vitamin b12 injection

Yes it’s through your GP. Although the last time for me, as I couldn’t go up/down for the injections, they chanced a tablet form and it did the trick. I’d say to still go through your GP for that too, so they can monitor the dosage etc., not all the ones on the chemist shelves are the correct dose. But a GP will know by running a blood test if it’s needed or not :)

Do you have any particular reason to think your symptoms are due to a B12 deficiency?

I've got similar symptoms which have been going on for weeks, and I know it's definitely not due to that.

I had blood tests last year for other reasons, and I was told to stop taking Vit B supplements because I had enough Vit B in my body to last two years 😮

I think my symptoms are either due to tree pollen or some kind of allergic rhinitis, possibly dust from all the building work around.

Or else one of the many viruses around this year.

Have you tried taking an antihistamine?

I have just spoken to my GP (the appointment was for something else) who says there are lots of things currently doing the rounds with similar symptoms to what you describe, and what I have/had.

As is only sensible, she said if it doesn't clear up in a few weeks, make an appointment.

So if you have had symptoms for two months, you should see your GP, basically!

My symptoms have improved in the last few days, so hopefully I won't need to.

It can be tricky as your levels can show as normal and you still feel bad. If that's the case, worth asking your doc to order a blood test for intrinsic factor (stomach protein that processes b12) as this determines whether your body can take up that B12 floating around. Intrinsic Factor deficiency is pernicious anaemia. Lots of good info/real experiences at www.theb12society.com

But to your original question: I had very low B12 and my IF was fine so oral supplements work for me, but to get me started, I bought an injection voucher redeemable at certain London pharmacies from VitaJab (I shopped around) for £27 (think it's £29 now). Booked an appt, got my jab within the week and my doc approved of the jump-start. https://www.vitajab.co.uk/

Increasing dairy, fish, poultry and meat (and certain non-animal foods) is said to be a quick way of pushing up B12 levels. (NHS) If you’ve been lacking in such kinds of foodstuffs it could well be the cause of a deficiency - doctors etc. tend to look for the most rational/common reasons first and then go down less usual routes to find the reason for conditions.

If anyone gets bugs that regularly last too long, or gets frequent bugs - for instance if you are always catching things but notice that your partner never does, when you have both been pretty much in the same places, it is worth getting a test for Primary Immune Deficiency. Ask for test for Immunoglobulins. Most GPs have never heard of it and never test for it but is cheap and quick to get done commercially. PID is a spectrum, can be more or less serious but you always need to know if you are affected.

Also if you have problems that come up as B-vitamin related when you search for them, but the GP does a B vit test and it comes back normal - you may want to get a test for vitamin B2, riboflavin, which the NHS never tests for. B2 can't be tested for directly but you can get an indirect test - EGRAC test.

B vit injections can help although don't fix.

You can get a B12 shot at Fourways pharmacy on Half Moon Lane in Herne Hill. It’s a private walk-in service, with a doctor in a little office at the back of the pharmacy, Very simple, just walk in and fill out a form.