My stubborn lawn!

ZoeG

Pls help!

I had a lawn lain from new turf 18 months ago. It's been patchy for about a year now. I tried once to re seed it a year ago and nothing happened, and I've tried again a month ago and still nothing :(

Attempt 1 : stabbed the crp out of the lawn with cutlery forks (didn't own a proper one), mixed 1 box of

lawn seed with jewsons multi purpose and springled over the lawn. Watered for a few days and

then rain.

Attempt 2 : Churned up the bald patches with a proper garden fork after raking. sprinkled in loads of seed

(asked at garden shop round the corner and they recommended this type), then sprinkled over fine

jewsons no. 2 compost, watered for couple of days then rain took over (loads of it recently)

NADA !!

South facing garden. small. most of it has part sun part shade, some of it (the most patchy) is always in shade.

Thanks!

P.S. what happened to Garden Nation in Upland Road Area?

Dear Zoe,

don't panic. When the gods take away with one hand, they give back with the other.

Luckily this "lawn" instead of growing into a tedious, mower-hungry ryegrass monoculture - can become a beautiful wildflower-rich patch. You will enjoy it far more once you put the right weeds back as they will attract insects including butterflies. The seedheads attract small garden birds such as finches. It is hard to describe the relief, too, at not needing to mow it more than once a year (usually August or early September, and then not very short). The thing is to use the places which have meagre turf to transplant some wildflower plugs. Choose anythng you like, sweet scented clovers, cuckoo flowers, yarrow, hawkweeds, low growing daisies and thyme, even mint amongst the shade and moss - it all turns into habitat.

You can sprinkle wildflower seeds, but these will tend to vanish just as your grass-seed is doing - something is munching it, probably city pigeons and rodents and snails.

If you wait till the autumn some patches start to fill with small spontaneous plants too. Some of these will be tree-seeds, which will get to potting-on size next year, when you dig them carefully out and nurture them as a future forest for grandchildren.

Ahhh, we have cats... I wonder if that is the problem?? The shade part is worse. I mowed the lawn this evening and it just looks like it is going bald..... Thanks for the advice - will keep trying before astro-turf?

ZoeG Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ahhh, we have cats... I wonder if that is the

> problem?? The shade part is worse. I mowed the

> lawn this evening and it just looks like it is

> going bald..... Thanks for the advice - will keep

> trying before astro-turf?

xxxxxxx

PLEASE don't get astro-turf!

I was horrified the other week to visit an open garden in Peckham which had astro-turf laid in one section :(

As stated above, you need a special mix of grass seed for shade. And if you've already had turf laid and then two different lots of grass seed (is that right?) it's going to be patchy anyway with different kinds of grass.

What's the garden shaded by, if it's south-facing? If a tree, that could be part of the problem. Are the patches/bare bits in the shady parts?

Who laid the turf? Did they realise the garden was part-shaded?

Shouldn't they be taking some responsibility for its not properly establishing? Did they give you maintenance instructions?

Did you put netting over the reseeded areas and keep them watered?

How large an area is it? I'm wondering whether you'd be better cutting your losses and starting again - I'd be inclined to go for nice paving rather than astroturf if you give up on grass, though. At least with some kinds of paving you can grow plants between the cracks .....

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ZoeG Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > P.S. what happened to Garden Nation in Upland

> Road

> > Area?

>

> xxxxxx

>

> PlantNation is still there and open ..... :)

The guy in there told my next door neighbour that they are permanently shutting up shop very soon.

If you are doing a returf of a lawn its perhaps best to do it yourself, as the preparation of the soil on which the turf is to be placed is the key to it looking good in the longer term, and a strong connection between turf and soil.

I'm sure some firms do it well but others may take short cuts on the prep.