Cyclists taking over paths!!

Newmum2019

It’s getting ridiculous now. I do understand why parents are worried about cycling with their kids on the roads but the amount of people cycling on the paths of East Dulwich is totally unacceptable. 

My son was nearly knocked the the ground coming out of our front garden by someone speeding past on a bike. Someone is going to be seriously injured.

Cut the stereotypes please.  As for parents/carers not encouraging their kids to ride on the road when they are old/responsible/competent enough, or when they are younger responsible adults riding on the road with, that's my starting point .  I'd ask government through my MP about this and report back.  Rather than setting off the knee jerk responses you will get here 

4 hours ago, alice said:

This is nothing to do with stereotypes. You can’t be unaware that they’re is more cycling on pavements than ever before. I do it myself on wide pavements. 

I agree. Definitely more cycling on pavements going on, including on those without dedicated cycle paths. In an earlier post elsewhere, someone observed that cycling on pavements had been more or less decriminalised. If cyclists begin to feel more 'entitled' about cycling on any pavement then, yes, there will be more injuries.

Probably a good time to post the latest BarbyonaBike rogue gallery of cyclists.....some classics here:

0.27 that was close!

0.41 Dulwich Library the favourite bike light jumping spot

3.54 Using pedestrians as a chicane on a crossing on a jacked Lime bike

5.16 Is the Full Kit Wally lost?

5.21 The one handed cycling cricketer whilst using the phone onto the pavement is some skill!

6.23 Is that a baby or a doll?

On 05/07/2023 at 19:41, Rockets said:

Probably a good time to post the latest BarbyonaBike rogue gallery of cyclists.....some classics here:

0.27 that was close!

0.41 Dulwich Library the favourite bike light jumping spot

3.54 Using pedestrians as a chicane on a crossing on a jacked Lime bike

5.16 Is the Full Kit Wally lost?

5.21 The one handed cycling cricketer whilst using the phone onto the pavement is some skill!

6.23 Is that a baby or a doll?

Because they can!

cyclists can knock people over or go into the backs of cars & cycle off…… until of course they do it to the wrong person 😒

many people are entitled in these times. Really sad!

I personally feel you need a license of some sort to cycle on highways……. As well as insurance!

2 hours ago, sweetgirl said:

Because they can!

cyclists can knock people over or go into the backs of cars & cycle off…… until of course they do it to the wrong person 😒

many people are entitled in these times. Really sad!

I personally feel you need a license of some sort to cycle on highways……. As well as insurance!

Meanwhile. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jul/06/car-crashes-into-primary-school-in-south-london-wimbledon

I agree it’s a pain and a menace. It’s all comers - yoovz, yummy mummies, OAPs, trendy daddies, MAMILs. Every one of them thinks the rules don’t apply because “insert solipsistic excuse here”. If you do it, you’re selfish and irresponsible (but you’re likely not to acknowledge that to yourself to protect your shaky self image). 

Most cyclists cycle on the road.  Beyond a quick short cut, getting round traffic blocking the road and the like I don't know why cyclists use pavements and nor do you.  We can speculate all we want.  This thread won't sort out the issue.  It's not even a proper soap box.  Those who don't follow the highway code whatever sort of road user don't post here.  Well apart from Alice.  And someone when younger who felt entitled (mainly ignoring speed limits) ie me!

Dodging bikes is now becoming a daily sport for many in Dulwich. Is it a lack of cycling education/ignorance or pig headedness? Are these folks even aware of the rules? It seems not many are aware of the rules as I have yet to see a single cyclist give way to pedestrians at junctions (I am sure there are those that do but the majority don't).

Many years ago my old aunt was knocked down outside the now Sainsbury's local, by a child on a bike. Already disabled with one leg shorter than the other and wearing a surgical boot, people rushed to help her but the boy cycled off quickly . She was in pain for years afterwards. Many local people have hearing impairments and would not hear a cyclist coming up on the pavement behind them. Equally a blind or partially sighted person would not automatically move out of the way of a cyclist.  

Four parents on (racing) bicycles on the footpath with kiddies riding beside on seen within five minutes on E D Grove this morning. When I pointed out that it was for pedestrians I got hard stares - pretty common to be angry once thry are told they’re in the wrong (especially when they always knew they were!). Also, two parents on Road on bicycles as their kids cycled very acceptably and legally on the pavement. 

I used to cycle down EDG on the road with my young child cycling beside me on the pavement. To go at the same slow speed as the child didn't feel safe at all tbh for either me or the child. So can well understand why some parents might go on the pavement when supervising young ones. 

The type of bike they are riding has little relevance, but if you mention that they were on racers/road bikes to convey a spectrum of acceptableness or otherwise, I would say that if such riders are travelling slowly and give way courteously to peds then that behaviour would be at the low end of that spectrum.

The alternative for them might be a level of physical risk they're not okay with or being ,yet another family driving up and down EDG four times a day for the sake of the school run, and no-one wants that either. 

On 16/07/2023 at 03:01, sweetgirl said:

As you may have heard the driver experienced a medical episode!

such a sad situation for all involved 🙏🏽

...and had they been in a normal sized car, it's unlikely it would've had such tragic consequences.