Nestling found on pavement - help please.

mlteenie

I am now feeling the burden of looking after a fluffy bird that has fallen out of a nest. It is weak and practically has no eyes n stuff. I think it may be a crow but my main problem is how to keep it alive and then what to do with it if I can.

I have to go to work now but perhaps you can give a useful suggestion. Tried vet/RSPB and a couple of other places but so far no use.

In the meantime it is in a box in a cupboard to keep it warm enough and away from our cats. Of course it may have shuffled off this mortal coil before I come back but at least it isn't on the tarmac any more awaiting squishing...

cheers

Good for you for trying, but I doubt that the creature will survive. I have tried on many occasions to save nestlings that have fallen from the nest (or been rescued from my cats !) but they don't make it; I guess it's a combination of shock and not receiving the correct food. Always worth trying though - good luck.

Usually one like this has got parents wanting to come down to the ground and feed it.

If you go outdoors you should be able to observe them.

Baby crows, magpies, jackdaws, owls, etc if people hand rear them will bond and 'imprint' on to humans, which might seem sweet, but it is a millstone eventually as they never learn how to feed themselves so are robbed of their adulthood. Wildlife rescue centres are really clued up about this.

The baby will die if its parents cannot tend it during the day so don't keep it in a box, think of a cool, shady, accessible spot you can place it outdoors NEARBY.

It could be one that a predator snatched, injured & then dropped, or one that was ill anyway & the parents themselves booted it out, in which case the prospects don't look good.

Have been known to wring their necks in this circumstance, to spare longdrawn out suffering. Then bury the body pronto or it will become rotten at once in this heat. At least you know under the earth it provides for another sort of life form.

Cats who find sickly prey unappetising anyway, will make things harder for the parents than the chick probably.

I found one last year, apparantly they fall from the nest when learning to fly. The RSPCA told me to leave it where it was and the parents wouldn't be far. I was dubious but they were right.

We have no cats locally but I was worried about foxes!

Is there somewhere sheltered near where it was found that it could be put safely?

Great that you've done so much to try to help it, but I agree with the above that on balance it's better to leave it and hope that the parents will come to it.

Easier said than done I know.

good work on rescuing the poor mite! Just one more thing to add - it is probably best to put it back outside, as others have said, as these baby birds have a ridiculously high metabolism. they would be fed several times an hour by parents during the day - may well starve if not fed for a whole day. I had a friend who rescued a baby corvid of some description and it was a round the clock effort for several weeks to keep it alive.

London Wildlife - 0208 647 6230, Pigeon/wildlife - 07909795064, Three Owls Sanctuary - 07973819389, Pigeon Rescue - 0208 644 7349, just a few with help/advice, if the bird is on a pavement/road its very unlikely mum/dad will be able to rescue/feed baby, the groups above will be able to tell you where to take the bird, well done for helping.

Thanks all for all the suggestions but the little blighter popped off this afternoon. Daughter is devastated but at least it had a gentle end, rather than being stood on or eaten by a cat, etc.

burial tonight. Ah well... :-(

Very sad but as others have said at least you tried which is all you could have done. It's nature.... And nature is very harsh!

I had a sparrow fly into my utility room who was obviously unwell. I made a bed up and an appointment at the vet but it died before I got it there. I also took a sparrow to the vet that had collided with my dog (dog was running and bird flew into the dog which stunned the bird) - vet put the bird down :(

I think wild birds are tricky to save sadly.

On a positive note I have managed to save two lambs and a chicken so always worth a try!