Kitchen renovations

Digbina

Does anyone have any recommendations for a one-stop-shop kitchen redesign and fittings company? We want to knock through into our utility room to create more space and then refit the kitchen into the new space. We have a quote from Pimlico Plumbers already, but I'm interested in others' recommendations (and also any tip-offs about who to avoid!)

Thanks very much.

Pimlico plumbers are as far as I am concerned the most incredibly expensive company in the world. How else can they afford to have personalised plated on all their vans. I have first hand experience of their costs. Some are rich enough to use them. I wouldn't.

Hi. How about using a builder as the starting point, and then Howdens? They only supply to trade so you have to go through the builder, but they will come out and design your kitchen just like any other company. And they are CHEAP! I can highly recommend my builder - let me know if you want details.

Each to their own Salsaboy. You get varying discounts depending on negotiations, and I found them cheap at the end of negotiations! Their customer service isn't brilliant but if you use a builder that is an important enough customer to them, it strangely improves. In my experience.

I have been designing and fitting kitchens for over 50 years and i can assure that there is no "one size fits all" as far as the design and installation is concerned. I do not charge for a first visit to discuss your requirements but would be pleased to give you a firm quotation for the works. Please give me a call on either 07802 716856 or 0208 693 0651

I am a kitchen fitter and despite going in on several occasions to try and get quotes from them, they are rude and very un-helpful. I know that this may not apply to all of their branches but the one I've been to in Beckenham is a waste of time.

In my opinion Ikea are the best value kitchens around. I've fitted 5 this year already, doing my 6th one now.

Interesting that PP is getting a bagging here, but no-one is prepared to come forward to give any specifics. Interesting too that the posters doing that and recommending independent tradesmen are just that themselves. Conflict of interest much?

In my experience, it's been the small independents who haven't turned up when they've said they would, left jobs incomplete, left us stranded for days while they went off to do another job, don't finish the job to a high standard, and damaged our property while doing the job... This has been with plumbing, electrics, interior painting, re-pointing, small handyman-type jobs and window work so not specific to one trade. Now, I have sometimes had the opposite experience with an independent, but for a job costing 10s of thousands, I'm not willing to risk a repeat of all that without getting a personal recommendation. In my experience, Pimlico have turned up on time, done the job needed and done it properly, left our plumbing and boiler intact, and we haven't had to call them back to finish off the job. If you have to pay a premium for that, then so be it.

The beauty of the forum is that everyone has had different experiences, from the larger companies, to the smaller independents, and have shared their experiences and given feedback on the forum. I had a negative experience with one company years ago, a smaller independent company. However I decided to bite the bullet and use another independent company, and had a great experience, and have used them ever since.

I had my Bathroom and Kitchen renovated, in my buy to let a while ago by Mc Govern Design and Build, and have earmarked them for my next project. It is important to have a good professional relationship with your builder, and I feel very lucky, I have a great team of guys, I can trust and rely on. (Il stop gushing now:)

Steven 0208 432 2247

Archived