French lessons....?

syncro

Hello hello!

My life beginning at 40 begins next week *groan*

I have my bucket list, things I want to do, including learning French! Just curious as to what method I should use? My partner had Spanish lessons, met someone who advertised on here for an hour a week for a while but it didn't really sink in. Has anyone had any experience of learning another language? Is the immersion technique the way to go?

Would appreciate any help!

Thanks

I listen to a basic French course on my iTouch when I'm travelling, sitting in the garden etc. It's just like listening to any music, over time you begin to remember the 'lyrics'. It's a good way to pick up the basics of the French vocabulary.

A better way might be to try and find a (very patient) French speaker, with who you can just casually sit down and chat with, maybe a French speaker who wants to improve their English, rather than sitting down lesson style and trying to learn like your partner did.

But if you think rigid lessons will work for you, you could try evening classes, courses usually start in the Autumn.

Bonne chance!...

Thanks, I will see what I can download onto my iphone.

There are these lessons I've found, 2 lessons a week, each lesson 3 hours long, and for 2 Months. From day one, the tutor doesn't speak English, it's immersion technique and everything I am reading says it's a good way of learning.

It's ?300, wouldn't mind paying that if it works!

Go for the immersion technique and do it at least twice a week, more if you can. Alternatively, save up and go and live with a teacher in France/Belgium where you will be obliged to think and speak in French. A couple of weeks would really help you.

Ah right. He's very good at getting you started off in a language when you know nothing at all.

Aside from being a language guru, Michel Thomas was a fascinating guy. He was a member of the French Resistance and spent much of the war in the camps, which is where he honed his language skills.

giggirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ah right. He's very good at getting you started

> off in a language when you know nothing at all.

>

> Aside from being a language guru, Michel Thomas

> was a fascinating guy. He was a member of the

> French Resistance and spent much of the war in the

> camps, which is where he honed his language

> skills.

I was just reading up about him actually, yes a fascinating life. The courses are all read by him, has a kind of 'wise old man' voice.. :)

I've done the first hour of the foundation course, interesting method. Most of today's basic stuff I could remember from School but have downloaded 10 hours of the course! Will find somewhere to sit tomorrow with my earphones on and try and get through some more.

Fingers crossed! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm having a clear out and have several French grammar and conjugation books, a dictionary (Le Robert Micto Poche - so not an English to French one, just French) and an A-Level French Letts study guide.

They're a bit old but in perfect condition. If anyone wants them, just let me know, I'm not asking for any money, I just want them to be put to good use.

Thanks

Vicki

:)

I'm not joking, Peppa Pig in French/Spanish is excellent. The situations are obvious and its spoken extremely clearly, whilst keeping the grammar as simple as possible.

I watch it with my son, ostesibly to help teach him, but it really helps keep my ear alert sa after a couple of years of not going to Spain it can easily take a week for me to stop saying 'm?s despacio por favor' all the time.