Trees on Upland Road

Hi

Can anyone tell me what species the trees are on Upland Road? I mean the ones on the pavement opposite the old Dulwich Music Shop and the new jeweller, at the Northcross Road end. I need to know for insurance purposes; am not very good with tree species and can't get the Southwark Council Tree Preservation people to answer the phone.

Thanks

Alice

Just been to have a look (how sad is that?)

There are various different kinds of trees, not all one kind.

The one on the same side as the music shop and nearest to it appears to be an Acer (maple) of some sort. They are usually grown as street trees for their Autumn colour.

The one opposite has a heart (ish) - shaped leaf. The trunk doesn't look like a Birch. Got too much to do to ID it, but if you google street trees in London you might be able to track it (and the others in the area) down.

Good luck!

alji Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi

> Can anyone tell me what species the trees are on

> Upland Road? I mean the ones on the pavement

> opposite the old Dulwich Music Shop and the new

> jeweller, at the Northcross Road end. I need to

> know for insurance purposes; am not very good with

> tree species and can't get the Southwark Council

> Tree Preservation people to answer the phone.

> Thanks

> Alice

That particular tree belongs to the Acer Palmatum group which have moderate to deeply divided leaves.

From the photo, I would go with a Tillia (lime) too. The council planted some along our road about 5 years ago. They have small heart shaped leaves,and are meant to be a small-growing variety with lots of summer flowers for the bees and no sticky drop. We have one right outside which so far has reached the top of the upstairs windows. It's only about 3 metres from our house wall and I'm hoping the roots won't be a problem.

Thanks everyone so much; very much appreciated. I did try to post a good quality photo but as it was good quality it was too big. Sue I love it that you had a look :-)

I am hoping the roots won't be a problem too......

I am sure that one of the criteria for street trees, at least those planted reasonably recently, would be that the roots (or any other part of the tree) would not affect nearby houses?

alji I have to admit I only went for a look because it is just round the corner from my home :))