North Cross Road collectors?

Who are the people who try to ambush you on Lordship Lane at the end of North Cross Road?  I never make eye contact and charge through.

There seemed to be a load of police hovering around them yesterday afternoon but possibly unconnected.

They're supporting a youth charity/organisation that produces a magazine that they sell on the streets. 

I'm not 100% sure as I couldn't remember the name, but from quick bit of research it could be "Inside Success" who've had some bad press in the past for their tactics and handling of donations and have similar blue "uniform" and branding?

well behaved at Paddington.

On a promise of a direct donation to a website, they refuse, you have to buy a magazine. I suspect they are not paid but get a slice of what they sell. Like the lads selling overpriced tea towels door-to-door

this is the same as the people who used to try and get you to switch power supplier (eventually banned). They had no further info tolook at. You just had to agree to their form of words (of which you had no proof) and sign. They were paid for every signature.

Perhaps if you had gone & had a chat with them rather than jumping to the wrong prejudicial conclusions (ie your phrase “a lot of police around possibly unconnected- “) you’d have discovered that they are selling a magazine called ‘Inside Success’ raising funds to combat knife crime and to help London’s disadvantaged youth.

They are always enthusiastic, polite & friendly. Next time you see them, I hope you’ll buy a magazine.

IMG_7949.jpeg

IMG_7948.jpeg

IMG_7945.jpeg

IMG_7946.jpeg

Some interesting findings on them from the Fundraising Regulator earlier this year https://www.fundraisingregulator.org.uk/more-from-us/resources/inside-success-union-cic-january-2024

Code themes examined: Pressurised fundraising, misleading fundraising, fundraising licenses, causing an obstruction, wearing appropriate identification when engaged in street fundraising, complaint handling and learning from complaints. 

Code breach? Yes 

[...]

In most  complaints, we found a recurring theme that members of the public felt that ISU employees placed undue pressure on people to donate. None of the complainants indicated they had been pressured to buy a magazine or sign up for a subscription; only to donate or make a “one-off contribution”.  Moreover, some complainants told us that they were led to believe that the vendors were representing a charity instead of a community interest company. Considering this, we concluded that ISU breached sections of the code that prohibit misleading donors and pressuring them unduly to donate.  

They are certainly persistent - they try to sell us it every time we walk up and down Lordship Lane - no matter if you told them no thank you three minutes earlier! Anyone else feel that sense of relief when you walk and see they have someone they are talking (invariably looking like they are trying to get away) allowing you to walk past without becoming their next sale target?

I’ve donated several times. They operate all over london and I think usually it’s an opportunity for these kids. 

amazing to read the responses to this stuff. As someone has suggested go and have a chat next time