Indian Mischief

DulwichFox

That's a real shame, I really liked the food there and thought it was good value.

It wasn't like anything else you could get round here.

I personally think the general decor and atmosphere may have been a large part of the problem. They didn't change much from when it was a quite crap Chinese restaurant, and it always seemed a bit bare and caff like.

That's a real shame and suprising considering the number of more or less similar Indian restaurants in the Lane that have been opened for years, that something a bit different couldn't get the trade. I do agree however that it was a bit canteenish, but that didn't stop Wagamama!

I would argue the main reason for it not doing well was not serving meat. Which is totally up to management but I have long argued there just isn't enough demand for vegetarian only restaurants

And if a (very good) Indian restaurant can't make veggies work, well...

We liked it there but not too often as all the dishes tended to taste the same. It seemed maybe a bit too 'authentic'. The Bel Phoori Houses in Drummond Street, behind Euston Station, which serve south Indian dosa etc are always packed - the food is delicious and it seemed as though Indian Mischief was going to be the same, but it wasn't quite.

Very sorry it's shut - we need a South Indian vegetarian restaurant to complement all the others.

wolis Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

The Bel Phoori Houses in

> Drummond Street, behind Euston Station, which

> serve south Indian dosa etc are always packed -

> the food is delicious and it seemed as though

> Indian Mischief was going to be the same, but it

> wasn't quite.

xxxxxxx

Yes, I agree with that.

The vegetarian restaurant debate has been done to death, but at the end of the day the majority of us eat meat, and the majority of meat eaters want to eat meat when they go out for dinner.

There is definitely a market for veggie restaurants in big cities like London, but they either have to be in a central location to attract people from all over the city, or serve amazingly good food.

No reason why any Veggie Restaurant would fail just my being Veggie.

Never been inside but seem to remember there were bench type seats with no backs.

Or was that when it was a Chinese gaff.

Not very comfortable.. if intending to stay for a few drinks. (Don't know if it was Licenced)

Menu seemed to contain high carbohydrate content.Rice & breads. Which is not suitable for my diatery needs.

Otherwise I would liked to of tried it. Also did not seemed set up for sole diners..

Never looked that busy so not that many people that concerned it has closed.

Those that are should of gone there more often...

There may well be similar problems with other new projects on the horizon if people do not

honor their comitments. How many outlets came you become a regular at. ?

Cannot keep every business afloat.

Foxy

I'm very saddened to hear this. Indian Mischief was the only restaurant in East Dulwich that we ate at. All of the remaining Indian restaurants have the same type of food but Indian Mischief was proper South Indian and better than the restaurants in Drummond Street in my opinion.

tomskip Wrote:

> A big shame. I am a non-vegetarian who really

> liked it.

xxxxxx

Same here. I'm a meat eater but I like good vegetarian food, which this was.

I thought some of their dishes were better than the restaurants in Drummond Street (which incidentally I believe are run by the same people - ETA: Sorry, don't mean the same people as Indian Mischief, I mean both the restaurants in Drummond Street are run by the same people) but others not. I didn't like their bhel poori (spelling?) so much, and if memory serves they didn't make the delicious kulfi which alone is worth going to Drummond Street for.

And they had problems with portion sizes, which for a while were too small (which they said was due to feedback from customers who had said they were too big!). They did then increase them, but the fillings in the dhosas were never as - er - filling as the Drummond Street ones, and the amount of coconut chutney etc always seemed a bit mean.

Dulwich Fox says "Never looked that busy so not that many people that concerned it has closed.

Those that are should of gone there more often..."

Fox, we are not all like you who eat at the same place (Jafflong) a zillion times a week :))

Sue Wrote:

>

> Dulwich Fox says "Never looked that busy so not

> that many people that concerned it has closed.

>

> Those that are should of gone there more

> often..."

>

> Fox, we are not all like you who eat at the same

> place (Jafflong) a zillion times a week :))

The point is Sue that restaurants rely on regular customers....

Like you say You will defo be going to the Ivy House...

and you have said 'shame about Hoopers' you would defo go there.

and at one time you would defo be going back to the Cherry Tree

and it is a shame about the Mag because would you defo be going there..

and you will be using the Olde Nuns Head..

Unless you and others do not go to the Ivy House as a regular it will fail..

You cannot keep all the pubs and rests. afoat by going there one a month..

Indian Mischief is to become a Pasta/ Pizza gaff.

In respect of the short time since it closed, i suspect it will be the same owners.. ??

Foxy

Erm, what are you talking about Fox?

Yes I would deffo have been going back to the Cherry Tree in its brief incarnation as a great place for food and ales.

But it isn't any more, is it? Since the fantastic managers were unceremoniously ditched?

I will be going to The Ivy House lots when it re-opens, as not only do I have shares in it but we are putting on gigs there.

http://www.thegooseisout.com/events.html

No idea what you're talking about re The Mag.

We go to The Old Nun's Head as not only do we hold gigs and Singarounds there, but they do a fantastic Sunday roast.

Hoopers is history.

Are you suggesting that people should, as you do, frequent the same pub/restaurant day after day/week after week as "regular customers"?

This isn't a village with only one pub!

Basically you need sufficient people who go there even just once in a while to keep you afloat.

It's not dissimilar to running music gigs, as we do. We have well over a thousand people on our emailing list, but - obviously - not all of them come to every gig.

So, people may like a restaurant but (unlike you) not eat there every week.

Duh.

UncleBen Wrote:

> Don't cry for the owners as not only do they own

> SMBS and Cheeseblock, and some other LL businesses

> rumour has it that they still have the 'new'

> pasta/pizza gaff it is to become.

xxxxxxx

Not sure anybody was crying for the owners, more crying that a restaurant with some relatively interesting/different Indian food was disappearing from LL ?

Something New was tried...

Not enough people wanted it..

Owners cannot be expected to continue with a business idea that clearly is not working.

So they try something else. Menus are now in window.. not sure if they are open yet..

Soon will be. Whole thing has been turned round in a matter of a few weeks.

That's how business needs to be run...

Endless committee meetings not required..

DulwichFox.

We had a take away veggie pizza today, and free garlic bread. Really tasty and the staff are really nice. Shame about Indian Mischief, food was lovely, but we have to roll with the times. The terrace at the back is great, all year round.

Great we have a Sicilian restaurant and Sardinian restaurant in the ED community.

Archived