Bellenden-Holly Grove-Lyndhurst Way-Chadwick: Turning one-way to two way traffic

Eileen

Thanks Tom, that's very useful. As I say, I know nothing about transport, so hadn't thought of the options you describe, making it more like many of the streets in Hackney, where cycling is much higher.

Richard - it doesn't work for pedestrians or cyclists so it will be money well spent to reduce the speed and/or volume of cars etc in this area.

It seems like a lot of work, cost and upheaval for an outcome that may only produce a different set of problems... there also seems to be no evidence that all these changes would improve anything at all.

I have lived on the one way system for 22 years and ever since it has been its current form there doesn't seem to have been ANY major problems. There used to be regular accidents at the junction of Choumert Road and Choumert Grove, but that seems to have stopped happening (I think they put up bigger give-way signs some time ago) and other than that I have not seen or heard of accidents or even speed being a major problem.

Though the traffic is a bit sticky through the shopping bit of Bellenden, it all seems to muddle its way through in the end. I have not noticed cars going unduly fast... though they do roar out of the car park on Choumert Grove, so maybe a hump on the exit side would be a good idea.

It seems that the huge cost would benefit the CONTRACTORS and NOT the residents, visitors and retailers in the area.

IF IT ANI'T BROKEN DONT FIX IT Southwark....

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/file.php?20,file=85827

I am a Nigel Road resident who has seen an extraordinary rise in traffic volumes over the past 6-12 months on Nigel, Anstey, Relf and other surrounding roads. The entire pocket of roads around Bellenden up to and including Nigel Road is now subjected to a constant flow of car and lorry traffic, and recently one truly astounding 18 wheeler incident.

The traffic noise levels have grown to become a significant and constant problem, with a serious impact on the quality of life for most of the residents I have spoken to.

As the council's desire seems to be to actually increase the level of traffic, i.e. "improve journey times and access for motorists", logical conclusion is that noise and traffic volume can only get worse for local residents.

As someone who lives on a two way street which is only a couple of hundred yards long, but seemly now a rat run racetrack, I would have to completely disagree with the councils assumption that two way promotes traffic calming.

I can appreciate that there is no logical route from one side of Peckham to the other, with the high street being bus only for most of the day, but that frankly is a problem the council have caused for us all and needs to be rectified, but not by using the surrounding roads two as an overflow for the problems caused by making Rye Ln buses only.

Personally I would actually like to see many more of the local roads having vastly improved traffic calming and flow restriction mechanisms implemented, rather than opening them up to more traffic as is proposed by the council.

I will be writing to the local MP and also directly to the council.

Kindest regards

PS and this happened 5 mins ago...biker t-boned an SUV, speed was the issue...

Would this extraordinary rise in traffic volumes over the past 6-12 months have anything to do with the ongoing water.gas electric works that seem to have closed off many roads for the past 6-12 months? forcing traffic to find others routes.

Which is still going on this morning in the Bellenden area

That is possible, however it could also be that these set of roads are now being use as the peak time overflow for Rye Lane and also queues which happen around Goose Green at rush hour.

The council's proposals which seem to aim to increase the flow of traffic in this pocket of roads, can, imo, only make this problem worse.

Restrictions also need to be made for lorry weight, in addition to flow restrictions on car traffic, with the aim of redirecting them back to the main roads, and away from the residential ones.

In addition to the major accident today, yet another massive lorry had to abandon it's attempts to use these roads, nearly taking out 3 parked cars in the process.

ALthough the consultation may have been flawed, the design proposals are generally a big improvement on the confusing, car dominated streetscene that is the one way system. I feel that the proposals don't go far enough in removing space from cars and slowing traffic.

By the way I did a comprehensive impact analysis of the removal of the Shoreditch One Way system and found massive benefits in terms of safety, vehicle speeds, congestion, shopping etc. (albeit this was a much bigger area).