Speeding Cars

Everywhere in East Dulwich car drivers routinely break the 20 and 30 mph speed limits

This causes all sorts of serious physical injuries and even kills children and adults

When is this problem going to be dealt with seriously?

More traffic calming measures are urgently needed now

So in the three years 2009, 2010, 2011

Due to speeding cars in Southwark

Four people were killed

Thirty three people were seriously injured

Yet the police only give out "points" for speeding if they do anything at all

Time to crackdown on speeding motorists before more people are killed and injured by motor-hooligans

Some ideas:

confiscate and destroy any car observed exceeding the speed limit

only allow a speeder to ride bikes for five years after prosecution

name and shame speeders

introduce compulsory speed limiters at 20mph to be fitted to all cars where there are pedestrians and cyclists in danger from motor-hooligans

green ranger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Some ideas:

>

> confiscate and destroy any car observed exceeding

> the speed limit

>

> only allow a speeder to ride bikes for five years

> after prosecution

>

> name and shame speeders

>

> introduce compulsory speed limiters at 20mph to be

> fitted to all cars where there are pedestrians and

> cyclists in danger from motor-hooligans

I just got it, had me going there for a while, Clarkson.

Look, stop it OK, satire's all well and good but well, actually it was pretty funny.

LadyDeliah Wrote:

> I wish people would get as up in arms about

> dangerous car drivers as they do about cyclists.

But don't they? People I mean.

Dangerous car drivers will surely bring down criticism and disapproval on their heads, deservedly so.

Cyclists, will surely be, for the most part, ignored unless one of them does something unpleasant.

I'm people by the way.

Yeh I bit. Took a second post though :-)

But it's true, I do agree there should be much harsher penalties for dangerous drivers and I think some of the venom directed towards cyclists that is pretty common place, might be more useful of it were directed towards other, more dangerous road users.

Saw a cracker today. Some idiot driving past Harris Boys up towards the traffic lights near Co=op on Forest Hill Road this afternoon. Must have been doing 50 mph. Any speed cameras along there??? If so, hope you got caught mate whoever you are = pretty irresponsible driving.....

I'm not a fan of cameras, given that drivers simply speed up after passing them. There is a camera on that road, but what it really needs is one that measures average speed. Forest Hill road presents a nice opportunity for the speed lovers to open the taps a little and in my opinion is one of the most dangerous roads in the area. Some of them travel through at outrageous speeds, particularly late at night.

hpsaucey Wrote:

> Saw a cracker today. Some idiot driving past

> Harris Boys up towards the traffic lights near

> Co=op on Forest Hill Road this afternoon. Must

> have been doing 50 mph. Any speed cameras along

> there??? If so, hope you got caught mate whoever

> you are = pretty irresponsible driving.....

The current speed bumps make absolutely no difference too so am not sure what other speed calming measure they can use. I regularly hear a car, bus or lorry hit its underside from travelling too fast over the ones outside my flat!

to be honest, there arent that many places people can speed. as most of the time the cars are stationary with traffic.

Lordship lane is always jammed with traffic. the lights at ED station stop all the traffic flow...

and so you say 4 people have been killed...due to speeding in three years... wonder what the average is in the UK or other boroughs?

The number of people I see speeding, when I'm sedately doing the limit or just under, astounds me. I don't understand why more aren't caught/fined/have points/go on speed awareness courses/get barred.

Had to laugh the other day though when I was overtaken at considerable speed (I was doing 20 - the limit) by a car and a van on Lancaster Ave, and then caught up with them at the lights where we all had to wait...

Twirly Wrote:

>

> Had to laugh the other day though when I was

> overtaken at considerable speed (I was doing 20 -

> the limit) by a car and a van on Lancaster Ave,

> and then caught up with them at the lights where

> we all had to wait...

That's my pet hate - I sometimes try & give them a chirpy wave wi a big grin plastered over my (gritted teeth). Benchley Gardens is really bad - despite it being a 20 limit for the majority of it, I often see cars doing 50+, had one charming guy give me the finger for shaking my head in disbelief at his speed a few wks back (was waiting to turn out of Kelvington Rd).

A few weeks ago I stopped, on Underhill, to let an oncoming ambulance on blues and twos have a clear run past me (it was heading towards me, the road is narrow) - I was overtaken, at speed, but a hooting guy in a car that then had to swerve violently to avoid the ambulance.

There are idiots and then there are ********* idiots.

I know road furniture is a boor, but we do need, at least until it sinks in, a lot more 20mph signs rather than just where the limit starts. The French system of Rapelle signs to remind people a limit is still in force might be worth copying (particularly on the long roads like Underhill as it goes up past the cemetery).

On the 11th of april 2009 was on my way home after work, was crossing lordship lane at the island as I live in melford road where I was hit by a black Mercedes doing I was told between 40 and 50 mph. the driver was on the wrong side of the road. I had no chance. luckily for me a nurse from kings saw the accident, I suffered double breaks n my left leg and a smashed right eye socket. got a permanent steel rod and screws in my leg and a titanium eye socket, the driver was never caught. night after night I hear cars and bikes speeding. when will the police/ council listen and do something about this before someone is killed

SkyofFire Wrote:

> L15ecr Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The current speed bumps make absolutely no

> > difference too

>

>

> Rubbish.

The ones that run the whole length of the road do make a difference (ie Dunstans Road), but the ones that are just cushions (?) with two or three across the road don't. We have those on our road, and they slow down the little cars (Smart cars and other narrow wheel base cars) but regular cars, 4X4s and vans just carry on as though they aren't there. Our road is supposed to be 20mph, but it's just ignored and I hear vans especially zooming down at many times of the day - and that's with parked cars on both sides of the road. It's not rubbish.

I abhor speed bumps. How about hidden speed cameras, average speed cameras, mobile speed cameras and some actual traffic enforcement officers to manage not just speed but other forms of bad / dangerous driving? Also, harsher penalties for those caught - not bigger fines, which those with the money to pay them can just shrug off - but licence suspensions, speed restricters and bans (seriously)?

Speed bumps are a blunt tool that encourage people into bigger cars, to break and accelerate the whole time (adding to noise and pollution) and slow down emergency vehicles. They're a lazy way of addressing speeding and a very blunt tool.