London Borough of Southwark - things we like, positive discussion please!

malumbu

The pavements are great.  And libraries.  I expect some have positive experience of social care LBS provide, child and adult social care and help that their councillor/s have provided.  

Please please keep this to positive stuff.  Thanks all.

Edited by malumbu

Peckham Rye Park, St Giles churchyard, Lucas Gardens, Burgess Park, and my favourite - Ruskin Park.

Kings College Hospital happens to be in the area. I have had my life saved there (more than twice).

Despite restaurants' challenges there's also some really great food 👌 

Rocks as per original post, slightly amended, this is for this is about the Council and your Councillors.  Please do not hijack, and that goes to the rest of you on the CPZ/LTN etc threads.

It would be interesting to hear positive experience on planning, both projects that have been approved and where you were successful in objecting. 

Heh at the pavements as the first item.

This must be a troll thread.

The pavements are literally covered in dog shit, they get cleaned only once every three months, there is litter and detritus all over them, the have pot holes and cracked slabs and whole streets made of tarmac which sticks to your shoes in summer and cracks with frozen water in winter and mostly has tree roots growing through. 

The ones that are lucky enough to still have a public bin on them (barely any these days) are also covered in rubbish strewn all over by the foxes rats and pigeons that the council don't seem to do much about. 

The pavements are a hazard. If they are really one of the first positives for the council then we are truly screwed.

Edited by CPR Dave

If you cross over to Lewisham CPR you will go from lovely laid well maintained slab pavements to cracked paving stones not well laid in the first place with small forests growing from them, damage made from cars and skips, tree root damage all poorly patched with tarmac.  On the positive Lewisham are pretty good at planting and maintaining street trees.  Thanks for the positive stuff on LBS nice to get some balance 

Vik, you reminded me. Free swim and gym for all Southwark Fridays and Saturday afternoons

Details here

Free swim and gym

Free swim and gym - I got this  

Southwark residents can use swimming and gym facilities for free in all of our leisure centres

You can get free access at the following times:

It is easy to register for this great offer, you can:

To get registered, take proof of identification and your home address to your local leisure centre and collect your membership card (available the day after registration).

If you wish to use the gym, call or visit your local leisure centre to book an induction appointment (this is not required for swimming).

If you’re a resident your GP or other medical experts can refer you for other free exercise programmes.

Follow Southwark Leisure on

34 minutes ago, Jenijenjen said:

Not very glamorous and I hope I'm not jinxing it but refuse and recycling collection usually goes ahead without hitch. The collection guys are generally cheerful and friendly. 

So a shout-out (which I entirely endorse) for Veolia