Melbourne Grove Market Trial Online Survey

andrewc

Just flicking through the most recent forward plan and I now have some suspicions as to why my thoughts above received a bit of a hostile response and suggestions that I had some sort of agenda. There is actually a live licensing application for an alcohol license for one of the premises at the closed end of Melbourne Grove, I think for that small coffee place?

Info here:

https://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgAi.aspx?id=63526&LLL=0

Looks as though the applicants aren?t terribly au fait with licence applications and there has been some to and fro to clarify what they are asking in terms of the licence terms - see Appendix B.

I can see that this would be less than ideal if you lived right next door (there are some objections), but with a restriction on numbers and times I think this is quite a sensible use of the area / empty shops, and as noted above consistent with stated policy objectives on the night time economy / promotion of small business. It also attempts to gain a benefit from the street closure.

The thing I don't understand about this application is that as per the plans there doesn't appear to be a toilet. You'd think that there would need to be for a bar, and if its right rather than just an error on the drawings (there is a room with a sink, but no toilet shown!) then I'd be concerned about people using the street instead!

Possibly though its just a drawing error?

Good point. The application mentions that there?s a link to hi-vibe across the road and that the opening hours will coincide, so maybe the plan is to use facilities there? The wording?s a bit confusing but given the mention of protein shakes and responsible drinking it sounds like it might be aiming to be a sort of drinks / coffee stop for pre and post gym sessions.

Yes maybe - but I don't imagine high vibe is going to be open at 10pm! I thought that the link was that it was envisaged that the people using the new bar would be the same people who use the gym - almost like a social add on to the studio.

In any event, if its a bar it needs a toilet. Still wonder if the drawing is just wrong - but also that room appears to be access to the outside too. Its all very odd.

• 1 month later...

So - if nothing else but to solve the mystery of the toilet, here are the minutes of the licensing committee meeting approving sale of wine at the coffee bar place opposite Hi-Vibe

https://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/g7289/Printed%20minutes%20Thursday%2010-Mar-2022%2010.00%20Licensing%20Sub-Committee.pdf?T=1

The new unknown is ?what happened to Cllr Smith?s representation? - I guess we?ll never know.

Outcome in a nutshell - they can serve wine on Friday and Sat evenings 5pm to 10pm and number of patrons ltd to 25. Patrons not to take alcohol outside.

ed_pete Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I wonder what the residents think of the Wine

> Retailer/Wine Bar proposed for the old chemists ?

> They're applying for a license to drink on the

> premises from 09:00 to 22:30, 7 days a week.

>

> https://app.southwark.gov.uk/licensing/LicPremises

> AppliedDetails.asp?systemkey=877119

There's already a couple of restaurants on this stretch and a big pub a stones through away, so would be strange to object.

• 3 months later...

Date: 21/07/2022 13:18 (GMT+00:00)

To: Community Engagement <[email protected]>

Subject: Trial Street Market on Melbourne Grove to start 10th September

Dear residents and businesses,

Earlier this year you responded to a survey about a proposal to pilot a street market on Melbourne Grove, near the junction with Grove Vale. Thank you to all of you who made suggestions.

We are pleased to inform you that this trial will now be going ahead, starting on Saturday 10th September and running through until late December. During this trial period we will invite a number of market operators to run the market on successive weeks, providing a range of stalls from arts and crafts to fresh food. This will help us find out what the local community wants and needs from a market.

The market will run every Saturday from 10am until 4pm, and will have no more than 12 stalls. Please be assured that market operators will be expected to keep the area clean and keep any disturbance to a minimum. In response to your feedback, the market will not include hot food vendors. We are also in discussion with the operators and council parking managers about minimising the disruption to local parking.

We hope that the new market will become a positive part of the local community, and bring new visitors to support local shops and businesses.

We will be reviewing the impact of the market at the end of the trial period – and you can tell us throughout about your experiences, and anything else we should consider, by writing to [email protected] or by post to Lisa York, Markets and Street Trading Manager : 47-53 Dawes Street (SAST House) London SE17 1EL.

Kind regards,

Jonathan Hamston (on behalf of the Markets and Street Trading Team)

As it stands there aren't really any shops on Melbourne Grove that promote browsing - just the vintage clothes place - the rest are appointment type places. If the drop wine bar opens and the coffee shop is open more with evening opening too then perhaps there are more local options to benefit for an increased footfall. Even the ones that are closed weren't places that you'd have browsed - chemist, locksmith and a hairdressers!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think there are so many rules about what they cannot sell...in order to not disturb the peaceful enclave, that it will fail - then the residents will be happy in their gated community.

Still can't way for the death metal live music venue to open in the old hairdresser site.