Views on GPs 306 lordship vs Tessa Jowell centre

Ee

• 2 weeks later...
I really didn’t like TJ - the setting is noisy and intimidating it feels like going into hospital. I also had unhelpful treatment from 2 doctors. I changed to DMC Chadwick Road and I think they’re brilliant. White and blue walls, natural light, human interaction and a kind, professional approach it made me feel at ease.

I really didn’t like TJ - the setting is noisy and intimidating it feels like going into hospital.

For the purposes of the ONS Covid study, it is a hospital. Do remember that the surgery is co-located with a number of out-stationed hospital departments (e.g. phlebotomy) moved from the old Dulwich Hospital. The GP Surgery is just one of the tenants of the site.

TJ is awful. Near impossible to get appointments, unhelpful receptionists, only phone appointments when you actually are offered an appointment.

We moved to DMC which is as you say also awful. They also appear connected as I was offered an appointment at TJ when the appointments had gone at DMC.

I know people happy with the Gardens and the surgery on Lordship Lane which someone above has recommended.

Shameful what has become of our GP surgeries in the last few years. Underfunding coming to the fore and European GPs left in droves due to Brexit.

TJ is awful. Near impossible to get appointments, unhelpful receptionists, only phone appointments when you actually are offered an appointment.

We moved to DMC which is as you say also awful. They also appear connected as I was offered an appointment at TJ when the appointments had gone at DMC.

I know people happy with the Gardens and the surgery on Lordship Lane which someone above has recommended.

Shameful what has become of our GP surgeries in the last few years. Underfunding coming to the fore and European GPs left in droves due to Brexit.

All of the ED surgeries are part of Improving Health Limited which is a GP federation of 16 practices in Dulwich, Peckham, Nunhead and Camberwell that supports each other. So for example 306 Medical Centre is independent, but can refer patients to other surgeries such as Tessa Jowell. During the Covid vaccination programme, patients could go to Tessa Jowell or the Lister Health Centre in Peckham for vaccinations.

Very challenging to compare services offered by two precise GP surgeries on the grounds of individual experiences or anecdotes also because of a complex web of "collaborations" that might have been started with good intentions but ended with a reality of obfuscating data about who is in charge of what since / until when. Anyhow, if you know of local surgeries that are genuinely and seriously looking for administrative members of staff, receptionists or patient liaison officers please let me know (NHS Job portal has plenty of jobs adverts that are either non updated or posted for advertising by providers with decommissioned services etc).

I've had a look at several records of GP surgeries recently from a number of different sources: the Care Quality Commission database seems a quite reliable one and provides an updated "overall good" report for 306 GP( under the personal name of the Principal GP) whereas it records a change of provider for the TJ GP Surgery. In particular it seems that:

- there is an "old" record for the TJ GP run by Omnes Healthcare with the indication that caring services needed improvement;

- there is a new record under the name TJ Health Centre provided and run by SELDOC updated July 2022 with rating overall good.

The very confusing picture gets even more confused if you check the TJ GP Surgery website that says they are run by South East London CCG but it has also a "company information" banner indicating the details of Omnes Healthcare.... The website is managed by a third company... that I guess could be blamed for the confusion of publicising inaccurate data. Perhaps caring still needs improvement on the site.

By the way, searching the CQC database with postcode SE22 8EY and 5 miles radius extension produces 523 results that I imagine may include duplicate data so... where does the care start in the NHS ecosystem? I would say care starts with effective and clear, non ambiguous communications: it is not rocket science to update a website if you really want to.

Happy to be corrected but I believe SELDOC and the GP surgery at TJ are separate entities and provide different services. SELDOC provide out of hours services and were previously based in Dulwich Hospital whereas the GP surgery was formerly in Melbourne Grove.

Edit: also South East London CCG do not “run” the GP surgery:a clinical commissioning group is, or was, an NHS body responsible for ensuring the health needs of an area are provided. The CCGs were replaced in July by Integrated Care Boards.

Happy to be corrected but I believe SELDOC and the GP surgery at TJ are separate entities and provide different services. SELDOC provide out of hours services and were previously based in Dulwich Hospital whereas the GP surgery was formerly in Melbourne Grove.

Edit: also South East London CCG do not “run” the GP surgery:a clinical commissioning group is, or was, an NHS body responsible for ensuring the health needs of an area are provided. The CCGs were replaced in July by Integrated Care Boards.

Thank you for mentioning that very useful to know (Integrated Care Boards, another piece of the jigsaw of primary care services).

The Care Quality Commission report I quoted earlier dated July (rating "overall good") was for the out of hours GP provided by SELDOC whereas the other parts of the "TJ health hub" mentioned have not been inspected yet.

The same GP, Dr. Jonathan Love, who was in charge of Melbourne Grove, also in charge of Tessa Jowell. They also took over another GP surgery before they moved to the new TJ building. They also have the same practice manager, who I don’t have faith in. From what I remember, the practice manager is not solely based at at TJ but also works from a surgery at Camberwell called Parkside. That could have changed since Covid.

Not ideal.

The same GP, Dr. Jonathan Love, who was in charge of Melbourne Grove, also in charge of Tessa Jowell. They also took over another GP surgery before they moved to the new TJ building. They also have the same practice manager, who I don’t have faith in. From what I remember, the practice manager is not solely based at at TJ but also works from a surgery at Camberwell called Parkside. That could have changed since Covid.

Not ideal.

Parkside and Tessa Jowell are both owned by Omnes.

Thanks for all the views. We have moved to 306 and so far they have been excellent. They actually answer the phone, they are polite and you can get appointments. Who’d have thought that was all possible!!

306 definitely sounds much better than some locally. I took my son to TJ the other day for his polio booster and the receptionists were rude (stressed but no excuse) and some appointments had been moved to Lister so some patients arriving to find they were in the wrong place.

Melbourne Grove as it was had its issues but TJ is atrocious.