Squatters in the old Lloyds Bank (opposite Dulwich Library)

Tipperary

Does anyone know what the council's policy is on squatters. The old bank is a council building that has been left unfilled for over two years. Outside is a main thoroughfare for kids going to school in the mornings. Police have been called a number of times due to disturbances but don't have the power to remove.

PXL_20231101_122030096.jpg

PXL_20231101_122139361.jpg

If I was cold, skint, homeless and vulnerable then I think any four walls and a roof would be my preferred option.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would be keen to know if any curtain-twitching neighbours here on the forum can expand on the nature of any disturbances they might have imagined...

Presumably the squatters are reserving their sinister antisocial spectacles for those moments that the kids are journeying to and from school.

Many organisations with empty buildings waiting to be sold/redeveloped etc go for the guardianship options. Approved tenants pay a set rent inclusive of bills per room until the owners of property are ready to start work. My granddaughter and partner are in such a scheme in North London - a former care home. One room and ensuite loo and wash basin, communal kitchen and showers. Unfortunately the building has now received planning consent for flats so they will have to move. Joining the many other young couples seeking affordable London accommodation. When they were living at home - were paying £60 pw fares each. Both are NHS workers.

On 16/11/2023 at 14:15, alice said:

Squatters are quite often children of the middle-class, having fun rather than people from the homeless or council waiting lists. 

This is just lazy Daily Mail regurgitation. The facts are available here from Crisis: https://www.crisis.org.uk/media/236930/squatting_a_homelessness_issue_2011.pdf

• 3 weeks later...