CCTV Contravention Warning Notice

Alan Medic

We got a 'warning' for an alleged contravention in Adys Road junction East Dulwich Road. Our vehicle has just left the area where the attached picture was taken. Anyone know what the contravention might have been? The video link we were sent shows our car and may others passing here.

Warning Notice.PNG

I got caught in a CPZ a couple of times - not in London.  The penalty notice if paid within two weeks was fairly reasonable, but on one occasion there was no ticket.  I explained to the local authority that I would have paid quickly (as I always do) and whilst they had photographic proof that the notice was served, they kindly reduced the fine by 50%

I'm only posting positive comments on the forum from now on.

Warnings were sent from 17 April to 9 May. Penalty Charge Notices are now being issued. 

This one on Adys Road is particularly bad as there are no advance warning notices & by the time you see this notice you have no way to avoid going into the closure zone other than reversing down Adys Road!

(Operational Mon-Fri 8:39-9:15 & 15:00-15:45)

• 3 weeks later...

I have just received a ticket on Adys rd. the offence says failing to comply with a prohibition on certain types of vehicles. This is beyond a joke. I didn’t even notice a sign stating about a prohibition. I’m more concerned with keeping an eye out for any parents and children that may be crossing the road. Absolutely going to appeal.

Exactly. When I am driving along streets with cars parked either side and lots of people around, my focus is quite short, looking out for dangers in the immediate area rather than looking up at roadside signage etc. I would have been caught out by similar near Ivydale school had I not recently been leafleted about the change from them using physical barriers in school hours to using cameras- the new sign at the roadside was unobtrusive. If they are going to do this there ought to be road markings too.

You will be pleased to know that there is detailed government guidance on road signage, I've only flicked through but Nicola and radiant I suggest that you have a read.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/771873/traffic-signs-manual-chapter-1.pdf

I am happy in looking at higher level road signs and I am an excellent, courteous and safe driver and cyclist.

I've had a few penalties in the past, in recent years more often than not for misinterpreting signage, which is my own fault.  In the past it would be through willfully ignoring it and/or taking a risk.  I've learned 😀

If the signage does not meet national guidance then of course write to your Councillor and if still unhappy a formal complaint.

If signage does meet national guidance then you will need to raise your issues with the government, I always do this through my MP.

On 11/06/2023 at 11:05, malumbu said:

You will be pleased to know that there is detailed government guidance on road signage, I've only flicked through but Nicola and radiant I suggest that you have a read.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/771873/traffic-signs-manual-chapter-1.pdf

I am happy in looking at higher level road signs and I am an excellent, courteous and safe driver and cyclist.

I've had a few penalties in the past, in recent years more often than not for misinterpreting signage, which is my own fault.  In the past it would be through willfully ignoring it and/or taking a risk.  I've learned 😀

If the signage does not meet national guidance then of course write to your Councillor and if still unhappy a formal complaint.

If signage does meet national guidance then you will need to raise your issues with the government, I always do this through my MP.

is there anything similar to this parking signs?

On 11/06/2023 at 11:05, malumbu said:

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a contravention, £65, then £130, etc…

I drove there on 23rd June and didn’t take any notice to the new very white signs, was wondering why not using red as in Dulwhich Village, which are very visible.

Red is to attract the attention of drivers, white is to get happily unnoticed, in my view. Cheeky cheeky council.

I can agree in principle to protect kids, that is fine, but the way it’s communicated, that is wrong.

I might challenge this, anyone has already? 

This one feels I was genuinely unaware, I did this road thousands of times before.

The sign has a red outline “prohibition” circle with a car and a motorcycle in it, plus timing information. I believe the village has a solid blue “mandatory instruction” circle showing only busses are permitted. Different signs for different purposes. 

I don’t understand this mindset from some posters that council staff are thinking “we’re going to claim to put in place a scheme make it less likely that school children are run over but secretly we want people to ignore our signs and drive through anyway so we can fine them instead”! They could have implemented a full closure like outside Bellenden Road Primary School  (at the end of Nutbrook) and then we’d have a forum full of “why can’t we have camera controls” like we do about the closures in Dulwich Village!

On 27/06/2023 at 14:58, clacanova said:

I just got a contravention, £65, then £130, etc…

I drove there on 23rd June and didn’t take any notice to the new very white signs, was wondering why not using red as in Dulwhich Village, which are very visible.

Red is to attract the attention of drivers, white is to get happily unnoticed, in my view. Cheeky cheeky council.

I can agree in principle to protect kids, that is fine, but the way it’s communicated, that is wrong.

I might challenge this, anyone has already? 

This one feels I was genuinely unaware, I did this road thousands of times before.

If the fine is for driving south on Adys Road check the photo. The sign on the left Hand side of the road has been removed for a week or so now. Also there is often a large white van parked blocking the view of the sign.

I have no problem with making the streets around schools safer. Adys Road at school times was bad, mainly made dangerous by the parents dropping off their children. But these signs are poorly placed.

Yes I got caught too, had no idea about this new restriction! there don't seem to be any advance warnings either which I've seen in other locations. I was heading South down Adys Road and just didn't see the sign at all. I don't think there's much point in appealing but I will raise the issue of poor signage.

• 3 weeks later...