Horniman School. Tell me your experiences please.

I recently had a visit around Horniman school which I was largely impressed with, but I wondered if anyone could let me know their experiences. I have a slight feeling that it might not be very academically driven for potentially brighter students ( not sure why I get this feeling) and also, the Head seemed nice but not particularly inspiring.

Am I off the mark here?

We found the same re the head. She showed us round without introducing herself and I spent the whole tour assuming she was a rather shy admin assistant! ENough to put us off completely - though perhaps unfairly.

Last year I toured Horniman and was also completely put off by the head, especially aS I am also a teacher. I found her really uninspiring and there didnt seem to be any positive energy in the school on the day I visited. Whereas when I had toured Fairlawn I was much more inspired. Live close to Fairlawn but was on waiting list however!

Hmm. I think that my chances of Fairlawn are slim to nil. Do you mind asking me how far are you from Fairlawn and where are you on the waiting list?

I actually thought the classes were great, teachers otherwise seemed bright and engaged with the children and the kids seemed happy and interested. It would be good to hear from anyone whose children have been at the school.

Well this was from last year. I was 550m and 26th on the list. I didnt move up even one place before school started. I was told by the school that in fact my chances were about zero. My neighbour waited a few years on the waiting list and eventually got her child in around year 2. Obviously things change from year to year. But I was disappointed.

My child is at Horniman and we couldn't be happier with it. This article gives a pretty good idea of what it is like http://www.guardian.co.uk/teacher-network/zurich-school-competition/horniman-primary-pedal-power-static-bikes.

Its real strength, in my opinion is that it treats each child very much as an individual. It really is a very happy environment. If you want to find more Horniman parents I would suggest you post on the SE23 forum, I think there are more of them there.

Are you thinking about next year when there is a bulge year? Or for entry this September?

We have children at the Horniman. It is a lovely friendly school. The teaching in reception and year 1 has been excellent. It is smaller than average with a great outdoor space and what a view! There are huge choices of excellent pre and post school clubs. My daughter is progressing really well academically but more importantly to us she loves her school. She feels proud to go there and has a great group of friends.

Sorry to go a bit off piste with this - we're a couple of years off the school application process but have our eye on both Horniman and Fairlawn as prime candidates. Quick question, how do you work out how far away from the school you live? Is it as the crow flies? Is there a website that can help calculate? We live near the Horniman and our neighbours have children at Fairlawn but it's a fair walk (given that you have to navigate round the park).

We had a child at Horniman and felt that the school had very low expectations for more able children. There wasn't nearly enough differentiation in lessons, and we weren't impressed with behaviour expectations either. We lived just too far away from Fairlawn, but I have always regretted that we didn't send our our daughter to Eliot Bank. We ended up taking our child out of the school at the end of the Infants, and moving to a different school, where she really thrived in a more stimulating environment.

The best way to find out the distance to schools is to call Lewisham Council. I found all the sites weren't that accurate. The best one was still 45 metres off Lewisham's measurements, which could matter given the size of the current catchments.

Interested as well Growlybear though am assuming this was a couple of years ago. Our daughter is starting reception this year. All our neighbours have kids at Horniman and have all been raving about it.

The reception class at Horniman is excellent!! outstanding ofsted and well deserved.

Some teachers higher up in the school are very good and keen to push children so they make higher than expected levels of progress.

Probably not as academic as Fairlawn but a very happy place IMO. Depends what you are looking for...

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion Horniman Primary School is fantastic - our girls have flourished there, made excellent friends and

have always been safe and happy.

Our eldest daughter ( nearly 16 ) went there, we have a daughter there now and one starting in September.

Why not come along to the Horniman Nearly New and Spring Fair this Saturday ?

(ALL welcome not just parents & pupils of Horniman)

Then you can get a natural picture of the school and it's surroundings

This Sat 18th May from 2.00 till 4.00pm

Horniman Drive, SE23 3BP

Bring & Buy Clothes / Books / Toys /

Bouncy Castle

Maypole Dancing

And indoor shelter if it rains - tee hee

A great time for all the family and you will get a feel of the school, the pupils that already

attend and the wonderful teaching staff.