Proposed development at 2 Rodwell Road

rjr

Hi there,

The owners of 2 rodwell road are planning to turn a lovely double front semi detached period property into a 3 story block of flats complete with roof terrace, under the following proposal:

http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9550556

Aside from clearly not being in keeping with the neighbourhood, I do believe this will affect right of light in several of the neighbouring properties.

Has anyone had any experience of this type of thing, and how likely it would be to get planinng permission?

Thanks in advance,

RJ

In my experience if the developer is unscrupulous he'll walk all over the planning department at Southwark, run rings around them, if you point out works not applied for have been carried-out Southwark will be too spineless to do anything about it. Forget the theory.

Good luck.

You'll need your wits about you.

You can speak to a light consultant who can advise you if they think the plans submitted will pose a right to light issue. If they suspect there is, raise your concerns with planning and they can request that a full daylight survey be done.

Are you opposed to the extension, or converting the house into flats or both?

We almost bought house last year but it fell through. Then it appeared on the market this year for 130k more than our agreed price. Crazy.

As I recall the "side return" section doesn't immediately overlook other properties, so I can see why the developer thought they could get away with it. But at the same time I think that two storey extensions are quite unusual, so I would expect the council to treat it with caution.

The whole "right to light" issue is very vague with the council as they do tend to take the view there is no right to light unless the structure is built right up to a window completely blocking everything. Its always in favour of the applicant hardly ever for those who will b stuck and effected by additional building works... ime

I have had problems with this since 2004.

i have a window [ living room that would almost certainly lose light]

council have refused several applications[ they have been on my side ]

then greedy unscrupulous developer, who does not give a shit about anybody

even the poor fecker that is going to buy his rabbit hole development.

goes to appeal. appeal refused, so re appeal sooner or later some

up his own arse ajudicator lets him win his appeal.

I am yet to see a development that is better than what it has replaced.

I hope RJ that this does not affect you or your neighbours and wish you luck

I HATE DEVELOPERS

Lynne

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I been trying to find examples of work by Elsie

> Owusu Architects.

>

> Can anyone point me in the right direction?

>

> Thanks.

>

> John K

Here's one John. The fenestration pattern is similar to what is proposed at the rear of Rodwell... http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/footprint/footprint-blog/-elsie-owusu-collaborates-with-sir-peter-blake-on-low-energy-house-in-hackney/8631562.article

This gives you some background info... http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/elsie-owusu/8624807.article

If the development does create light issues -- and there are official guidelines to determine such things that I have seen planners apply- it needs to be revised. With that said, the flats themselves are really well designed. Its rare to see such generous sized two bed flats-- both rooms are good sized doubles, 2 bathroom, built in closets and storage. Its nice to see something being developed that's not a rabbit hutch.

Thanks for all the info. We will take action and see what happens!

LondonMix - we are opposed to such a bulky development addition, which is virtually tripling the size of the property. This will mean a loss of privacy for the residents of the first few houses in pellatt road, a loss of light for the adjoining houses in crystal palace road, and significant disturbance for the neighbours on rodwell road. I'm all for development if it fits with the character of a property and doesn't adversely affect in the long term surrounding neighbours....

katgod - architects often apply for planning on behalf of their clients, so it could the case here too.

Cheers!

If you look at this plan and also the Oakhurst Grove development, I think we're going to see more of these types of applications from higher end developers pushing the envelope of what has been traditionally possible from a planning perspective.

When you consider the amount the developer would have paid for the property, and that they will be practically rebuilding it (doubling the volume, completely reconfiguring the interior while preserving the frontage)... they're obviously hoping to sell at the very upper end of the price bracket for flats.