointment at Tessa Jowell the next day

> >

> > Not any more , their econsult is no longer an

> > option

>

>

> Well, it?s working now. It doesn?t operate when

> the practice is closed.

>

> https://fhrgp.webgp.com/

Nope still not working. Their bleak welcoming voice message says the their econsult is inactive , lol

Not sure if this is of interest or mentioned before but we are registered with DMC and after the usual call at this time, no appointments available, call back tomorrow etc. I just said am I better off registering with Tessa Jowell centre. DMC said oh we can book you an appointment there if you like, there is availability 10, 12 or 2pm tomorrow?

I said yes please?

Seemed a lot easier.

redjam Wrote:

> That's interesting, Granadaland. Is DMC affiliated

> to the Tessa Jowell Centre in some way? I don't

> really understand how it all fits together.

All of South Southwark's surgeries are part of a federation called Improving Health Ltd, through this they were able to offer Covid 19 vaccines at TJC for example and can refer patients to other surgeries for help if they offer a specific service.

The individual surgeries are either independently owned, such as 306 Medical Centre and Lordship Lane Surgery or owned by other companies such as Omnes Healthcare who run the TJC surgery.

• 8 months later...

Quote from the CQC report on DMC (Crystal Palace Road)…

“I am placing this service in special measures. Services placed in special measures will be inspected again within six months. If insufficient improvements have been made such that there remains a rating of inadequate for any key question or overall, we will take action in line with our enforcement procedures to begin the process of preventing the provider from operating the service.”

Report highlights, among many other issues, access issues and reports the response from DMC that they are taking steps to improve access, but any user (or ex-user) of DMC knows that DMC have been saying that for at least the past decade.

At the same time DMC state in this report that the number of complaints about access issues has gone down in the last year. The number of complaints to the CQC has also gone down in the last year. I suspect people have become so exasperated that they have given up complaining or have left and joined other practices, It’s simply not acceptable that a GP surgery at the heart of our community has been allowed to rot in this way.

With the DMC now in special measures there is a golden window of opportunity to finally remove the “provider from operating this service.” This will only happen if the evidence is there to support that action so please, please if you’re a patient at DMC and are not happy with the services you have been provided with keep the pressure up and ensure your voice is heard through the DMC complaints system and through the CQC complaints system.

I have't got the time or strength to list all my complaints about my dealings with the DMC. They have caused me more upset and stress than the actual conditions I'm being treated for. Yet when we first joined it, we were very happy with it compared to FH Rd. Perhaps we were younger and healthier then and didn't actually need any help.

• 2 weeks later...

I am afraid they are institutionally unable to listen and to change and full of poorly educated people - they might have passed some formal tests, assuming they have not been brought in by colleagues against the payment of bribes, but nonetheless very poorly educated and with an even worse customer service attitude.

I have really started to think how better would be to have a monthly or annual voucher for health costs proportionate to age and diagnosed health conditions and be free to spend the money where I trust people and credentials. I would never choose, for instance, a surgery hospital or provider with those fat, even obese, nurses that smell cigarettes and vapes and want to give people lifestyle advice!

And what about the receptionists unable to speak English or to write down an address without spelling mistakes that - hear hear - have the power to decide and write in your records all sorts of absurdities including now even (obviously worng!) referrals! Four out of five NHS receptionists I have had the stressful experience to talk with in my life should not be there in my opinion.

• 5 months later...

“Services placed in special measures will be inspected again within six months. If insufficient improvements have been made such that there remains a rating of inadequate for any key question or overall, we will take action in line with our enforcement procedures to begin the process of preventing the provider from operating the service.” 

Last CQC report was published 4 Nov (last site visit 22 Sep). CQC site today says “Important: We are carrying out a review of quality at Dulwich Medical Centre. We will publish a report when our review is complete.” Action now imminent since six months since last inspection has now elapsed?

Has anyone, anything positive to say about Forest Hill road Group Practice or is still the shambles it has been for a considerable amount of time, I hear nothing but bad things said by people about this practice. Please say if it has got any better or does it need urgent treatment itself. Shame their isn't an A&E for poorly run surgeries!!!!!

I've been at the surgery my entire life. Penny, the advance nurse practitioner is amazing. I'm in the middle of a cancer scare and the GP has been amazing. I was contacted the day after blood results were received and referred to Kings the same day. The same GP phoned me today to see how I'm doing. They certainly have their faults but they've served me well over the past 56 years 

• 3 months later...
On 27/04/2023 at 11:25, green bean said:

“Services placed in special measures will be inspected again within six months. If insufficient improvements have been made such that there remains a rating of inadequate for any key question or overall, we will take action in line with our enforcement procedures to begin the process of preventing the provider from operating the service.” 

Last CQC report was published 4 Nov (last site visit 22 Sep). CQC site today says “Important: We are carrying out a review of quality at Dulwich Medical Centre. We will publish a report when our review is complete.” Action now imminent since six months since last inspection has now elapsed?

Just checked CQC website for Dulwich Medical Centre… https://www.cqc.org.uk/location/1-565650623/inspection-summary

same message as above is on the page and it’s now nearly a further 4 months on. Anyone know what the current situation is? 

Technical question reading the above made me look at my own GP practice. FHGP inspection report says it has 6 gps and 2 partner gps then goes on to say they provide 44 gp appointments each week  Thst just doesn’t sound right.  can anyone correct me?

Ps they have taken on more staff and their performance recently has been vastly, improved in speed and efficiency

Edited by alice

11 hours ago, alice said:

FHGP inspection report says it has 6 gps and 2 partner gps then goes on to say they provide 44 gp appointments each week  Thst just doesn’t sound right.  can anyone correct me?

I suspect these employment figures are absolute, not FTE - many of the GP staff are (or at least were, when I last checked) part-time. And most appointments are on the phone, not face-to-face. I think a 'GP appointment' may refer to a face-to-face appointment in the surgery - which are now as rare as hens teeth. Considering the surgery is always empty of waiters when I (rarely) attend to pick up forms I'm amazed they have as many as 44 a week. Considering the waiters that are there are normally for the practice nurses.