Dulwich tandoori police raid

Greengod

Well all I can say Admin, is that letting comments like that go unchalleged undermines all the great things the forum does elsewhere. There are many who would find that comment unacceptable (some Indian friends of mine for example, are not thinking too highly of this forum at the moment). If we can't challenge those kinds of comments then what is the point of the forum at all?

Why is everyone picking on DJK she wasn't the only (or even the first) person to suggest the comment was inappropriate.

What someone's intentions are, is always impossible to prove. He was probably just trying to be provactive. However, when I read the comment it made me wince. And in a social setting, if someone made a comment like that (even light heartedly) I'd probably find some way to politely avoid them for the rest of the evening...

I think for some, it probably reminds us of the terrible cringeworthy jokes certain older family members sometime make (who we know for a fact to be (mildly) prejudiced). Anyone over 30 has relatives like this, no matter what your race or creed is!

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I actually laughed at the Chicken tarka masala

> joke.

>

> People are forever being accused of racism on

> here... I think it's a sport for some people.

> Better to stay out of it, you can't win.

xxxxxxx

Maybe they are being accused of racism because they are making what many people clearly perceive as being racist comments.

And allowing those comments to remain on here conveys a very unfortunate image of this forum, in my opinion.

The Tarka the Otter joke was completely different and yes I would have laughed except I've heard it before .....

I'm not picking on DJKQ, but she is the one who said things like

"He thinks the staff in an Indian restaurant are unhygenic and to be made fun of."

And I don't know how she knows this.

I just took it like any other joke about cooks spitting (or worse) in the soup, it didn't cross my mind that it was racist or even offensive. Of course there is a chance Uncleben did mean it that way, but I find it worrying how people throw around potentially damaging accusations with no way of actually knowing what a person was thinking.

Sorry Jeremy, I too should have resisted!

Er, what El Pibe said!!! :-S

Yep - unfortunately its whats perceived and there's no judge to rule...

So you have to just avoid saying anything that you have experienced

others saying as racist - even if its preposterous or maybe a joke.

Someone took issue with a well known IT term last week - so now I say

active/passive.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I actually laughed at the Chicken tarka masala

> joke.

>

> People are forever being accused of racism on

> here... I think it's a sport for some people.

> Better to stay out of it, you can't win.

Otta Wrote:

> I just took it like any other joke about cooks

> spitting (or worse) in the soup, it didn't cross

> my mind that it was racist or even offensive.

Working in my first job many years ago, there was a deli across the road and they used put some sort of creamy sauce/dressing on all the food from one of those squirty bottles. Frankly, it usually looked like somebody had jizzed into your lunch. I once joked that they always put a lot of love into their food - it seemed funny at the time. Good job I didn't work with the good people of this forum, otherwise I would have been dragged up in front of HR.

Jokes about chefs diddling with food = absolutely fine

UncleBens comments seem along those lines so I couldn't call them racist. And yet, and yet....

The undertones of "illegal" and "underpants" play to more than just "crazy chefs eh?"

Unlike me to side with djkq and dulwich fox against the likes of otta, Jeremy, David Carnell and el pibe. But there it is

I don't like uncleben as a poster/character but nor am i saying he is racist on this post. I wouldnt call for his post to be removed. But the post wasn't just a bad joke either. It left a bad taste

If people are too quick to call "racist" I would argue he has been too slow to reflect on how it might come across

"Mind your language" sitcom anyone?

Put it another way. In Jeremy's story, there is no victim. White creamy sauce = jizz = smiles

But many other people who already think some races are unclean

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pakis+unclean&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Would interpret illegal/underpants comments as funny because it supports their arguments

Should I see a legit website demeaning chefs in a similar fashion I might review my thoughts

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> Well all I can say Admin, is that letting comments

> like that go unchalleged undermines all the great

> things the forum does elsewhere. There are many

> who would find that comment unacceptable (some

> Indian friends of mine for example, are not

> thinking too highly of this forum at the moment).

> If we can't challenge those kinds of comments then

> what is the point of the forum at all?

What a pile of pi*s.

Who the hell are you to tell people what they should be offended by? You are just assuming they would be offended by it - unless you actually called them up and said "look what this ghastly man has written on the EDF, surely you must be offended by this. Please tell me you are so I can go back and tell everyone on there that you are".

I can't believe the nasty vindictive comments that have been spouted on here by some with an imagined axe to grind-over a rather rubbish joke but joke nonetheless - dlwchfox-bcos i said his boring post was boring. Sue-bcos she hates the vale pub. And funny enough and when she was slagging it off someone said it was racist against Irish! And obviously the troll djkq-no comment needed there as we all know her amazing powers and skills and trolling. Anyway, even people that don't like my posts thanks for standing up on the side of sense. And thanks for the p.ms of support from others. If the vindictive knee jerkers need to complain about stuff they should check out the Joke thread in the lounge! And yes i would have made same joke about any restaurant that was subject of the OP. So there.

Wherever people sit re: unclebens original post, his scattergun defence (sue is having a pop because she hates the vale??? ) is bizarre

People are free to criticise any business because of the service/quality etc. criticising the vale because they are Irish bogtrotters would be an example of racism and I don't think anyone is doing that

StraferJack Wrote:

> Wherever people sit re: unclebens original post,

> his scattergun defence (sue is having a pop

> because she hates the vale??? ) is bizarre

>

> People are free to criticise any business because

> of the service/quality etc. criticising the vale

> because they are Irish bogtrotters would be an

> example of racism and I don't think anyone is

> doing that

Not scattergun at all, just couldn't be bothered to waste more time, but your stirring worked and got me back. But only to say above.

Sue Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I actually laughed at the Chicken tarka masala

> > joke.

> >

> > People are forever being accused of racism on

> > here... I think it's a sport for some people.

> > Better to stay out of it, you can't win.

>

> xxxxxxx

>

> Maybe they are being accused of racism because

> they are making what many people clearly perceive

> as being racist comments.

>

> And allowing those comments to remain on here

> conveys a very unfortunate image of this forum, in

> my opinion.

>

> The Tarka the Otter joke was completely different

> and yes I would have laughed except I've heard it

> before .....

Perhaps Sue should try their 'C S Lewis masala' it's like the chicken tarka masala, but a bit naania.

Foxhelp Wrote:

> Sue needs secks

Nearly 12,000 posts in 6 and a half years suggests she needs something!!

Back on topic, perhaps the UKBA were acting on a tip off?