Was this a scam?

Amazon delivery driver asked me for my name and date of birth when he delivered a package. He said it was required as there was over 18 content in the package which actually contained a few magnets and a water filtration kit so not sure what was over 18 content!

Just wondering if that was an attempt at identity theft, ie name, address and date of birth.  I gave a false dob but we'll see if any dodgy invoices turn up.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2 minutes ago, JohnBradshaw said:

Crikey, a bit over the top this, you’re overthinking it.

Seemed quite clever to me...just casually ask name and date of birth....and before you know it there's a dodgy company set up at your address.  But glad, so far, others think it's legit.

9 hours ago, JohnBradshaw said:

Crikey, a bit over the top this, you’re overthinking it.

On the contrary.  This is what is called social engineering.  I strongly avoid giving my DOB in public. 

I had a call "this is xxx from zzzzz bank , can you come you dob". R " not in public and how do know you are from zzzzz bank" .

Ok doorstep isn't quite public but not far off! 

Edited by OutOfFocus
Correct typo + add para

Does Amazon routinely ask for DOB at point of sale?

Surely the recipient on the doorstep can just be asked to tick a box saying they are over 18, if they are younger and the delivery person is not sure? With many people it will be fairly apparent they are over 18, making the question about DOB unnecessary?

2 hours ago, first mate said:

Does Amazon routinely ask for DOB at point of sale?

Surely the recipient on the doorstep can just be asked to tick a box saying they are over 18, if they are younger and the delivery person is not sure? With many people it will be fairly apparent they are over 18, making the question about DOB unnecessary?

Yes, and proof of identity.  I have been told twice now that they are not allowed to hand over parcel without it and would get the sack if they did.  My Mum was asked for proof of age and she is 86!

1 hour ago, first mate said:

What do they consider proof of identity. What do they do with that info, is it scanned in? Just curious.

They ask for photo ID.  Typed something onto their device, not sure what.

From Amazon Website

Delivery of age restricted items via Amazon will be to the address on the shipping label, to a redirected address designated by the customer, or the reception of a commercial building. Valid photographic ID of the recipient will be required upon delivery. An age restricted item can be delivered to another adult over the age of 18 at the same address.

We take our responsibility in relation to the sale of age-restricted items extremely seriously. To confirm the recipient is over 18 years, valid photographic ID with a date of birth may be required upon delivery. The driver will input your year of birth into their device and may then require an ID check to complete the age verification process. The driver will not record any other information, take photographs of your ID document or be able to access your information once the delivery is complete. The year of birth is stored securely in Amazon’s systems. This way we can ensure that any legal obligations with respect to age verification have been met and will be deleted according to our retention policy.

Delivery to a locker, pick-up point or nominated safe place location is not available for these items. If there is nobody at the address aged 18 years or over, who can show valid photo identification and accept the package at the delivery address, the item will be returned to Amazon for re-delivery the following day.

If your order is being delivered to a commercial address or residential apartment block, the receptionist, concierge, or mail room attendant receiving your parcel, must provide a valid photo ID, showing they are aged 18 or over. If they can't, the parcel will be returned to Amazon for re-delivery the following day.

Photo identification accepted by Amazon Logistics:

• A passport
  • A European Union or United Kingdom (photocard) driving licence
  • Ministry of Defence Form 90 (a defence identity card issued to serving military)
  • National Identity card issued by European Union Member State (other than the United Kingdom), and Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland
  • A biometric immigration document (issued by The Home Office to individuals going through different stages of the immigration process as a residence permit)
  • A photographic identity card bearing a national Proof of Age Standard Scheme (PASS) hologram

1 hour ago, first mate said:

What do they consider proof of identity. What do they do with that info, is it scanned in? Just curious.

I’ve been asked for date of birth but no ID was requested.  This was when I’d ordered some kitchen (vegetable) knives.  I also noticed online that John Lewis won’t even send out any knives by delivery and this includes knives as part of a cutlery set.  What if you were unable to get to a shop?

Edited by Froglander

Love the bit about "Amazon will securely store your DOB in its system". So it has your name, your address, your phone and email, info on your shopping habits, your card and some banking info, possibly a recording of your voice? But we must not worry as it is all 'safe' and securely stored with Amazon. So what is next, face i/d next, DNA?

To be fair all big retailers are profiling you as they have for twenty years or more.  I get emails from companies I have got quotes from but do not remember tucking a box permitting this.  But Amazon take things further than many.

12 minutes ago, ianr said:

Where are you quoting that from?

It's on Amazon's website,

"We take our responsibility in relation to the sale of age-restricted items extremely seriously. To confirm the recipient is over 18 years, valid photographic ID with a date of birth may be required upon delivery. The driver will input your year of birth into their device and may then require an ID check to complete the age verification process. The driver will not record any other information, take photographs of your ID document or be able to access your information once the delivery is complete. The year of birth is stored securely in Amazon’s systems. This way we can ensure that any legal obligations with respect to age verification have been met and will be deleted according to our retention policy."

Moovart 

Yes it is a scam, they now know all your details, immediately change all your passwords and your front door so that they won't know where you live.

I would also advise watching from behind the curtains for the next 5 years incase they steal your birthday cards.

Stop using amazon as they are just killing small shops (nothing to do with the scam) and dye your hair blue so they won't recognise you if you do go out.

🤣

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Crystal Matt said:

Not a Scam.

Delivery man told me he will lose his job if he fails to get DOB which is required for specified items, E.g. blades or knives or any age restricted items.

But anybody could just lie, surely?

1. There is a legal requirement to limit sales of knives, alcohol etc. to those over 18 and to demonstrate that you are doing so. Such questions are not thus an identity theft scam

2. Where there are sales made to households of items considered dangerous to small children (but not otherwise forbidden) such as small batteries, carriers and sellers may wish to protect themselves from litigation by showing that the goods have been handed over to a 'responsible adult' by doing an age check. If injury then follows they can argue they did not hand something potentially dangerous to a minor. This is not unreasonable in this litigious age.

3. It is much easier (and cheaper) to 'steal' personal data from internet searches, to then steal identities, than it would be door-to-door.