How to make an Air Source Heat Pump fit into an East Dulwich Garden

I wanted to show that you can put an Air Source Heat Pump into a smallish garden in a Victorian terrace right here in East Dulwich.

We had the heat pump fitted plus the domestic hot water tank in the garden and covered it with a green roof/planter. Hot tank on the left, heat pump on the right in the photo.

It's unusual to put a hot tank in the garden in this country but it saves trying to find a space indoors. It is doubly insulated.

The rules are that the heat pump has to be 1m from the boundary. It is incredibly quiet...quieter than the flue from a gas boiler.

There isn't a lot of space in the garden but I think it works well.

Heat Pump Planter 2.jpg

Space for growing above a heat pump.jpg

Heat pump planter.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing! Could you provide an Autumn / Winter update as to how your heat pump is working out? Also, did you (have to) upgrade your radiators and pipe work prior to installing your heat pump? Did you upgrade any insulation in the house (loft spaces plus other insulation)? 

• 1 month later...

A little update.

We didn't have to change the pipework but we did add a few larger radiators which wasn't a big issue.

The airflow seems fine judging by the way the heat pump is performing.

This month (November) we are getting about 5 KWhs of heat for every KWh of electricity which makes it cheaper than gas on running costs. We are using Octopus tracker which costs around 20p a KWh which when you divide by 5 creates heat at 4p a KWh.

If you want to have a look and a listen let me know.