Which Dulwich - East/West/Village?

23 hours ago, jazzer said:

SE23 has always been known as the over spill to SE22, for those that wish but can't afford it, however look at all the benefits SE23 has to offer, as they say, the choice is yours, oh, sorry wrong show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup...We started looking to buy around West Dulwich...Too Expensive

East Dulwich was affordable then (2010) but did'nt find anything we liked ..

Hence brought FH/ED borders Near Horniman.

The reality is though that had we brought the poky Victorian Terrace in ED back then We'd have made more money on it but We have zero regrets and it somehow feels much greener here despite the South Circular running through the high street.

I've not heard of many moving to SE23 from SE22 or choosing SE23 over SE22 in the first place.  Certainly Clapham and other expensive places to the west.  It may be that this is my demographic but there was always a feeling that Forest Hill was rougher, off the beaten track, until the arrival of the Overground changed everything.  But there again the gentrification of Penge is astonishing

3 minutes ago, malumbu said:

I've not heard of many moving to SE23 from SE22 or choosing SE23 over SE22 in the first place.  Certainly Clapham and other expensive places to the west.  It may be that this is my demographic but there was always a feeling that Forest Hill was rougher, off the beaten track, until the arrival of the Overground changed everything.  But there again the gentrification of Penge is astonishing

That's interesting, because I thought the Overground would transform Forest Hill, but I don't see much evidence of that.

Have I missed it?

Can't say I've noticed much change in Penge either though, on the rare occasions I go there 😂 , so maybe I'm just inattentive ....

Posted (edited)

What the Overground has done is transformed the demographics of FH.  Plenty more young families and couples. 

I love the green of Forest Hill, this time of year Forest Hill is lovely - it is exploding with green everywhere.

One of the other reasons we moved here is we didn't want a conversion flat and places like Penge, Forest Hill, Sydenham and Beckenham have a better range of mid century purpose built private blocks of flats - which was what we wanted for preference.

Well obviously for preference we wanted a house,  but not everyone has the OPs budget 😄

Edited by Cyclemonkey

1 hour ago, malumbu said:

Big up for the SE23 Massive!  Good discussion on their local forum (which has become a bit more interesting after being in the doldrums for a decade): https://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14870

The Times article is a bit (trying to think of an inoffensive word) but they and the Standard have to fill their property pages with something

Crikey, I think I will give the SE23 forum a miss after reading that lot!

Though I remember back in the day it was very strange. I can't remember exactly why now.

I wouldn't recommend Forest Hill if you have a child in one of the Dulwich private schools and you intend to cycle. ..that hill is very steep.

In my opinion the ideal locations would be around Court Lane/near library - I used to cycle across Dulwich Park with my little one to go to one of these schools - when I used to live there. Houses might be on the smaller side.

around North Dulwich/Herne Hill great transport link to the City and you are also close to Brockwell Park 

or West Dulwich (not the most exciting area but very quiet and very convenient for DP, pre Prep and DC.)  Nice houses as well.

That was drafted a few days ago.  But I seriously have to disagree with Cycle Monkey.  The eastern edges of SE23 are extremely convenient for St Dunstan's, and on the lower parts of SE23 a doable ride to Sydenham High.  Not that either was a factor for us.

3 hours ago, malumbu said:

My seriously disagreeing was similarly not serious. Hope that doesn't not make sense.  😁

😂😂😂

Hello, apologies for radio silence.

Thanks for the insight, some useful elements here, and I've even had some 'very' interesting direct messages, so I'm glad I posted.

Regarding the comments, I'm quite aware that my budget is probably flirting with houses in the village but I'm not really keen to go any further SE than the bottom end of Lordship, and ideally to the West of it. Reasons are not pure snobbery, most of my mates/family etc all live out SW, it already is 20 minutes further away from all of that by looking at the Village sort of area. 

Have looked at a few things since this post, and the good news mostly is that almost everywhere we've been (mostly around WD and a couple in DV itself) is MUCH more inline with what we're looking for than where we are in terms of neighbourhood. One issue I've identified with WD however is that its a bit of a blackspot for decent London parks on foot.

But interesting discussion for sure.

House prices have gone mad, but for £2mn I’m pretty sure you could still buy a decent sized house in the north Dulwich ‘triangle’ between Half Moon Lane and Herne Hill? 

Yes you can. Though there has been a distinct lack of them of late. Also part of me is drawn now to the allure of a larger house in West Dulwich where I can be link detached/semi at worst. The gardens are also still quite small in most of the triangle IMO.

Posted (edited)

FWIW when we were looking to buy in the area recently, there weren't that many properties listed.  Of the properties that were listed you could eliminate 80% of them because they needed work doing that wasn't reflected in the price.  I think people are a bit in denial about construction costs nowadays.

It's not a good market if you need to move.

Edited by the_hermit