Egyptian goose attacked by dog off lead in Peckham park

Please, please keep your dogs on leads when near the lake at Peckham. A Weimaraner went for the Egyptian goslings about an hour ago. One of the parents went to protect them and was attacked instead. It now has a bad leg injury, punctured and possibly broken. Major thanks to a lovely person called Jill who rescued the bird and called an expert to come and inspect the goose. We came on the scene after it happened and are still waiting on the expert to turn up. Will post an update if we get one.

It?s springtime, there are a lot of baby birds out and about and they are easy targets for excited dogs. Please be mindful and respectful of nature and keep your dogs on leads at all times near the lake.

I think in the garden part dogs are supposed to be on a lead? But I only see dogs off leads in that part. I love dogs and good owners know how to control their dogs...but they can get excited around other animals. I?ve watched the geese for a couple of years now, great parents and the goslings are very sweet. Owners really do need to engage their brain. After this event I think the park will have to insist that dogs are on leads in the garden section?

There are PSPOs in place on PR which allow an owner to be fined and ordered to keep their dog on lead. There are mechanisms in place but they are not used. No need to go for a wholesale ban but the owner of this dog should definitely be held to account and educated.

I hope the parent goose and goslings are going to be okay? The problem is that if the parent is badly injured the whole family are vulnerable to other predators.

CPR Dave Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dogs should be banned from this park altogether.

>

> Let them have Goose Green which has already been

> turned into a giant dog toilet by selfish owners

> and keep the rest of our parks clean and safe.

TRACYGAGE Wrote:

> Does anyone have an update please

If I'm passing the warden's office later I'll see if they know anything. Unless there's already been an update.

Weimaraner's were bred for hunting weren't they?

HP

It's so frustrating - you know if you have a dog that will chase 'prey' so its common sense to be cautious. I think there needs to be enforcement of dogs on lead around the lake (perhaps presence of the chap on the bike) - if we all pitch in non aggressive request to owners who don't comply to try and get the mind set OR failing that a complete ban on dogs walking around the lake? Again, not sure how that would be policed, and there are always the minority of the 'don't tell me what to do' brigade......

They were/are but so are many other breeds. The key point is that the owner should not have had the dog off lead in that area. In fact, IMHO dogs should not be off lead on any of the footpaths in the parks...this would solve so many potential problems. Dogs can play off lead in the field areas.

first mate Wrote:

'They were/are but so are many other breeds. The

> key point is that the owner should not have had

> the dog off lead in that area.'

Agree - should be no dogs off lead in that area. I'm sure there are some signs but don't know how obvious.

HP

Update on the goose: someone from a local rescue centre came and took the goose away yesterday evening. Later updated that the goose?s leg is broken but it is being well cared for. Hopefully will be returned to the lake once healed.

We didn?t witness the incident first hand but we know that the owner didn?t stick around after the attack. The park liaison officer has been contacted about the incident and given a description of the dog and owner.

We hope better signs are put up telling people to keep dogs on leads in the area and that the warden does their best to enforce this.

This is terrible.

I'm one of the probably many people who have been watching the goslings grow up.

I was walking past them yesterday afternoon, and it must have been not long before this happened. The goslings are quite big now, and one of the parents was watching over them from a little way off.

I'm so sad to hear this. I hope the parent recovers quickly and all the goslings survive without her/him in the meantime.

So sad to hear this.

I wondered where the other parent was today, when I walked past. Really hope that it recovers and will be brought back to the lake.

The goslings often creep through the railings to feed at the grassy area, and so many times I've worried about off leash dogs coming along and making a grab for them. I think it's miraculous that the three of them have survived as long as they have.

Homz83 Wrote:

> CPR Dave we should just have you banned, easier

> and better choice

What?s wrong with what CPRDave said ?

It was all factual and dog owners should regard access to public spaces as a privilege, no ?