James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

their Director of Primary

> Schools is Sir Robin Bosher who led the Fairlawn

> success but more importantly led the London

> Challenge programme for school improvement

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18459553 -

> that's what he got the Sir for. So they should be

> great once they've established themselves.

..and very good at creaming off the best Lewisham teachers for Harris primaries....I would bite my right arm off for a place in one of his 'undersubscribed' classes for Sept with the teachers he's put there.

I have found out we are number 11 on the waiting list for Fairlawn. I know it is still very unlikely that we will get a place and every year is different but was just wondering if anyone knows of anybody who got a place in previous years from a similar waiting list position?

Does anyone know if, for instance, someone has a place at a Southwark school, but then gets into a school in Lewisham (be it a local authority school, free school, independent, whatever) are the waiting lists from the 2 local authorities linked? So would Lewisham notify Southwark that the child no longer needs a space at that school? If both schools in question were applied for as part of the CAF system, would the 2 LAs keep in touch about that?

Thanks

You are only on the waiting list for schools above the one you've gotten into. The wave starts with those who reject their offers for any reason (going private, Judith Kerr, home schooling, moving out of the area etc).

The person who was number 1 on that waiting list will be offered a place. If that school is that persons first choice, they won't be on any more waiting lists. If its the parent's second choice, they will remain on the waiting list for their first choice but the school place they had been offered will become availbale. Then it ripples through the system I think.

Thank you LondonMix that makes sense. I am 15th for one school that I think has a 3 year intake. The others I am miles off - 56 , 43. 29 etc so have been wondering how likely I am to get a school of my choice for September.

People keep saying "ooh, you'll definitely get in" as we are 5th on the waiting list for Ivydale. I don't know when these lists start to shift though. We've done nothing but move down it (albeit by one space) - has anyone actually moved up their waiting list yet?

Im only moving down too. Frustrating stuff. Southwark wont let me reject my offer until I can prove I have alternative provisions in place..

We are 41st, 51st and 65th in Southwark and 35th, 50th and 79th in Lewisham. Then we applied late to Bessemer as a back-up as advised and are 14th on their list. Don't know how likely this is, staying hopeful.

Hi all, LAs do exchange information. Waiting lists are maintained using the same admissions criteria as those used to make the original allocations. You can move down a list if people move into the area closer to the school than your home, or, if an older sibling gets a place at a school and then the younger one will be waitlisted under sibling criteria or if a child is assessed to have a relevant social or medical need (eg recently diagnosed as autistic and a particular school has an autism unit). There tends to be more movement on the waiting lists of larger schools. There tends to be a bit of movement (up and down) over the summer holidays as families with children often move home then. it is not unusual for one or two children not to turn up in September (eg gone private or moved and not informed the LA). It has to be verified if the child is definitely not coming (eg parents haven't deferred the place until January) before such places are reallocated.

If someone gets offered eg their 1st choice place from a waiting list, and accepts they immediately are removed from the waiting lists of the other schools they have applied to. Then everyone moves up one place on those waiting lists.

Renata

Hi. I was the mid 20's last year for Fairlawn and moved up one place by the time school started. I know every year is different but last year ther wasn't much movement from my position.

akc74, this is a grant maintained schools, you would need to contact the school directly. if any of you are wondering why Goose Green is missing from the allocations table, it is now an Academy and therefore you need the school for information.

Renata

Thanks Number2!

Nothing new to add to what's been/being said but we are in the statistic of one of those not offered any of our choices, we've been allocated Langbourne which we should be overjoyed with as its within 300 metres of us but after 3 visits and lots of discussions with current parents it doesn't meet what we want educationally for our children so we had to choose other schools on our preferences.

We were sad but not surprised to not get any of our liked schools.

We have gone down on the two waiting lists we've been put on and our best position is now 27th, (was 17th initially) so highly highly unlikely we will see enough movement to get a place.

We are now facing having to start our daughter at Langbourne but look to physically move property to get closer to a school we like to try to get her moved during the year or for next September.

System seems crazy. Would rather we had not been given any pretence of being able to choose and had just been allocated a school. Would have perhaps saved this worry, angst and disappointment .

That's really bloody tough Loulou. Whereabouts are you?

Does anyone have any idea of when the waiting lists tend to start moving? The deadline for accepting/declining places doesn't see, to have had anything but a negative effect for most on here!

All this talk of Langbourne has made me look up their website to see how awful it is...especially as someone who lives 300m away doesn't want a place there. Obviously I am only reading the 'marketing' of a website but was amazed to see that they are rated 'good' for ofsted and have a new headmaster who seems to be full of ideas and enthusiasm. Have people visited since the new headmaster started? Have people met him? This may be the year when a new intake of supportive parents could tip the school to 'outstanding'. I accept my knowledge is minimal but it certainly doesn't seem to be the sink school everyone seems to be implying it is....I'll bet in a few years people will be finding routes to get their children there....

The marketing story is one thing but the results are not great. Only 38 per cent of pupils left the school with the required level in English and maths last year. Previous year's results were better but well below the LA average. Even by value add, the school is bottom of the Southwark league table. The last head improved the school a lot - or so I hear/ read - and the new one will, I am sure, continue to improve it, but this is a school which has a way to go. The Standard recently reported that Langbourne will get an influx of volunteer reading mentors, whih should indeed help a lot.