???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Obviously one game can change everything but i do

> like our momentum at the moment and Man City's is

> going the other way. We have a potentially crucial

> game against Man U at home and Arsenal too but we

> are currently 5/1 for a top 4 position which I

> think is good value.

Surprised to see City at 4/6, especially as Pellegrini is going to prioritise the CL over the PL. We're about right at 15/8, would have West Ham at 2/1, so definitely good value at 5's...

In spite of it being a fantastically open season you have to worry a bit about the overall standard of the EPL. Our clubs seem a million miles from winning one of the major European trophies at the moment and it was only a few years ago we were regularly getting teams in European finals. We're a million miles behind Barcelona, Munich and even Juventus. Although we fielded a weakened side, Spurs were totally outclassed by Dortmund.

It may just be a cyclical thing I suppose but I can't see Leicester of Spurs pulling up trees in the Champions league next season.

earlydoors Wrote:

> In spite of it being a fantastically open season

> you have to worry a bit about the overall standard

> of the EPL. Our clubs seem a million miles from

> winning one of the major European trophies at the

> moment and it was only a few years ago we were

> regularly getting teams in European finals. We're

> a million miles behind Barcelona, Munich and even

> Juventus. Although we fielded a weakened side,

> Spurs were totally outclassed by Dortmund.

> It may just be a cyclical thing I suppose but I

> can't see Leicester of Spurs pulling up trees in

> the Champions league next season.

I think the likes of Barcelona, Bayern, JUventus and Dortmund have improved at the same time.

The Leicester surge and flopping Mancs etc. has also meant far more interest and entertainment in this year's PL than the CL which some fans are bored shitless with.

So England & Italy aren't doing too well in it - who cares? European clubs are more desperate than ever for PL cash - the CL needs PL clubs and European Big Hitters are panicking that the 'big' PL clubs are in decline and their European Super League dreams don't include Leicester!

ATM I'd rather watch Leicester-Watford than Barca-Dortmund.

maxxi Wrote:

> The Leicester surge and flopping Mancs etc. has

> also meant far more interest and entertainment in

> this year's PL than the CL which some fans are

> bored shitless with.

>

> So England & Italy aren't doing too well in it -

> who cares? European clubs are more desperate than

> ever for PL cash - the CL needs PL clubs and

> European Big Hitters are panicking that the 'big'

> PL clubs are in decline and their European Super

> League dreams don't include Leicester!

>

> ATM I'd rather watch Leicester-Watford than

> Barca-Dortmund.

I get the sentiment- but Barca v Dortmund would be a thing of rare beauty. They're both playing such lovely, different level football.

The crispness and accuracy of passing, the first touches, the movement off the ball including pressing, the little tricks and flourishes, the pace. It's all so much better than anything being played in the premier league.

I'm listening to a profile of Leicester on 5 live. It does seem like it's almost a celebration of Leicester being champions. I hate this type of media attention when it's heaped on Spurs, which is not often I admit, but we were being tipped as champions a couple of weeks ago.

I think it could jinx Leicester. Stuff like this gets in the players heads. They start congratulating themselves before anything's been won.

I'm saddened by the death of Johan Cruyff. A true footballing legend. A remarkably gifted player. As I mentioned in my Chapel of Rest post I saw him get nutmegged four times by Glenn Hoddle in the first half of a UEFA Cup tie at White Hart Lane. This was when Cruyff was 36 and Hoddle was in his pomp. Spurs absolutely destroyed Feyenoord in that first half at White Hart Lane going four-nil up with Hoddle supplying the killer passes for all four goals. Cruyff got one back in the second half with terrific goal himself.

I went to both games home and away and just looked it up on You Tube and there they are so I thought I'd share this little trip down memory lane. Spurs had a terrific team back then. Though the link doesn't show the nutmegs it's a reminder of how good that team was particularly Hoddle. Enjoy the footage.

Johann Cruyff, inventor of Total Football, along with Rinus Michels.

He also invented the 'Cruyff turn'

A true Dutch master and very sad to see him passing.

'Brilliant Orange' is a great book which is about Cruyff, Ajax, Holland and Total football.

They were part timers when he started playing.

Bit random, but I think he was also named after Dennis Law.

It's sad that Holland didn't qualify for the European Championships. They've been such a positive force in football for so many years ( we'll gloss over the World Cup final against Spain)

For a country of 15 million people they have really punched above their weight and quite frankly have put us to shame.

Cruyff and Rinus Michels were the architects of this and they have produced some of the greatest players in world football: Johan Neeskens, Johnny Rep, Ruud Krol, Marco Van Basten, Ruud Gullit, Dennis Bergkamp, Aaren Robben....the list goes on.

I've learned the hard way not to get carried away with friendly results. Remember when we beat Brazil at the Maracana with that Barnes goal. My cause for concern is our central defence. We conceded two soft goals and we will get found out in a tournament if it's not tightened up.

Great performance from the Tottenham boys and Vardy though.