Take care near frozen lakes - dog rescued this morning in Dulwich

I am the owner of said dog! Thank you to those who asked after her. She's absolutely fine and none the worse for her dip, a veritable Wim Hoff of the canine world!! My partner was astonished to see all the fire engines rock up (not at his insistence!) but the team were brilliant as were the groundstaff. She had swum to the central island and much combined head-scratching could not work out how to safely retrieve her. I'll ignore all the sanctimonious, ill-informed commentary from those who weren't there and don't know what happened. Suffice to say she was not savaging any wildlife.  Do feel free to tut and finger-wag in person; we are in the park most days with our friendly and (mostly) well-behaved dog.

MaryT - I'm very pleased that's she's none the worse for her experience. Very clever girl to get to the island!

Many years ago (back in the '70s) my cousin's very new puppy chased a stick thrown by someone on the otherside of a lake near West Malling onto the ice and fell through. My uncle waded out to rescue her and luckily all was well and she lived to a ripe old age.

I posted the story remembering that incident as things could easily have been so different. I think the emergency services attend animals in distress to avoid owners or other potential rescuers getting into trouble effecting a rescue, but FOUR fire crews!! Must have been a sight to behold.

12 hours ago, Dogkennelhillbilly said:

Probably a good occasion to train for human rescue in realistic circumstances too 🙂

Most definitely...you know how the fire brigade love to play with their toys and getting the boats out probably doesn't happen too often - no wonder it drew engines from all different parts of South London - it was probably a quiet morning!

15 hours ago, MaryT said:

I am the owner of said dog! Thank you to those who asked after her. She's absolutely fine and none the worse for her dip, a veritable Wim Hoff of the canine world!! My partner was astonished to see all the fire engines rock up (not at his insistence!) but the team were brilliant as were the groundstaff. She had swum to the central island and much combined head-scratching could not work out how to safely retrieve her. I'll ignore all the sanctimonious, ill-informed commentary from those who weren't there and don't know what happened. Suffice to say she was not savaging any wildlife.  Do feel free to tut and finger-wag in person; we are in the park most days with our friendly and (mostly) well-behaved dog.

Tell us what really happened. Why was she off the lead there?  But, you weren’t there were you?

This thread has turned from.a genuine warning about dogs on Ice, something that is the cause of most human cold water drownings when they go to rescue their dogs, to a modern day villagers vs Franenstiens monster with the edf masses marching through the street screaming for the monstes blood !

99.99% of us weren't there so speculation and rumours are flying.

Guess I need to start a pitchfork business and make some cash whilst the mob gets angry. 

Incident over, dog safe, no-one or no animals harmed in making of this epic but good initial advice, take care on frozen water 🤔

There was an nice article on a rescue of a dog that had fallen down on a cliff walk onto a ledge.  The locals following a WhatsApp post all helped to look for it then mountain rescue volunteers climbed down to rescue it.  In terms of time and effort you could argue not worth it, but life would be rather sad without the occasional good news story.