Music Room *It's fully soundproofed*

mockney piers

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

re Morrisey pronunciation

Morrisey fans being Morrisey fans, and the internet being the internet, that mispronunciation gets discussed in a few places without ever really shedding any light.

Most common answer (amongst a fairly mopey bunch of contributors) appears to be because he isn't as bright as he thinks he is

Although someone did point out that Mark E Smith does same thing in "The War Against Intelligence" so it could be a Manc thing?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hmmm, whilst I applaud any attempt to raise the bar in the digital music market I'm wondering if this is viable.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/neil-young-reaches-kickstarter-target-to-fund-new-music-player-within-a-day-9187151.html

Why so expensive, I get it with vinyl with the poor economies of scale and the intrinsic cost of the materials, presentation, shipping etc. But even high quality digital music is still just a buch of 1s and 0s sitting on a hard drive somewhere and shipped via the internet.

Plus cd ripped to flac and output via a decent DAC will proably be indistinguishable anyway and most people who appreciate sound quality would doubtless be doing something on those lines anyway and avoiding aac or mp3 like the plague.

My Bloody Valentine offered 24 bit 96k wav for 9 quid (12? as it turned out), free with cd or vinyl purchase, so again, why try to get backing by saying up front you'll be ripping people off.

Anyway, good luck to him, maybe he can persuade amazon, apple et al to offer higher quality content.

Not really sure what they mean by "studio quality"... if they're talking about 24bit/192khz then that's just an unnecessary gimmick for anything but high end pro audio... and certainly indistinguishable from CD quality when played on a ?250 "PonoPlayer".

Also don't get the need for a combined store/hardware offering when FLAC is a standard format.

As for the observation that "children raised in the digital age are losing out because they have not been ?nourished? by the experience of three-dimensional, immersive sound"... complete nonsense and quite nauseating. Most kids I knew had cheap cassette walkmans, boom-boxes, or if they were lucky some sort of "midi system". Any one of which would have far worse sound quality than an iPod. Only a lucky few were lucky enough to have their Dad's hand-me-down 1970s hi-fi separates littering their bedrooms.

How much of his own money has he put into this? Or would he rather take a gamble on this turkey with other peoples money instead?

My dedication to Louisa

"Something's Rotten in the Back of Iceland"

"I just want to be in the vicinity

Of you and your urban concerns

Gonna get away next Wednesday

Gonna wash away

Urban concerns ...

Well there ain?t no stink like the stink you?re going to get

From the age-old eel in your decommissioned fridge"

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Only a lucky few were lucky enough

> to have their Dad's hand-me-down 1970s hi-fi

> separates littering their bedrooms.

(*raises hand*) Grundig and Trio recipient right here.

Most people (by which I mean 99% of people) just don't give a hoot about what format their music is delivered to them or what they listen to it on!

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> (*raises hand*) Grundig and Trio recipient right here.

I completely trashed the 70s amp/speakers/turntable my Dad gave me when I was a teenager. Only to find out many years later that they had all become classics and actually worth a bit. They did sound good though... after you're used to reasonable kit, it's hard to revert to a bookbox (can you still get those?) or ipod speaker dock. But most people are perfectly happy listening to something small/unobtrusive/rubbish.

How's the yellow radio, Bob?