Which is the best curry restaurant on Lordship Lane?

bh28

None of them any more.

Edited to add: I agree with the posts below that Kokum is excellent, but it isn't on Lordship Lane and it is in a different category of restaurant to the run of the mill places on Lordship Lane.

And also considerably more expensive!

Edited by Sue

• 3 weeks later...

I had a prawn Madras in Mirash last week.

It wasn't good. They seemed to have used dried shrimps. A lot of them, but dried, and I don't think they had been properly rehydrated. They were a strange texture.

I don't recall ever coming across this before, but on the other hand it's probably decades since I last had a prawn Madras.

And they did make me cucumber raita to go with it, albeit a very small portion.

• 3 weeks later...

Also not on Lordship Lane, but I may be the last to discover that the premises which had been occupied by Ganapati's takeaway service in Maxted Road  is now another South Indian takeaway called Malabar Feast.

I haven't tried it yet, but their menu looks yummy (I picked up their flyer on the way past).

https://malabarfeast.co.uk/

Though I'm hoping the photos on the website don't do it justice.

Free delivery, minimum order £15.

I used to use Dulwich Tandoori on a weekly basis until i had a few poor meals. Rice was soggy and the curry dishes over cooked going to mush. It can happen i accept that but the final put off for me was the price rise which is fair enough but the dishes became smaller in size at the same time. I now use Memsaab who are decent and consistent and also Millennium on Grove vale for take aways. They are surprisingly superb. Consistently spot on, reasonably priced and the veg dishes are very good.

20 hours ago, Sue said:

Also not on Lordship Lane, but I may be the last to discover that the premises which had been occupied by Ganapati's takeaway service in Maxted Road  is now another South Indian takeaway called Malabar Feast.

I haven't tried it yet, but their menu looks yummy (I picked up their flyer on the way past).

https://malabarfeast.co.uk/

Though I'm hoping the photos on the website don't do it justice.

Free delivery, minimum order £15.

We've been to Malabar Feast - it's a very good takeaway - definitely a cut above the rest. We still miss Ganapati though - used to love it

3 hours ago, charlottep said:

The menu at Malabar Feast looks very similar to the menu at Ganapati. Are they definitely not related?

I just assumed they were probably using the same kitchen equipment, which Ganapati had left.

I don't think the menus are particularly similar?

Being South Indian, they are bound to have dosas etc?

If they were related to Ganapati, I would have thought they would have kept the name, as Ganapati has such a good reputation?

5 hours ago, Dulwich dweller said:

I used to use Dulwich Tandoori on a weekly basis until i had a few poor meals. Rice was soggy and the curry dishes over cooked going to mush. It can happen i accept that but the final put off for me was the price rise which is fair enough but the dishes became smaller in size at the same time. I now use Memsaab who are decent and consistent and also Millennium on Grove vale for take aways. They are surprisingly superb. Consistently spot on, reasonably priced and the veg dishes are very good.

We no longer go to Dulwich Tandoori, for reasons unconnected with the food.

I agree Millennium is excellent for takeaways.

Edited by Sue

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/01/2024 at 09:36, scarlettbanks said:

We've been to Malabar Feast - it's a very good takeaway - definitely a cut above the rest. We still miss Ganapati though - used to love it

I love their onion bhajis and the green sauce supplied with them.  The dal is good too. Not tried the dosas yet. 

On 25/01/2024 at 03:51, LivinSaarfMan said:

Anyone living in the area who likes curry needs to try a delivery from two sisters in Nunhead -  it’s leagues above most. 

Constantly searching for similar quality Chinese delivery if anyone has any suggestions 

Just had a look at their menu which looks very interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

2 Sisters told me that they give a discount on the website prices if you pay cash on delivery.  

On 23/01/2024 at 14:12, Sue said:

I just assumed they were probably using the same kitchen equipment, which Ganapati had left.

I don't think the menus are particularly similar?

Being South Indian, they are bound to have dosas etc?

If they were related to Ganapati, I would have thought they would have kept the name, as Ganapati has such a good reputation?

We no longer go to Dulwich Tandoori, for reasons unconnected with the food.

I agree Millennium is excellent for takeaways.

Does Millenium do their own deliveries?

On 04/01/2024 at 22:47, Andy P said:

In my experience they're all crap but then I'm vegetarian so I get mine delivered from Khan's in Brixton.

Their vegetarian dishes are very good.

Do they do their own deliveries?  

7 hours ago, Froglander said:

2 Sisters told me that they give a discount on the website prices if you pay cash on delivery.  

Does Millenium do their own deliveries?

Do they do their own deliveries?  

Yes I believe so.

Ooops, I thought you were referring to Khan's.

I tried a new to me place for a delivery last night, I placed an order on the phone for a delivery and offered to pay with my card then and there. This was because their website wasn’t working for delivery.  Was told they would send a machine with the delivery driver and was then asked by the driver if I wanted to add a tip.  I was already paying more than I would have for cash.  Is asking for a tip common practice now?  Offering 10% off orders for cash seems to be common now. It’s even advertised on the websites with some places. 

It was not Khan’s.  They offer 10% discount for orders over £25 and you don’t need cash.  I will try them next.   It was not 2 Sisters.  They offer a discount for cash too. 

Edited by Froglander

5 hours ago, Froglander said:

It was not Khan’s.  They offer 10% discount for orders over £25 and you don’t need cash.  I will try them next.   It was not 2 Sisters.  They offer a discount for cash too. 

Who was it, then? Don't keep us all in suspense 😂