Any signs of World Vegetarian Week (19-25th May) in ED?

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Pythagorus and his merry band didn't eat beans

> because they produced wind and he thought there

> was a spirit in the beans!

Is that the same one that inhabits soya milk?

I didn't know this either: Vegetarianism in modern form, invented in Kent. Practically SE22. Makes you proud.

The term "vegetarian" was coined in 1847. It was first formally used on September 30th of that year by Joseph Brotherton and others, at Northwood Villa in Kent, England. The occasion being the inaugural meeting of the Vegetarian Society of the United Kingdom.

For many years prior to 1847, non-meat eaters were generally known as Pythagoreans or adhering to the "Pythagorean System", after the ancient Greek "vegetarian" Pythagorus.

V informative Snooze. I am a fish and dairy eating veggie so not in fact veggie at all, just someone who doesn't eat meat and hasn't for over 30 years. I find the attitude of most meat eaters hilarious in that they feel they've not had a proper meal unless it involved meat. Obviously in SE22 this doesn't apply (admin).

There are a bunch of super religious types in India - can't remember the name - who don't eat any roots; garlic, onions etc, as that destroys the plant and is therefore a no no.

demery Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Veggie restaurant in Hammersmith is called The

> Gate.

>

> Ab Fab!

Ah yes The Gate - thanks for reminding me - it was driving me mad - lovely restaurant, lovely setting, great staff - wish it was in ED not in Hammersmith.