The Mag

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Funeral Parlour..

> >

> > Would get more people through the door.

> >

> > Just walked passed.. Doors open. No one

> inside.

> > Not even staff.

> >

> > Not sure if they were open..

> >

>

> xxxxxx

>

> Not sure there will be many people in any local

> pubs at 5pm on a Wednesday, Fox?

Plenty outside EDT and Bishop. and outside Crown & Greyhound in the Village.

Fox.

I live pretty close to it, and used to call it my local in earlier times. Liked the old boozer style, and the bright yellow exterior. Liked the sunday roasts, and the quiz night with a huge bowl of sausage and chips thrown in. Liked, even more, the early morning British Lions games (midweek and weekend) with free cup of coffee and toast for the midweek game regulars. I find it sad that it gone so far downhill - was hopeful when it turned into the magnolia and the landlords were trying out a range of different beverages to find out what the locals wanted on tap. It's like a ghost town now and I've only been in about twice in the last year, purely out of convenience.

I used to go a lot when i lived in Nunhead in the early 2000's for the comedy and the pub quiz's (our true moment of glory was our team winning against a team led by Lee Mack who has not gone on to greater TV fame)

However haven't been for years - i was put off by the previous incarnation and the new one sounds terrible.

rahrahrah is right - this is clearly going to be turned into flats. I'm no architect but I think you could easily fit 8 2 bed flats on the site.

This follows closely on the heels of the "accidental" fire at the Grove Tavern ahead of it being redeveloped into a Tesco or similar.

I would go to the Mag if it were any good - as I used to go in both recent previous incarnations.

(edited for sp)

ultrauk Wrote:

> There is now a sign up on the window saying "Cash

> Only" Its not looking good for them :(

xxxxxx

But the present management are only supposed to be temporary anyway.

They posted on here when they started saying they would take it on permanently if they could make a go of it. Clearly they aren't making a go of it, basically because they totally misjudged what people round here wanted, so they won't be taking it on permanently.

And The Patch have been saying they are front-runner/only runner to take The Mag over - and are about to take it over, or in the case of some press articles have already taken it over - for around six months now.

But they have gone ominously silent on both Twitter and Facebook.

I think it would be a shame if The Mag was turned into flats, but if The Patch had a viable business plan I would have thought their takeover would have been done and dusted long ago.

Perhaps their negotiations with Enterprise Inns (I think) have not gone as well as they expected. Or perhaps they have been unable to raise the finance they needed, after they did not meet their target on Kickstarter.

As a new comer to the East Dulwich area , Ive been looking around since i moved here and it seems a very nice place , also been watching lots of posts on this forum .

The Mag , didnt impress me ,

The EDT , lovely atmosphere and lovely building .

The Cheery Tree , i had a lovely meal there .

The Bishop , i wasnt to impressed , buy was ok .

Cazz Wrote:

> oh No

> I once spent a lovely afternoon in their sort of

> garden with great food. I guess this is no longer

> the case?

xxxxxx

Well there's no food at all, for a start :))

only just read this thread and moving it back to the Mag.....the leaving guvnor at the mag can't be up to much as there was a pile of food left to rot outside the pub for a couple of weeks...what a horrendous way to do business in a family community...glad he's going...bring back the previous guvnor or the pizza bar of the last few years...the place was kept in good order then !!!

• 3 weeks later...

The last post I can see on their Facebook page is from April.

I've refreshed the page but still April.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

ETA: I don't see anything relevant on their Twitter feed, either?

ETA: Oh, OK, it's a comment in response to somebody else's post on their Facebook page.

How weird that they aren't publicising this more openly.

Yes, it's in answer to someone posting to ask when the launch date is, top post on the right hand side "posts by others" section. Very subtle PR plan there.

I live very nearby, and would love to support this (and would have put money into the kickstarter) but when a project has poor comms like this it makes me very dubious. I hope it works, it sounded great, but why not be more open about it? Why allow all the confusion to continue? It's in an awkward spot, they will need substantial community support to be a success, I would have thought.

Archived