Heads up zipvan PCN for travel through rotherhithe tunnel

Tibbytubs

I just wanted to let everyone know that I received a PCN from hiring a zip van going through rotherhive tunnel due to a weight restriction. I hired the van from East Dulwich. Just one of the everyone know and not get ripped off by TFL....

Screenshot_20221215-135819.thumb.png.d02758be68172c61779121afe6b80522.png

Screenshot_20221215-143630.thumb.png.e5a10a92527bcc42842103de692c5ba0.png

Edited by Dvelopment

Well the signage is pretty crap and I doubt I win any appeal process. So thanks for your lovely input. Here is a picture of the sign. You would think that only lorries but however I didn't know the weight of the zip van as I didn't have a pair of scales on me

Should there be a picture of a VW van on the signage for you? I haven't driven regularly for years but I am still familiar enough with the Highway Code to understand road signs.

You include a screenshot from the Zip website which states that their van should never be taken through the Rotherhithe Tunnel. It is disappointing that you took to the roads in a vehicle the dimensions of which you were ignorant but please do not abuse or demean public servants for enforcing the rules which apply to us all. You broke the clearly stated rules, that has consequences.

Merry Xmas to you to friend ...

Should there be a picture of a VW van on the signage for you? I haven't driven regularly for years but I am still familiar enough with the Highway Code to understand road signs.

You include a screenshot from the Zip website which states that their van should never be taken through the Rotherhithe Tunnel. It is disappointing that you took to the roads in a vehicle the dimensions of which you were ignorant but please do not abuse or demean public servants for enforcing the rules which apply to us all. You broke the clearly stated rules, that has consequences.

Vans are designed to carry more than cars and hence subject to greater controls on weight.

My second 'favourite' paper the Express (is there much point to this rag?) carried an article about the weight limit. The adjudicator concluded that the signage was legal but could be made clearer.

There are also other articles about motorists being fined, so if you feel angry about this then this is the paper for you. Like most nowadays I take these things philosophically and have learned long ago to check signage.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1245636/tfl-transport-for-london-rotherhithe-tunnel-fines-charge-sign

My second 'favourite' paper the Express (is there much point to this rag?) carried an article about the weight limit.

The sheer number of articles that they've published about Diana in the last 25 years probably makes them world experts on vehicles being inappropriately driven in tunnels...

Yes it's been <2T for a couple of years now. Not sure if they'll ever repair it to be <3.5T ever.

Some cars are actually heavier than 2T, not sure if there is margin or if they get done too.

I’m taking the signposts posted earlier as current and complete, such cars would be ok as the weight restriction only applies to goods vehicles.

However the width of a car that weighs two tonnes should probably be double-checked. A Lamborghini Urus for example is over and is 79 inches wide officially so would fail on the width restriction.

Unfortunately where Zipvans are concerned, if it was a VW Transporter it also fails on width (6’7”).