ED Nature Watch

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How cruel of you Sue. Replace it immediately with

> half a dozen of ED's finest organic ones!

>

xxxxxxx

If s/he continues to dig up my bulbs and disturb the rest of my carefully planted stuff, I shall not be replacing it with eggs, organic or not, I shall be replacing it with either very pointy things or peppercorms :))

Wow - that's an enormous amount of fatballs, Jean. I feed the birds all through the year and get well rewarded when they turn up with all their youngsters. Apart from the flock of starling fledglings that were guided in by a couple of adults one year who stayed just long enough to show them where the food was before making a quick getaway.

Mekon: I'm so jealous. Never seen a waxwing.

A milestone day in the garden, the first chaffinch I have ever seen here came and pecked around beneath the last of the fat balls.

Which was nice for me, but not liked by the pair of robins who consider it their rite to clean up the ground below the peanut feeders and the fat balls.

They tried unsuccessfully to drive him out, but pickings were far too rich to give up without a fight and the chaffinch is a bit bigger and heavier, so he was not going to be intimidated by a couple of robins.

I wonder if he will one day be metricated, and be called a chaff25millimetre, sometimes inches still work better!

bandwagonesque Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi, am wanting some spawn or tadpoles for my pond.

> It is perfect for little frogs with low sides,

> over handing rocks and plenty of surrounding

> plants.

> If anyone has to much i'll gladly pop around with

> a bucket!

>

> thanks,

>

> Mat

> 0785 5423587

See lousmith's post earlier in this thread, not very far up. He has a fantastic pond/frog sanctuary in his back garden. I took up his kind offer of frogspawn who are doing nicely in a tank in our back garden.

We've had couple of frogs making sweet love in our pond for last few weeks - they finally stopped this weekend. I haven't spotted any spawn yet but I haven't poked around for it.

It was more exciting than I think should probably admit on a public forum and I am glad they got there themselves as I would have been in dilemma about transferring and the risk of spreading disease and so on.

The pond was in the garden when we bought the house so I don't know if it will be successful or what is in there already. It is quite small - 1m by 30 cm

Does anyone have any advice on things we can go do to help them along. It is quite bare around the edge and the surface is mostly covered in what looks like tiny Frogbit no other larger plants as far as I can see.

Slightly outside ED, but looked out of the window of the Quaker Meeting House in Forest Hill last week to see a sparrowhawk finishing the remains of a pigeon.

Also, (back to ED), had several garden visits from coal tits this year, for the first time as far as I know.

Just saw a handsome, but pesky Magpie flying on to my roof with an adult Robin hanging lifeless from its beak. Didn't see whether it had killed it or not, but it shocked me as I thought they only took baby and fledgeling birds.

Lousmith, I think you kindly offered me some frogspawn, but I can't find the post.

I've been given some frog and toadspawn now, and am rushing out excitedly every morning to see if there's been any change !

I decided not to sink the tub into the ground because I'd probably have to move it again when I redesign my garden, so it's just sitting on top of the ground - I've provided a pile of stones inside the tub and a "bridge" onto solid land, so hopefully things will be able to find their way out .......