London Borough of Southwark - things we like, positive discussion please!

malumbu

On 08/10/2023 at 15:35, malumbu said:

Rocks as per original post, slightly amended, this is for this is about the Council and your Councillors.  Please do not hijack, and that goes to the rest of you on the CPZ/LTN etc threads.

It would be interesting to hear positive experience on planning, both projects that have been approved and where you were successful in objecting. 

I think the thread title doesn't presently make it clear that you are wanting comments on the council and councillors and not the borough in general?

As most threads you post on are negative about Southwark Rocks, that's not a jibe but a factual statement, there are plenty of others threads out there to express your displeasure.

Sue, do you know how good Southwark are at supporting cultural events?  I assume that they are involved in the Dulwich festival and the Dulwich Park show.  Used to take the kids to the latter and recall it being great.

There are other threads discussing the good and bad experiences of events/festivals on the Rye and Dulwich Park organised by outside bodies.

17 hours ago, Sue said:

I think the thread title doesn't presently make it clear that you are wanting comments on the council and councillors and not the borough in general?

Sue I agree - it's still not clear from the headline and I think it may still be confusing people as Malumbu clearly wants positive endorsement of the council and councillors so it should mention that in the headline.

I thought it is quite interesting that many of the things people are suggesting are either infrastructure, that have been here for generations (parks and open spaces), or services that are out-sourced to other companies (parks and open spaces upkeep - Quadron; waste management - Veolia; leisure centre management - Everything Active - although I realise that was brought back in-house in June of this year).

While most open spaces have been around for a long time, they are constantly evolving and require constance maintenance.

As for outsourced services, they are still services provided by the council although fulfilled by others. It is the council who oversee the quality of the outsourcing and if the quality isn't good enough they are terminated as in the case of Everyone Active.

Edited by Jenijenjen

Mulumbu must be in a very privileged area of Lewisham! I’m in LBL, just over the border from Southwark and we’ve lost many street trees over the years and they have never been replaced. In think Lewisham have a stake in the tarmac industry. Out comes the tree, in plops the tarmac! I am impressed with the care and comprehensive planting of street trees in Southwark, well the southern end at least, as that is my own experience. I do agree with Malumbu’s complaint about Lewisham pavements. 

Edited by Brian up the hill
Typing error.

4 hours ago, malumbu said:

Sue, do you know how good Southwark are at supporting cultural events?  I assume that they are involved in the Dulwich festival and the Dulwich Park show.  Used to take the kids to the latter and recall it being great.

I don't know, sorry. 

On 09/10/2023 at 15:36, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

The libraries are really good. 👌 We should be proud of them.

Burgess Park is very good - and the BMX track is an amazing facility.

Home Library Service is brill.  Librarians understand how alone housebound folk were during pandemic and escapeism offered by reading and how it helped mental health, The very small team challenged the council the council to allow them to keep the service going so after lots of meetings it was agreed as long as wore full Protective clothing masks etc, observed social distancing and the users left the books for 3 days before handling it was agreed.  Certainly helped my mental health - I wda gone mad with nothing to read.

Sorry but rather disappointed in Southwark at the moment - riding rough shod over residents, the many cultural events are private companies using our public spaces with very little explanation of the revenue gleaned and how it is spent. Implementation of traffic schemes that are damaging our small independent businesses plus a complete disregard for the opinions of the actual residents- plus of course the revelations on video of housing issues. The only good thing I can think of is the adventure playgrounds for children tho of course Dog Kennel Hill had to publicly crowdfund to try and get improvements to the facilities offered (inc the loos) 

Moving onto the positives got an email from the Southwark person liaising with other stakeholders over renovation of the East Lodge at Nunhead Cemetery.  Very positive but don't worry most of the money isn't coming from your council tax.

Also credit for saving the Concrete House, top of lordship Lane, listed and the first in the country, that the owner was letting it fall down in anticipation of redevelopment.

On 24/10/2023 at 12:33, Smiley_blue_1234 said:

This forum!!! A Southwark treasure, though appreciate the borough does not have anything to do with it 😅

I agree, the forum is a real community asset and a means to give issues a wider airing. I like it when Southwark Council listens to the residents it represents. Sadly, this does not happen as often as it should.