anyone had more than 3m side return extension??

Charles Martel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> red devil Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > pikey, gypo, need I go on?...hardly 'well put'

>

> You are making an inference that was not intended.

> Pikeys in my mind are not Gypsies in any sense.

> Gypsies are an ethnic group with distinct

> language, history and culture. You do not become

> one simply by living in a caravan, any more than

> you would become a Native American by buying a

> wigwam.

I waan't inferring that pikey was an alternative term for a Gypsy. I'm fully aware that pikey and Gypsy are different. Pikey is a derogatory term for a traveller. You or I could become travellers, whereas we couldn;t become Gypises for the reason you correctly explained. I was referring to derogatory terms in general. I could've addeed many more examples. You threw in the term thinking it would somehow reinforce your alarmist rhetoric. It didn't. Therefore IMO it wasn't a 'well put' argument...

Agree with that. L-shaped extensions aren't always bad news either. It really depends so I wasn't trying to tar anyone who wants one as inconsiderate. Ground floor extensions (not properly executed) are the most likely source of loss of light. However, I do think planning are pretty quick to insist people scale down their plans. Also, material loss of light is a legal issue, not a planning one. Based on Right to Light you can sue for damages even if the planning authorities granted you planning permission.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Not all lofts are high enough to convert into a

> useable room, so building over the back is a good

> way of adding an extra bedroom. Although saying

> that, if the neighbours object then you have to

> make a judgement on whether you consider your

> extra space to be more important than the wishes

> of the neighbours.

>

> I have no sympathy for someone who just builds the

> biggest extension they can to raise the value of

> the house, but I can understand people trying to

> create the space they need for their family within

> their budget. The people saying "if you don't have

> enough space buy a bigger house" obviously haven't

> looked at property prices recently.

edhistory Wrote:

> red devil Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Pikey is a derogatory term

> > for a traveller.

>

> Who are the group that travellers call pikeys?

>

> John K

No idea John. How about white trash, or maybe chavs...bring back fuzzy wuzzies I say, life was so much simpler then...

First mate and moonlaunch,

I just read some of your comments about 'want' and 'need' of extra rooms in loft conversions and extended 'outriggers' (back extensions?)- yes, maybe buy a bigger house instead.

The other big issue is the amount of noise and disruption that neighbours have to put up so these 'lofty ideas'(geddit)can be carried out. Anyone on this thread getting ready for their Grand Designs to go ahead (after getting the Party Wall Agreement signed off, of course, should take a look at the all the vans, concrete mixers, pallets, girders, slurry on the roads and pavements and constant deliveries that go on when the work is carried out. Also, pop into your neighbours house sometime when the guys are drilling out the party wall and have a listen to the noise.

But, at the end of the day though, it's all worth it for YOU though.

Pip, Pip.

Jeremy Wrote:

> How long does it take to channel out the party

> wall to insert the beams? Should only be 1-2 days.

Most beams used for loft extensions sit perpendicular to the party wall(s). And it doesn't have to be excessively noisy to put one in. Carefully remove inner skin of bricks (by hand), form concrete padstone to rest beam on, make good.

A beam used to support a chimney breast that has been removed, will run parallel to the party wall, usually sitting adjacent to the wall, bearing on internal/external walls inside the owners property. Excessive noise tends to be generated by other activities...

Yes, like builders talking loudly and playing music early in the morning...

But seriously, any home improvement you do will be noisy and disruptive. This isn't unique to loft conversions (which have existed for decades) or side returns. Unless you are saying homes should never have worked carried out on them, the point you are trying to make isn't really valid.