Which Dulwich - East/West/Village?

I've known of this forum for a while, and given its very active and obviously contains a lot of locals I thought this would be a good place to ask... I have a dilemma and I could find some old thread from '14, but obviously in a decade much has changed with all of these areas (maybe the village less so) - so some background I'll supply, and I'd love to know what folks think on the area that will suit best based on below situation and wants/needs

Us

• Mid/late 30's have lived nearer to Clapham/Brixton for many years - current house large enough but small garden, and Brixton area not great for kids plus long school commute
  • A young kid starting school in the not too distant future (school slap bang in the middle of all the Dulwich's (not state, so without naming it, you get the idea of location)
  • Work remote mostly around St Pauls a few days (both parents) so half decent links to that area of London good 

Requirements

• Access out of London to the SW/W required occasionally by car, don't know anyone further East/South really
  • Want a larger garden for kid/us - ideally semi detached house at the least and nothing smaller than what we have (which rules out most of ED apart from Upland/Friern type houses)
  • Things locally to do with kids (soft play/fun park/cinema etc) and also a few handy shops (Rosendale Road/Park Hall Road would likely cover most little things)
  • Nice and relatively safe neighbourhood feel - currently most of our street are 20 something sharers who aren't able to work out how the wheeliebins work/Brixton nutters roam about here
  • Not too loud, there is a lot of noise where we are now, and its not what I want next time - so away from main road/bus route ideally.
  • Ideally a walk to school or very short car/bike/scooter ride weather permitting it is one of the well known Dulwich schools 

My take on things - please correct me/add to this, as I am not a local!

• Budget is up to around £2m, and in ED to get the same size house (circa 1800 sqft 4/5 bed) I'd probably end up quite a way from things, either on Upland/Friern or the bottom of Peck Rye for example I've seen some houses, seems a bit remote - most of the houses with good access to Lordship are quite small.
  • Houses in the Village are either too expensive or are going to be the same as what I have now albeit with a better garden, but decent neighbourhood feel/access to park/local shops and things etc I feel is peak here of all areas - its nice and quiet - transport is a bit pants mind you
  • Houses in WD seem to be larger in size, have nice sized gardens, depending how close I can get to WD station, the school is very close, there are 3 stations that would work well, and there is a small selection of local shops, feels OK neighbourhood wise? Nearer Norwood end I worry of all the things I dislike about being near Brixton, but maybe that is unfounded.

On balance I think trying to buy something around Rosendale road shops in either direction a couple hundred meters is likely going to offer the best house, best transport options, and meet my criteria with quieter life and being best for the school. But it isn't close to any of the parks really, and is it a bit dull if I get sick of The Rosendale?

Dulwich Village I suspect is the best all round option but transport isn't great and obviously its the most expensive, and the LTN on Court Lane makes living in the roads there (which is likely all I could afford) and trying to get out SW a pain as you have to go all the way around. I like Lordship lane the most as a place for 'stuff' (although not sure these days if its that child compatible with loads of young people?), but house wise I'd likely end up too far from anything interesting as anything within a short walk of LL is pretty small and they don't have decent sized gardens.

Any opinions welcome and encouraged as short of spending bloody ages online I only know what I know from my handful of visits to either location over the years.

Edited by Dulwichprospect1986

Don't forget South end of Underhill Road.  Good sized houses with good sized gardens and short walk to Dulwich park, Dulwich Woods, Horniman and Peckham Rye.  Transport access in five different directions which is super useful and the little P13 gets you to Lordship Lane shops in no time. Easy parking. 

IMO a little part of Dulwich underappreciated by some living right near East Dulwich shops but much liked by those that find their way to this quiet corner of Dulwich.

Good luck to you

39 minutes ago, Moovart said:

IMO a little part of Dulwich underappreciated by some living right near East Dulwich shops but much liked by those that find their way to this quiet corner of Dulwich.

As a resident in this part I would agree, with the proviso that it's quite hilly so not ideal cycling territory for the frailer or very much younger. Obviously good access to the South Circular, now virtually the only east: west route open after LTN closures. Only one blue plaque - C S Forester. Most houses are Victorian or Edwardian with some slightly earlier. Generally 4-6 Bedrooms depending on attic conversions.

Jump into Lewisham, just the other side of Woodvale is the "Horniman Heights" with a mix of semi's and larger Victorian houses. Probably safer and quieter than perhaps where you are and have been looking.  And no need to blow £2m.

Edited by jazzer

Forest Hill area around Manor Mount/Horniman gardens...Or Off of Honor Oak Rd

good transport Links (Overground and Southern to London Bridge)  decent Bus Routes (P4 goes past Dulwich College and into the Village).

Very easy to get to Crystal Palace park

Horniman Gardens and museum on the doorstep Horniman Triangle kids playground

Dulwich Woods and Dulwich Park and riding school in walking distance.

A few decent pubs and again easy to go to Peckham, and ED for good resturants.

A few excellent coffee shops where you can get lunch.

Theres a brilliant Thai resturant (Matoom) and a very good Japanesese (Sushi Garden) and 2 family friendly pubs/bars that serve good food (The Signal and Sylvan Post).

a fantastic butcher, a couple of Deli's and a Sainsbury for all the other 'stuff'

There is also a local pool and small gym

We've lived in this area (Near Horniman border of Lewisham and Southwark) for 13 years having moved from Notting Hill.

It feels very safe and is family friendly..We were originally looking to buy in Dulwich but did'nt want a small victorian terrace we got more for our money here and have been very happy.

Edited by NewWave
spelling

I can't really comment on the general West/East/Village discussion.  It's all out of my price range, and like others I expect, we moved here when the area was much more affordable and dare I say much of it 'ordinary'.  But was thinking exactly the same as New Wave regards to SE23 as a place to live, and convenient for SE22 etc for visiting including buses and an easy cycle.  You have hills of course in Forest Hill but this adds to the charm (and from a lot of places the views).

At the edge of Forest Hill you have the best pub in the country, the Blythe Hill Tavern.  Pubs can get better, and can get worse, as they do everywhere, including Forest Hill, but the Blythe is consistently great for the craic and the beer (no restaurant but the pizza van comes at weekends).

Plenty of properties getting up to 2 million, and a few beyond, in SE23.  Premium for large Victorian houses, such as the lovely Christmas houses which come with large gardens, and being on a hill, many 30s houses extended and modernised.

Down side is perpetual building work, noise, skips, builders.  Expect that the same in newly gentrified atras

Posted (edited)

Simple thing us to find a house you like and buy it, areas change, sometimes for better , sometimes for worse, but if you find the right house with amenities nearby then you are a winner.

The neighbourhood itself doesn't matter but what's around you that is important to you does. 

Edited by Spartacus

I wouldn't completely rule out being more central in East Dulwich due to smaller houses - you can definitely get a house the size you need on Crystal Palace Road, for example, (and potentially Fellbrigg or Ulverscroft). CPR has a lot of semi-detached houses that would be roughly 1800 square foot if you include a loft conversion. And the gardens are decent sizes. The top end (IE the end nearer Dulwich Library) is very near Dulwich Park, and the 185, 40 and 197 buses on Lordship Lane go straight to Denmark Hill which gets you into Blackfriars in 12 minutes. It's a lovely walk to St Paul's in the morning, I do it every day. It's very near Dulwich College, Alleyns or JAGs, depending on which school you're referring to! Our son is at DC and he either walks through the park or gets the P13 bus. So that's what I'd do if I was you. 

2 hours ago, Bet01 said:

I wouldn't completely rule out being more central in East Dulwich due to smaller houses - you can definitely get a house the size you need on Crystal Palace Road, for example, (and potentially Fellbrigg or Ulverscroft). CPR has a lot of semi-detached houses that would be roughly 1800 square foot if you include a loft conversion. And the gardens are decent sizes. The top end (IE the end nearer Dulwich Library) is very near Dulwich Park, and the 185, 40 and 197 buses on Lordship Lane go straight to Denmark Hill which gets you into Blackfriars in 12 minutes. It's a lovely walk to St Paul's in the morning, I do it every day. It's very near Dulwich College, Alleyns or JAGs, depending on which school you're referring to! Our son is at DC and he either walks through the park or gets the P13 bus. So that's what I'd do if I was you. 

Even with a loft and kitchen conversion, the houses in Ulverscroft Road are relatively small, and to the best of my knowledge none of them have large gardens.

Some of them have had ground floor extensions which leave them with hardly any  garden at all, just a very small sitting space.

I don't know about Fellbrigg, but certainly some of the Crystal Palace Road houses are bigger, with bigger gardens.

Everyone just hypes their area.  You need to find someone who has moved away from the area, or owns houses in all these areas(!), for an unbiased view.

FWIW there are loads of families living on the smarter roads off Lordship Lane and plenty of 1,800 sq ft after side-return/loft-conversion with kids in the private and state primaries/secondaries.  If you want 1,800sq ft before conversion with big garden then you are better off looking at WD, Village or the area near Aquarius Golf Club (Marmora Road etc).  If your kids are at private schools you have plenty of options.

You are me 15-20 years ago. I agree with Vladi and would go for Herne Hill / North Dulwich triangle. More generally, if you are definitely opting for private schooling, it makes no sense to pay a premium for a house in a prized state school catchment.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NewWave said:

OP gone very quiet..

Indeed and possibly because with such an extensive wish list as stated, it will be a nigh on impossible to achieve a suitable property for that budget, outside the Village or Alleyn Park area. Even then, all wishes being equal, it would need  > £3m to get a suitable  property. 

Compromise  would seem appropriate therefore , which suggests rating each "wish" in order of priority.

Edited by vladi

SE23 has always been known as the over spill to SE22, for those that wish but can't afford it, however look at all the benefits SE23 has to offer, as they say, the choice is yours, oh, sorry wrong show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!